inTank Media Baskets

Single Lumina on 20L?

cocojakes

I currently have two custom clusters of LEDs over my 20 long, but am finding I still get more disco than I like, and think maybe switching to a single lumina could be the answer. I tried covering one of the clusters and holding the other cluster over the centre of the tank, and it lights the whole tank fine (no optics since its so shallow) and I'm running everything at 20% or less on 700mA drivers and still having some coral bleaching near the top, so i figure having less power won't be an issue (currently each cluster has 6RB 6TV 4NW 1OCW)

My main question, is what do people think of the luminas colour spectrum and controllability. I have found a factory on aliexpress that sells the exact lumina chips, literally has the whole blurb about them verbatim from LED group buy, but they say they can customize the chip so I'm considering if its worth trying to work out a better arrangement of the LEDs to allow better control over the spectrum?

Also am wondering if its worth it to just get the Lumina 5.2 instead. The smaller chip will minimize disco even more, which i'm all about. any input is appreciated!

One of the things I want to potentially incorporate in redoing the 5.1 layout is add in a channel of 12,000k cool white so that I can use that to make the tank a bit brighter, without also having to bump up the RB channel, ultimately causing in bleaching. I find the tank is fairly dim because the LEDs are so powerful and so close to the corals that I can't run them at the brightness I like (hence extra cool white will make it much brighter without making it yellow out, and without adding too much useful light)

Archived