ReefCleaners.org

New here....

Kajuta

Greetings. Thought I would introduce myself to the community and say hello!

Yesterday I decided..."Im going to setup a nano reef tank this comming Christmass." and well...here I am.

I am a returning addict thats been into reefkeeping since `07. It had started with a 125g mixed reef tank and ended up with a 235g octogon reverse sump system w/homemade dimmable LED's powered by 98 cree XRE's.

Due to school and in preparation for a new career transition I had to put my addiction on hold. Well its been 3 years since I tore down all my tanks and gave away my livestock, but this winter I will be setting up a small coral tank to get back into the hobby.

Like all things Reefkeeping, nothing good ever happens fast and therefore I wont be rushing into things. I like to spend months preparing for anything I do in this hobby, and my comeback will be no different. Right now I plan to go with a rimless starfire nano tank. Something around the 20-30g range.

Coral only....maybe 1 or two small small decorative fish. I would want something small and minimal waste yet would make a huge impact visually or not at all...possibly a pair of sea horses?. I may choose to add a couple choice LPS's with some mushrooms. The main population however, will be as many zoos as I can carpet the rocks with. Everything else is a secondary consideration and therefore Seahorses and an LPS MAY be out of the question.

The overall feel I want is to make is a small coral garden made with a rainbow of Zoo's. Everything else will be secondary to the zooanthid population. I used to run a nano tank in the past, but my direction was totaly different. I had several fish and corals were of secondary consideration. This time I want color on the rocks to be my focus.

================================================================================

Since technology changes so much, I wanted to get early on reading to see whats been new in the last few years. Money isnt going to be something that will get in my way so I want to go with what works best (not neccasarily what is most expensive...but I can get away with that if it comes down too it).

I loved the vibrancy of LED's and hope that the technology has finally come around with the community, are there any companies now that make good lighting systems for small nano sized systems?

What about filtration, has there been any major impacts to the hobby since 2011?

Also, how about plasma lighting? Is it making its way into the hobby yet...when I left that was the possibly going to be the next 'thing'.

Thanks and hope to be a contributer to this community for years to come!

Kajuta

Greetings. Thought I would introduce myself to the community and say hello!

Hello, and welcome to N-R.com.

I loved the vibrancy of LED's and hope that the technology has finally come around with the community, are there any companies now that make good lighting systems for small nano sized systems?

There a a good number to choose from.

What about filtration, has there been any major impacts to the hobby since 2011?

I don't know about major impacts since 2011.

Also, how about plasma lighting? Is it making its way into the hobby yet...when I left that was the possibly going to be the next 'thing'.

Nah, it's basically all about LED right now.

Welcome back into the hobby.

Check out nano box for lighting. There isn't a lot new with filters but with skimmers there has been a lot of nice ones out there recently.

Builder Anthony

Kessil lights are good but my favorite bulb to relax with is a atinic blue flouresent.its only 18 watts but a new bulb is such a deep cool relaxing bulb I suggest everyone get one.I sometimes run.this bulb with the kessil and my corals will sometimes even face it instead of the other.I have five but I only run one so I don't run them all into the ground.its made by coralife and to me its the best bulb on the market but you have to have tons of them to actually run a tank in a very shallow system.I'd pick up one and a ballast encased in plastic so u can just pop in in.its such a relaxing blue if all the other lights are off.

Archived