Coral Vue Hydros

Claire's 12g - Boring but happy

ClaireRenee

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So Amazon is freaking me out a bit. I ordered my TDS meter and a book on corals last night. I came home from work today and there they are on my doorstep. Maybe they are testing the drones at my house.

So I tested the RODI from LFS, also it is in my container and has been opened multiple times. The TDS is 1ppm. So it looks like I can go with their water, I just have to make my own saltwater.

My next question is... Should I cycle the tank with what is in there now and once cycled just do 20% WCs until parameters are good or should I take out LFS saltwater and start fresh?

Thanks for following. I can't wait to get some of your beautiful corals into my tank.

Which book did you get? I can never have too many reef books :).

That's great news about the LFS water. But do test it every time you fill up. I wouldn't hesitate to bring the TDS meter in with me and test before I fill my bucket :). Eventually you may want to get your own RO/DI system...especially after you upgrade to an even bigger tank ;). We all do that at some point LOL.

I don't have a book

I have my mate who works in the fish shop.

Facebook messenger I bet he is gonna unfriend me soon lol

Well that should save you some money.... These reef books are crazy expensive!

Just buy your mate dinner every once in a while to keep him/her happy.

Him

I keep offering my mechanic services but his car is new lol

He's cool at the moment anyway I can help him I will

How much are the books

?

Legendary Corals

Well that should save you some money.... These reef books are crazy expensive! Just buy your mate dinner every once in a while to keep him/her happy.

I love reefing books! I used to collect a lot of books about reef fish. I do recommend checking this thread out for some fish choices since it's focused on nano tanks and was composed up by hobbyist.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/74703-lgreens-ultimate-guide-to-nano-fish/

I love reefing books! I used to collect a lot of books about reef fish. I do recommend checking this thread out for some fish choices since it's focused on nano tanks and was composed up by hobbyist. http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/74703-lgreens-ultimate-guide-to-nano-fish/'>http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/74703-lgreens-ultimate-guide-to-nano-fish/
Thanks! I have read almost all of Irene's articles. They are so well done. She should compile them all and publish, I would buy it.I also really like collecting books on my hobbies and professions. I am sure I will have a healthy number of reef books before long. Did you have a favorite all around resource book that you found you consulted often?

Him I keep offering my mechanic services but his car is new lol He's cool at the moment anyway I can help him I will How much are the books ?
The books I have been looking at run from $35 all the way up to $175+. Many of them seem like college textbook pricing.

Thanks! I have read almost all of Irene's articles. They are so well done. She should compile them all and publish, I would buy it. I also really like collecting books on my hobbies and professions. I am sure I will have a healthy number of reef books before long. Did you have a favorite all around resource book that you found you consulted often?

The books I have been looking at run from $35 all the way up to $175+. Many of them seem like college textbook pricing.

I managed to pick up the Clownfish book by Joyce (can't remember the last name) before it was discontinued and the price went through the roof. Last I looked it was around the 100-200$ price range :o. I have a nice collection of reefing books :).
Love the rockscape in your tank. Will definitely follow your progress (we are basically at the same stage)!
I just checked out your thread. Looking good! Good to know there is a fellow noob out there just starting up.

175 dollars in pounds is a lot for some paper Google is much cheaper
I agree, but I am a sucker for books with great photos and lots of info.

I managed to pick up the Clownfish book by Joyce (can't remember the last name) before it was discontinued and the price went through the roof. Last I looked it was around the 100-200$ price range :o. I have a nice collection of reefing books :).
Looks like a great book... I will keep my eye out for an affordable copy, but got to save some $$$ for critters to go into my little box of water.. Haha... It is a little boring at this point.
Your tank is looking great Claire,

Any stocking plans yet?

Beautiful composition of rocks, animals that you think you enter?

I follow you !!

Thank you both.

I am thinking of one or a pair of clown fish, perhaps a goby. A small CUC and will likely start with some noob friendly corals like zoas and shrooms.

I'd be open to any suggestions.., I have been doing a lot of research and there are so many pros and cons to everything. I really want to get it right.

Nice tank(s) and room. The juxtaposition of salt and planted is going to be incredible when this tank grows!

Thanks so much! I love that you saved your tank and found a new passion at the same time. I'm sure your little hermit agrees.

I got "corals" by borneman

Although not the most recent, Borenman's book does a real good job of covering the different types of corals and their ailments.

The other one, 'Natural Reef Aquariums' by Tullock, is also excellent in defining different biotopes and such. Good complimentary combination.

Of all the books, 'The Reef Aquarium' 3 volume series by Sprung/Delbeek is the most comprehensive and highly recommended.

Nice stand and decor. The two tanks will compliment each other nicely once the reef tank is grown out :)

Although not the most recent, Borenman's book does a real good job of covering the different types of corals and their ailments.

The other one, 'Natural Reef Aquariums' by Tullock, is also excellent in defining different biotopes and such. Good complimentary combination.

Of all the books, 'The Reef Aquarium' 3 volume series by Sprung/Delbeek is the most comprehensive and highly recommended.

Nice stand and decor. The two tanks will compliment each other nicely once the reef tank is grown out :)

I appreciate the advise. I can't wait to get something in the tank. I have had so much fun putting this all together and can't believe that the fun stuff is still to come.

what do you plan to add for your first coral??

Probably a zoa... Seems like they are pretty hardy and I am sure to go wrong in many ways. I'm open for suggestions though.

Archived