Pod Your Reef

Any growth with Build my Led lights?

DeeBee

Hello. A lot of folks on Nano-Reef have tried the strip lights by BML and many seem to be very pleased. However, I am never able to find any long term results around coral growth. Typcially the positive reviews are around the coverage and the color... and some around immediate coral response.

Has anyone had any significant growth with LPS or SPS with these lights? I am very interested in trying the lights but don't want to waste my money if they won't grow anything.

Appreciate the input.

jedimasterben

No, they can't grow corals, since corals need light, and BML uses LEDs (which are light emitting diodes). ;)

And FYI, light is only a part of the equation.

Even the older LED fixtures with just cool white and blue emitters can certainly grow corals. The BMLs will make the corals look a whole lot nicer, though :)

Expanding on JMBs comment, if other factors are off (temp, flow, nutrients, water chemistry, etc.) even the 'best' lights of any type may not help corals to grow.

So that this doesn't get off topic my question isn't around the merits of growing coral with leds and proper husbandry. Just wondering if anyone out there has used BML long term in a reef tank and is satisfied with them.

I think determining whether or not the BML lights will work also depends on the dimensions of the tank you intend on using them on. While I have no first hand experience, I would say a shallow tank like a 12 or 20 long would be OK with a single strip. Anything bigger would require 2 more and would make the BML not too cost effective compared to other fixtures.

They're located here and we have a ton of local members using them. They definitely grow coral. I have not however seen any side by side comparisons but have seen them being used for years on all types of reef tanks.

Also, if you are considering them, the newer 20K fixture gives coral the best color of any lighting I've ever seen. One of our LFS's had it over their red sea 150 and it was amazing. That tank is the one in the photos and video on their site as well and it is pretty much spot on to the actual color.

I have a couple of the 20K strips from BML on two different tanks (30" and 12"), and I have seen appreciable growth in gorgonians (both upright and encrusting growth forms), leathers, and palys. Too lazy to worry about progression photos (or I simply don't care to), but they seem to work as well as any other LED lighting we use on "reef" aquariums. I used them for the small form factor, and have accidentally tested their "waterproofness" - not sure they are worth any sort of "premium" over other lights, but I like them. :)

I have a couple of the 20K strips from BML on two different tanks (30" and 12"), and I have seen appreciable growth in gorgonians (both upright and encrusting growth forms), leathers, and palys. Too lazy to worry about progression photos (or I simply don't care to), but they seem to work as well as any other LED lighting we use on "reef" aquariums. I used them for the small form factor, and have accidentally tested their "waterproofness" - not sure they are worth any sort of "premium" over other lights, but I like them. :)

Why don't you update your threads? Some of us are interested. :)

My order for a 72" XB custom arrangement similar to the 20K but with an even mix of warm and cool whites is being made tomorrow and will hopefully ship by the end of the week. If I had a shallower tank I would probably be all BML but they are not cost effective for deep tanks, IMO. Fantastic for standard tanks or supplemental light and a great way to mimic T5 without the need to replace the bulbs every 9 months.

Well, I usually take the summer off from the various boards, and now the fall semester has started back up, so I will be a little busy, but I do plan on some updates for all three tanks described previously, and maybe even a new one or two... ;)

My order for a 72" XB custom arrangement similar to the 20K but with an even mix of warm and cool whites is being made tomorrow and will hopefully ship by the end of the week. If I had a shallower tank I would probably be all BML but they are not cost effective for deep tanks, IMO. Fantastic for standard tanks or supplemental light and a great way to mimic T5 without the need to replace the bulbs every 9 months.

Will this be added to the maxspec lighting or are you replacing it?

Archived