Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Low pH and Calcium: Suggestions?

CJreefers

Evening Reefers,

I wanted to seek the advice from fellow reefers on some of the concerns I am having with my nano reef, concerning water parameters. I have a Biocube 14, established since May 31, 2014 (more detail on Profile).

As of my last parameter check on September 2, 2014, here were my spec readings:

• pH - 7.8 (I feel this is low; was consistently 8.2 prior to August 19)
  • Ammonia - 0 ppm (consistent)
  • Nitrite - 0 ppm (consistent)
  • Nitrate - 0 ppm (consistent)
  • Calcium - 360 ppm (too low; before August 10, was around 400, but I believe since adding more coral they're using it up)
  • Alkalinity - 125.3 ppm (also think this is to low)
  • Salinity - 1.026 sg

As of August 27, I switched to Reef Crystals from Instant Ocean (hoping this helps with the Calcium). Also, I've been using B-Ionic 2-Part Calcium Buffer, but honestly not sure if I'm doing it right. For a while I was adding 2.5 mL each day, but didn't really notice a difference. Yesterday I put around 9mL in.

Regarding B-Ionic (with a Biocube 14), how much should I be adding and how often?

All in all, I'm concerned with my pH, my Calcium, and my Alkalinity. I test using API Test Kits. How can I restore my pH naturally? Just FYI, with the heat, I've been running the AC in the room during the day and around 9:00 PM I turn that off and keep a fan in the window to maintain temperature. Additionally, it is at this time that I turn on the SteveLED overheads. I heard air conditions can impact the pH.

Also, lately I've noticed this brown hair like algae that is plaguing the sand and also getting on the glass, as well as some of the corals. For the most part, it is just clumpy like in the sand, but there are some rather long pieces on the rock and stretched about on some of the corals. Any idea what this is and how I can defeat it? I'll have to post some pictures later.

Thanks for any advice!

7.8 pH is acceptable, I would not buffer at 7.8. If you want it a bit higher, open a window to let more fresh oxygen in and let CO2 out of your house. Increase aeration in the tank by pointing a powerhead at the surface, running an airline from the skimmer to outside, ect.

8 Alk is near NSW levels. It's fine imo. Many people run their tanks btw 7-8.

Ca is low but not dangerously low.

"1 ml per gallon of aquarium water will raise calcium concentration by 16ppm." <--- 2.5ml isn't going to do squat for your calcium levels.

You will need to make an estimated guess of how much water is in your system since rock/sand displace it and do some math. Do the dose over 2-3 days so you don't raise it too quickly.

Once you have the Ca level where you want it then you need to measure for a week or so to figure out the consumption rate and dose that much each day or week depending how much it is.

Would need a picture for the algae. Perhaps is it dino?

7.8 pH is acceptable, I would not buffer at 7.8. If you want it a bit higher, open a window to let more fresh oxygen in and let CO2 out of your house. Increase aeration in the tank by pointing a powerhead at the surface, running an airline from the skimmer to outside, ect.

"1 ml per gallon of aquarium water will raise calcium concentration by 16ppm." <--- 2.5ml isn't going to do squat for your calcium levels.

You will need to make an estimated guess of how much water is in your system since rock/sand displace it and do some math. Do the dose over 2-3 days so you don't raise it too quickly.

Once you have the Ca level where you want it then you need to measure for a week or so to figure out the consumption rate and dose that much each day or week depending how much it is.

Hey Tamberav, thanks for the information. Here are a few pictures which will hopefully help you be able to identify the algae. As I mentioned, I did notice over the last week or so my pH, which used to be steady at 8.2, has dropped. I'm assuming this might be due to the warmer temperatures in my area which has led me to shut the windows and keep the air on our room where the tank is located.

IMG_0044_zpsce00ec9b.jpg

IMG_0045_zps10aeac3e.jpg

IMG_0043_zpsc8c80f8b.jpg

From the last picture, it looks like dinoflagellates.

While 7.8 pH isn't harmful for the corals, It is possible that the higher concentration of CO2 is making it easier for unwanted organisms to prosper that were already present in small quantities. There are many types of dino and some types have a harder time surviving at higher pH. If it wasn't present before the pH drop then raising it might help.

Thanks for the advice. You were dead on with the dosing...since upping to 10mL for each component (Calcium and Alk), my levels seems to have returned to normal and the algae is surprisingly cleared up now. Thanks for advice.

Lesson Learned: For me, it appears the ALK (which was lower than desired) seems to be directly associated to the the decrease in my pH. By dosing correctly, my pH returned to stable levels and the algae soon after cleared up.

Archived