Innovative Marine Aquariums

Claire's 12g - Boring but happy

ClaireRenee

My hammer is pretty aggressive he nearly snapped my eyphilya in half cause he grabbed it and pulled it in

Maybe just placement of corals

Oh and my clown fish have been stung a lot but that's becsue there hosting

But lovely corals

Getting there Claire soon be adding

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply
another vote for shrooms. i really love my ric especailly. and i'venever had any problems with them, honestly.they are super hardy and easy. my rock flower nems are doing great as well!
I really like ric's too. It is so hard to decide cause I want one of everything. My ammonia levels are down to zero even with small daily dosing. Noe just waiting for nitrite to go down. It shouldn't be long now till I get a CUC.

My hammer is pretty aggressive he nearly snapped my eyphilya in half cause he grabbed it and pulled it inMaybe just placement of corals Oh and my clown fish have been stung a lot but that's becsue there hosting But lovely corals Getting there Claire soon be adding
Naughty hammer! Good to know, I will keep that in mind when placing one. Thanks

So I have tons of diatoms and now some green hair algae. My nitrites are still elevated. I don't want to have algae issues forever. Do I get a CUC before nitrites go down and rely on frequent water changes or do I wait?

Any advice? Should I get snails this weekend even though I have nitrites? I can do huge water changes if I need to. However I would like to go through the whole cycle. I just don't want to have lasting algae problems. Any advice is much appreciated!

i don't know claire. i've never tried waiting through a proper

cycle but used live rocks and sand instead. i'm sure

the more experienced will chime in. i will say, i think

maybe 6 weeks in with my pico, i had a diatom bloom

and it went away in about a week with the help of cerith

snails. but i started getting hair and bubble algae in that

small tank, and it never went away. a real pain.

though in retrospect, it wasn't the ideal tank for saltwater.

Any advice? Should I get snails this weekend even though I have nitrites? I can do huge water changes if I need to. However I would like to go through the whole cycle. I just don't want to have lasting algae problems. Any advice is much appreciated!

Ammonia and nitrites are very toxic, so best to wait until you are sure that the cycle is complete before adding organisms. A small amount of nitrate is not an issue since it is not toxic in small quantities (best to keep nitrates below 5ppm or lower if you can, but some healthy tanks run consistent 10ppm or even more).

A CUC can keep nuisance algae growth in check, but over the long term keeping consistent, low nutrient values in the tank will be most helpful in controlling and preventing many problems.

I think if the levels are near ok I had 0.2 nitrite and 10ppm of nitrate with. Clean up crew

Try adding bacteria balls like I did by pure marine they boost natural algae of which nitrite needs to be. Converted I started with 10balls now I put 4 a week in

i don't know claire. i've never tried waiting through a proper

cycle but used live rocks and sand instead. i'm sure

the more experienced will chime in. i will say, i think

maybe 6 weeks in with my pico, i had a diatom bloom

and it went away in about a week with the help of cerith

snails. but i started getting hair and bubble algae in that

small tank, and it never went away. a real pain.

though in retrospect, it wasn't the ideal tank for saltwater.

Ammonia and nitrites are very toxic, so best to wait until you are sure that the cycle is complete before adding organisms. A small amount of nitrate is not an issue since it is not toxic in small quantities (best to keep nitrates below 5ppm or lower if you can, but some healthy tanks run consistent 10ppm or even more).

A CUC can keep nuisance algae growth in check, but over the long term keeping consistent, low nutrient values in the tank will be most helpful in controlling and preventing many problems.

I think if the levels are near ok I had 0.2 nitrite and 10ppm of nitrate with. Clean up crew

Try adding bacteria balls like I did by pure marine they boost natural algae of which nitrite needs to be. Converted I started with 10balls now I put 4 a week in

Thank you all!!!!

I have lights out, and will continue to patiently wait. Usually I am super patient, but got worried about the algae.

Yeah, don't worry about these early algae stages. It happens and it goes away. Your tank will go through algae stages. And probably cyano too! It's all part of getting that balance. You'll figure out what you need to do. Just don't slack on water changes and be careful of adding too many nutrients or overstocking your tank. Really, it's trial and error :).

Just wait for your cycle to complete and then add the CUC.

Yeah, don't worry about these early algae stages. It happens and it goes away. Your tank will go through algae stages. And probably cyano too! It's all part of getting that balance. You'll figure out what you need to do. Just don't slack on water changes and be careful of adding too many nutrients or overstocking your tank. Really, it's trial and error :).Just wait for your cycle to complete and then add the CUC.

Thanks gena, the tank is looking pretty bad right now. My ammonia reads 0 now, but no sign of nitrites coming down. It is probably the "watched pot" problem. I need to stop testing and just let it do it's thing... I am getting to the point where I just want pretty things in the tank already!!!!

No need to worry though, I will wait!

Thanks gena, the tank is looking pretty bad right now. My ammonia reads 0 now, but no sign of nitrites coming down. It is probably the "watched pot" problem. I need to stop testing and just let it do it's thing... I am getting to the point where I just want pretty things in the tank already!!!! No need to worry though, I will wait!

It's "the uglies" and it's the worst. It's happened for me with every tank I've started :).
  • 2 weeks later...

Hows the tank looking Claire?

It will pass always does, can be quite a shock and deterrent though

How the tank coming along? Diatoms passing yet?

I just got home from a week and a half in Belize. During that time the tank has been sitting with daily dosing of microbacter7 and a few drops of ammonia to keep the bacteria fed. Over the weekend I am going to do 1 or 2 very large water changes to remove nitrates. Then on Monday or Tuesday I will add a CUC. I will keep you all posted!

did you go to ambergris caye, claire?

we went and i loved it there!

can't wait for the next tank update!

We did! It was our second time and we had even more fun this time. It is such a great place especially during slow season,

We did! It was our second time and we had even more fun this time. It is such a great place especially during slow season,

we went ages ago, like in 1999. it's good to know

that it's still worth returning to. yay!

we went ages ago, like in 1999. it's good to know

that it's still worth returning to. yay!

It was wonderful! I think that is the friendliest place on earth. It is definitely worth a trip.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I thought I would have a CUC in my tank by now, but with my trip to Belize, I was way behind on work. I have gotten caught up and today I did a huge water change to get rid of the nitrates from my ammonia dosing. So, now I am finally ready :happydance:

The CUC will be going in on thursday!

Archived