inTank Media Baskets

Ich help please!

davemort

Howdy all, I have a sumpless 55 gallon tank in its early days. Tank is stocked with a bicolor angel, royal gramma, and a pair of clowns. No coral. Assorted CUC. Serpent star.

I noticed ich yesterday evening on the Angel and today on the Gramma. Since then, they have been moved into a 10 gallon QT tank (heater and HOB filter).

I've done all the reading I can do and I know that the choices are hyposalinity treatment or copper. I'm going with copper, because despite that it can be stressful, I don't think I'm going to be able to keep up with the demands of hyposalinity (I'm a teacher, this is a really busy time of year).

The question is:

Can a 10 gallon tank, with an every other day 50% water change (I think I can swing that), accomdate all my fish? I know it is best to treat them all as they are likely all hosting the parasite.

I also have a UV sterilizer inbound, which I will run at a very low GPH to address parasites in the main tank. The clowns show no sign of infection and are eating well. Is hoping for the best, by leaving the clowns in the main display with the UV sterilizer, a foolish idea?

If the 10 gallon can handle all the fish, I'll move them all. I just don't want to introduce a second problem by over crowding a tiny tank for 6-8 weeks.

I wouldn't even bother QTing unless you QT all fish. You don't need a "tank" for a QT, just buy a 20 or 30g gallon rubbermaid/brute that is food safe.

Ich often infects the gills first so the clowns not showing signs does not mean they don't have it.

Howdy all, I have a sumpless 55 gallon tank in its early days. Tank is stocked with a bicolor angel, royal gramma, and a pair of clowns. No coral. Assorted CUC. Serpent star.

I noticed ich yesterday evening on the Angel and today on the Gramma. Since then, they have been moved into a 10 gallon QT tank (heater and HOB filter).

I've done all the reading I can do and I know that the choices are hyposalinity treatment or copper. I'm going with copper, because despite that it can be stressful, I don't think I'm going to be able to keep up with the demands of hyposalinity (I'm a teacher, this is a really busy time of year).

The question is:

Can a 10 gallon tank, with an every other day 50% water change (I think I can swing that), accomdate all my fish? I know it is best to treat them all as they are likely all hosting the parasite.

I also have a UV sterilizer inbound, which I will run at a very low GPH to address parasites in the main tank. The clowns show no sign of infection and are eating well. Is hoping for the best, by leaving the clowns in the main display with the UV sterilizer, a foolish idea?

If the 10 gallon can handle all the fish, I'll move them all. I just don't want to introduce a second problem by over crowding a tiny tank for 6-8 weeks.

I don't have a spot for one of those brutes - I really don't. I live in a little apt with two little kids - it won't end well. However, there was room in my stand for a 10 gallon, and I had a 10 gallon, so I did it.

If I keep up with water changes, can those 4 manage in the 10 gallon? I've provided a bunch of pvc elbows for hiding places.

I don't have a spot for one of those brutes - I really don't. I live in a little apt with two little kids - it won't end well. However, there was room in my stand for a 10 gallon, and I had a 10 gallon, so I did it.

If I keep up with water changes, can those 4 manage in the 10 gallon? I've provided a bunch of pvc elbows for hiding places.

I would say it depends on the size of the fish. Bi-colors can get a decent size. Are they all pretty small yet?

I did 12 fish in a 20g for a week not too long ago to treat them with worms. Some of the fish were tiny gobies though. It worked but I definitely had to do a lot of water changes.

Builder Anthony

I really don't think there's a cure for ich.the best I got was to slow it down.I had a nano and did every day and every other day water changes on the tank.50 to 100 percent but it still came back.I think it really effects certain fish diffently with there natural defenses.your clowns should be OK in the long run under some improved water changes but I fear your fish will die no mater what you try.

I run a reef only tank and find it a lot more peaceful.ichis a devastating disease and lasts a long time in your tank.months but you should be able to save the clowns.qt them for 8 weeks with a new substrate and dong include anything from the infected tank.no fish in that tank for four months.that's my opinion.

No fish is longer than about 2.5 - 3"

Nice job setting up the QT and doing your research!

Make sure you put every fish in the qt. I ran my 10 gal when I battled ich. My Tang, possum wrasse, midas, goby. ...you'll be fine. I did 50 % wc once per week. Get yourself a copper test kit to make sure you don't overdose. And toss in a couple pvc/abs fittings for hide spots. No rock or sand.

Good luck.

Oh, add a power head or an air stone to supply oxygen.

Through UV sterilization and running fallow for a minimum of 3 months you can clear your tank of the parasite. It has to be fallow though (fishless). When it hit me I lost all of my fish and didn't buy another for 4 months... Good luck to you and I hope your fish all pull through.

ps..

Be very careful with the copper dosing as it can be more deadly than the parasite.

NirvanaandTool

I really don't think there's a cure for ich.the best I got was to slow it down.I had a nano and did every day and every other day water changes on the tank.50 to 100 percent but it still came back.I think it really effects certain fish diffently with there natural defenses.your clowns should be OK in the long run under some improved water changes but I fear your fish will die no mater what you try.

I run a reef only tank and find it a lot more peaceful.ichis a devastating disease and lasts a long time in your tank.months but you should be able to save the clowns.qt them for 8 weeks with a new substrate and dong include anything from the infected tank.no fish in that tank for four months.that's my opinion.

What? Where did you come up with this? There are several known treatments for saltwater ich but none are reef safe, if that's what you mean.

Hyposalinity, copper like the OP is going to use, quanine sulfate, tank transfer method.

OP - I recommend you get a really good copper test kit like Salifert. The cheaper copper kits like API aren't accurate enough for the precise copper doses required to beat ich. Good luck.

UV is running full time the last few days, and the skimmer is pulling out progressively yucky junk.

But, one clown, and the bicolor angel have died. And I can't get the Royal Gramma to eat in the QT tank. Tried seaweed laced with garlic, tried PE Mysis, tried freeze dried brine shrimp, tried flakes. Nothing new goes into the tank until early November, and I'm sort of at a loss as to how to get the Gramma to eat. Tips appreciated!

I have the seachem test kit, it was on amazon prime and I'm using Cupramine - also by Seachem. I'm going to go fallow in the display for a few months. Obviously more time is better, I've read as short as 6 weeks and as long as 4 months. Tips on time? I saw 3 months mentioned above.

This really stinks - the tank is about 6 weeks old so having to go fallow for months when it hasn't been set up for months is a real bummer for my family. But it is the way it is...

UV is running full time the last few days, and the skimmer is pulling out progressively yucky junk.

But, one clown, and the bicolor angel have died. And I can't get the Royal Gramma to eat in the QT tank. Tried seaweed laced with garlic, tried PE Mysis, tried freeze dried brine shrimp, tried flakes. Nothing new goes into the tank until early November, and I'm sort of at a loss as to how to get the Gramma to eat. Tips appreciated!

I have the seachem test kit, it was on amazon prime and I'm using Cupramine - also by Seachem. I'm going to go fallow in the display for a few months. Obviously more time is better, I've read as short as 6 weeks and as long as 4 months. Tips on time? I saw 3 months mentioned above.

Yep, waiting it out is no fun....but, much more fun than the alternative. I qt'd my fish and ran the tank fallow for 3 months. It's been a year or so....everyone is good. I'd just take it easy with the rg. You don't want to put too much food in the qt.

This really stinks - the tank is about 6 weeks old so having to go fallow for months when it hasn't been set up for months is a real bummer for my family. But it is the way it is...

This just happened to me about a month ago! I feel so bad for my fish, but now I know better and i will NEVER put a fish in my tank with out putting it in the quarantine take first. I had to set up a QT tank, take out all my fish and treat them with copper. I have a 5.5 gallon qt tank and I do a 50% water change every 4 days or so. Its been about a month and my 3 clowns are doing great and seem to be ich free! From what I understand about Ich is that they will lay eggs that could land all in your tank (sand bed ect…) your tank needs to be fish free long enough for the eggs to hatch and the ich to starve to death.I too have heard all different lengths of time this process can take but I am going with 12 weeks. :mellow: I figure better safe than sorry. I would hate to put my fish back in too soon and start the process all over again. Best of luck to you.

Archived