ReefCleaners.org

Claire's 12g - Boring but happy

ClaireRenee

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably a zoa... Seems like they are pretty hardy and I am sure to go wrong in many ways. I'm open for suggestions though.

How about some 'Shrooms! Watch out for the Pacific Discosoma species, though, since they can spread like wildfire and I'd recommend that they be put on their own rock/island. Discosoma calgreni is from the Caribbean (one of the best and least known) along with Rhodactis are great since they spread more slowly and can go anywhere light and flow are moderate. Ricordia, really nice, like a bit more light and a tank that's stable.

Looks like a great book... I will keep my eye out for an affordable copy, but got to save some $$$ for critters to go into my little box of water.. Haha... It is a little boring at this point.

you can get all that info online...so definitely spend the money on critters :).

Houston, we have lift-off! There are diatoms in my tank and little nitrogen bubbles in the sand. I have never been so excited by dirty looking sand.

15117021487_c71afedf0a_z.jpg

What a pretty blank slate (diatoms and all) :happy:.
How about some 'Shrooms! Watch out for the Pacific Discosoma species, though, since they can spread like wildfire and I'd recommend that they be put on their own rock/island. Discosoma calgreni is from the Caribbean (one of the best and least known) along with Rhodactis are great since they spread more slowly and can go anywhere light and flow are moderate. Ricordia, really nice, like a bit more light and a tank that's stable.
Thanks, I will certainly look at shrooms too!

you can get all that info online...so definitely spend the money on critters :). What a pretty blank slate (diatoms and all) :happy:.
Thanks so much! I am so excited to get underway.

My first were Palythoa and they have been through some stuff and are doing great!
I checked out your build. It is really looking great!

I checked out your build. It is really looking great!

Thanks! This one looks like it has the makings of something epic! Your scape is awesome and will be so clean and slick when you start adding some colors.

Thanks! This one looks like it has the makings of something epic! Your scape is awesome and will be so clean and slick when you start adding some colors.

Thank you so much! I hope you are right. The more of these crazy gorgeous tanks I see on N-R the more I feel like I am going to be a huge disappointment. I hope not though, I sure have a great place for advise and support.

Thank you so much! I hope you are right. The more of these crazy gorgeous tanks I see on N-R the more I feel like I am going to be a huge disappointment. I hope not though, I sure have a great place for advise and support.

That's because you are used to constantly looking at yours. It is different and unique to everyone else.

That's because you are used to constantly looking at yours. It is different and unique to everyone else.

I hope that is right. Thanks

15178872456_ed5e42d74e_c.jpg

Tank

12 Gal Fluval Edge

Marine-Pac 3 in column

Awesome arrangement here! And welcome to the hobby, err lifestyle! I too am in the Bay Area and frequenter of good ol Neptunes.

How are you liking the marine pac 3? Fluval impresses me more every day with the new systems they have coming out and their research and expedition work as well. Definitely a cool company.

Awesome arrangement here! And welcome to the hobby, err lifestyle! I too am in the Bay Area and frequenter of good ol Neptunes. How are you liking the marine pac 3? Fluval impresses me more every day with the new systems they have coming out and their research and expedition work as well. Definitely a cool company.

Holy crap... Your builds are awesome!!!! Yep, I stalked your thread.

Thanks for your kind words. Have you been to neptunes new store? That had to be a seriously difficult move.

I love the look of the fluval edge, bit the small opening is a pretty big pain in the ass. Putting the scape together was like building a ship in a bottle. It is also a pain to have to drain water any time you need/want to put your hand in the tank. As for the marine pac 3, I love it! It makes for such a clean looking tank. Also, the owner, Neil, is supper helpful. You can't beat the customer service.

Hello! I just saw your build and it looks great! I love the arch and how your tanks look in the room. I can't wait to see what you do!

Thank you. If I can pull something off that is even a tenth as cool as your tank I will be a happy girl.

Hello All,

I am about to embark on my first saltwater aquarium. I have had many freshwater tanks and have always wanted to try saltwater, but have always been talked out of it by people saying that it is too difficult and too expensive.

My journey to this point began when I couldn't pass up a killer deal on a 12 gallon Fluval Edge. I didnt have a fish tank at the time and was really missing one. That tank has been up and running as a planted freshwater with a school of neons and one, scratch that, a billion ramshorn snails. I agree that this tank has many downsides, but to me they are worth it for the clean look. One day, i stumbled upon Saltwater Conversions and saw the elegant and clean conversion pack. Since my freshwater is located to the side of our fireplace and I thought it would be really cool to put a SW reef tank on the other side.

There began my journey! I have spent approximately 6 months gathering equipment, researching, planning, reading and when I have to, working. I have really enjoyed and appreciated all of the knowledge and inspiration I have gotten from Nano Reef so I thought I would document my own NOOB attempt.

So, water went in on October 8. I have my one year anniversary trip in October, so I won't be adding much, if anything until mid October. If algae or diatoms become a problem I might deploy a small CUC before the trip. In the mean time I will be continuing my research (aka procrastinating from work), and stalking all of the beautiful and inspirational tanks on Nano-Reef. Thank you all! All comments and suggestions are welcome.

Here are some photos of latest

15178872456_ed5e42d74e_c.jpg

Well looky here. That freshwater tank is serene. Heck, that whole living area looks so peaceful. When it gets too noisy over here, imma come hang out at your place.

Isn't one of the signs of an addiction is that it interferes with your everyday activities and obligations? I just boiled pasta for 30 minutes while epoxying rocks. Al dente.... Nope!

Uhh.. I can recall at least 2 burnt pork chops and 1 chicken breast. I now set the timer when I put stuff on the bbq grill and wander over to the tank..

You nailed it on the clean and sleek look. I love it. I'll have my eye on this one for sure.

Well looky here. That freshwater tank is serene. Heck, that whole living area looks so peaceful. When it gets too noisy over here, imma come hang out at your place.

*** Sure, any time... Just bring some of that fishtank knowledge.

Uhh.. I can recall at least 2 burnt pork chops and 1 chicken breast. I now set the timer when I put stuff on the bbq grill and wander over to the tank..

*** Luckily the hubby wasn't home to witness that epic fail. I had to go back to the store and get more pasta. I set a timer and the pasta salad made it safely to the BBQ. Lesson learned, haha!

You nailed it on the clean and sleek look. I love it. I'll have my eye on this one for sure.

*** thanks! Well good to know I got something right. It is funny, now that I have the marine pac 3 in the SW tank with the heater in the back and no inlet tube visible, I look at my fresh water tank and think it looks full of equipment. I might need to find a super small heater for it.

Great start Claire! Looking like this will turn into a great nano-reef. Cool to see someone utilizing the Marine Pak3. I remember seeing it when it was first introduced and I believe this is the first tank I have actually seen someone using it on. Welcome to N-R and the hobby, tagging along.

Oh, and btw, I say start with a softie and a forgiving LPS. I started with a torch coral and red death paly frag.

Great start Claire! Looking like this will turn into a great nano-reef. Cool to see someone utilizing the Marine Pak3. I remember seeing it when it was first introduced and I believe this is the first tank I have actually seen someone using it on. Welcome to N-R and the hobby, tagging along.

Oh, and btw, I say start with a softie and a forgiving LPS. I started with a torch coral and red death paly frag.

47 units in the wild now, I was expecting more of them to show up on forums to be honest!

Thanks, I have really enjoyed checking out your great builds.

I really like the hammer corals, are they less forgiving than the torch? Thanks for the advice!

47 units in the wild now, I was expecting more of them to show up on forums to be honest!

47... That is great! It is too bad they are keeping their tanks to themselves. I will try to be a good ambassador for the reclusive MP3 community.

Thanks, I have really enjoyed checking out your great builds.

I really like the hammer corals, are they less forgiving than the torch? Thanks for the advice!

I was just gonna say start with a hammer coral. Leathers are good starters also. Cauastrea will also take a beating and keep on ticking.

Thanks, I have really enjoyed checking out your great builds. I really like the hammer corals, are they less forgiving than the torch? Thanks for the advice!

Cool, glad you enjoyed reading through my threads. I would say torches and hammers are both comparable. If you like hammers more, then go for it!

Thanks, I have really enjoyed checking out your great builds. I really like the hammer corals, are they less forgiving than the torch? Thanks for the advice!

IMO, torch are the bullies. My hammers and froggies get along fine but I had two torches that went on a warpath.

another vote for shrooms.

i really love my ric especailly. and i've

never had any problems with them, honestly.

they are super hardy and easy.

my rock flower nems are doing great as well!

Archived