Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Arcadia Stretch Marine LED

Nstocks

Hello,

Im working out the cost of my first saltwater setup and one of the most expensive pieces of equipment is the lighting. I really want to use LED's to save energy costs as well as the appeal for their longevity and minimal heat producion.

I've found this which seems very inexpensive: http://www.warehouse-aquatics.co.uk/marine/marine-lighting/led-lighting/led-light-units/arcadia-classica-stretch-marine-led-light-unit-26w-600-800mm.html

I'm a believer in "you get what you pay for", but overall is this light appropriate and adequate for a mixed reef (I know SPS like a lot of light)

My tank is 600mm x 600mm x x 350mm high which means the lights don't need to reach any sort of depth. It's optiwhite glass, bracelets, rimless so a minimal light is needed.

http://www.warehouse-aquatics.co.uk/marine/marine-lighting/led-lighting/led-light-units/arcadia-classica-stretch-marine-led-light-unit-26w-600-800mm.html

Nice housing.

Little too expensive to strip out the junk LEDs and turn it into a reef light. But...it would be cool to run a bunch of Philips K 8' down the length of it, put some Luxeon Z UV quads.

Powder coated black they might be a good refugium light.

It would be nice to find the housing maker, and just get those.

Oh, never mind, my scale was off, just watched the video.Real reef lights, or those K multis would probabky melt that thing.Junk, save your money.

Nstocks,

For a reef system, lighting is the single most important part of the system.

1) Its how your animals eat. Pretty important.

2) The light has to look good to your eyes.

3) The coloration of your animals depends on your light, the animals must look good under your light.

4) Safety, the light must be safe around salt water. (or not spontaneously catch fire like some Chinese junk is known to do)

5) The fixture must be aesthetically pleasing to your eye, and your mate's eye.

Its fair to say that one should budget about as much for the lighting as the cost of the rest of the system. If you care about those 5 reasons.

If those 5 things dont matter to you, cheap out and buy any junk you like.

Hay farkwar,

Thanks for your help on this and the other post :)

I know how important the lights are and if this was a post about a powerhead or other equipment, one might say that other item would be the most important - there's no winning!

Anyhow, when I was looking at the lights, I saw most LED's starting at way over £200. I had just priced up 90% of the equipment I need (minus tank, sump and cabinet) which came out to over £600. Add some lights that makes it £800. (without a MP10 powerhead either!) My mission was to have a wet saltwater aquarium for under £700 but I don't think that's possible anymore.

Is there anything less than £200 that isn't hideous, bulky and cheap looking? Fluval have a range that are £190 but I've not looked into them yet: https://uk.hagen.com/New-Fluval-Sea-LED-Lighting . IF these are a good option, I may be able to get them even cheaper on a classified ad - second hand.

That tank is essentially 24x24x14.

Maybe someone else can offer a more acceptable opinion.

You can easily have a saltwater aquarium for under £700, with the type of lighting you link to. You're just not going to be able to keep acropora or clams.

NPS systems intrique and fascinate me, maybe you can do one of those. Zoas, palys, and acans are medium light animals. Lots of challices dont like bright light.

Archived