Pod Your Reef

Hawaiian EcoPico

HannahMontana808

HannahMontana808

Hello,

This is my Ecoxotic Ecopico that has been set up for nearly a year. I am located in Hawaii and they are super strict on what is and what isn't allowed. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Equipment

• 3 Ecoxotic Ecopico LED light strips (cool white/royal blue)
  • 2 Ecoxotic Ecopico LED light strips (royal blue)
  • Ecoxotic Simple One Touch Controller
  • Ecotech MP10
  • Eheim Skim 350 surface skimmer
  • ChemiPure Elite (hidden behind the rocks)

Livestock

• 8lbs of live rock
  • Cheato (tucked behind a rock)
  • 2 True Perculas
  • 1 Hawaiian Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
  • 2 Hawaiian Feather Duster
  • 1 Hawaiian Sand Anemone (H. Malu)
  • 1 Hawaiian Harlequin Shrimp (came home and was found dead)
  • Pom Pom Crab (I haven't seen him in a long time)
  • 2 small blue linkia stars (food for the recently deceased harlequin)
  • Pink octocoral
  • Purple octocoral
  • Various zoas
  • 3 Trochus snails
  • 5 Micro Zebra Hermits

FTS September 2014

photo2_zps4db4f571.jpg

FTS August 2013

photo1_zps97bd0953.jpg

photo2_zps250398dc.jpg

Some Zoa Shots (iPhone Camera)

photo5_zps146469f5.jpg

photo6_zps08f87749.jpg

photo7_zps8174c412.jpg

Clown started hosting my Nem last night.

http://vid1130.photobucket.com/albums/m524/brandolando4/IMG_4331_zps4d7fcbac.mp4

HannahMontana808

I'm not sure the names of them, they are all locally caught in Hawaii, my camera doesn't do them justice. I work at a LFS so I buy all this stuff super cheap. Also my lighting isn't very good I will be purchasing a nano box mini in the next couple days. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I should customize the nano box? (i.e. color and stuff)

HannahMontana808

This is what I'm thinking of doing with my Nano Box Mini Tide

Channel 1:

• 4x Royal Blue
  • 1x Blue
  • 1x Cyan

Channel 2:

• 2x 4500K Neutral White
  • 1x 3000K Warm White
  • 2x Lime
  • 2x 420nm Violet

Channel 3:

• Moonlight (Royal Blue I think?)

HannahMontana808

Yah I was super excited. My other clown (the male) started hosting my zoas, he sleeps in between the heads when they are closed at night.

Next time my work gets in a pair of hawaiian harlequins I'm gonna pick them up, do you think my cleaner shrimp will kill them? Still haven't figured out how the other one died.

Gonna start dosing prodibio nano and doing more frequent water changes, my Nitrates where at 20, after the water change they were back down to 10. Gotta get them to zero, I'm hoping the cheato combined with the prodibio will help. Also my pH was a little low 7.8-8.0, was gonna start dosing Aquavitro OH to raise it. Any other ideas to fix the pH?

Just fed the nem its first half of a silverside, its crazy how fast they eat it.

Thanks guys,

Just ordered the Nano box, cannot believe i just spent 350 on a light. I hope its worth it.

It's very worth it. Just bought one myself and its amazing. You won't regret it.

HannahMontana808

Any ideas on what to feed these two linkias while I war for my new harlequin shrimp? I wanna keep them alive so my shrimps can eat them!!

Scummy algae, don't scrape glass for a little while. If that isn't enough give them some dried algae if you can find (be careful, most stuff in nori section of grocery stores here is roasted not dried). Can go to tide pools and grab some lettuce algae for them.

HannahMontana808

Scummy algae, don't scrape glass for a little while. If that isn't enough give them some dried algae if you can find (be careful, most stuff in nori section of grocery stores here is roasted not dried). Can go to tide pools and grab some lettuce algae for them.

Thanks thats awesome!! I work at Coral Fish Hawaii, can I buy the dried algae meant for tangs? If so do I just put it near them?

Its great to meet another local reefer. Got any frags?

• 3 weeks later...
HannahMontana808

We went diving the other day to collect for the store, and I caught this pair of Harlequin Shrimps!! Started dosing prodibio and the water is looking great and chemistry is perfect.

http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/brandolando4/media/photo3_zps53eec43d.jpg.html'>photo3_zps53eec43d.jpg

http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/brandolando4/media/photo2_zps5a124e2b.jpg.html'>photo2_zps5a124e2b.jpg

http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/brandolando4/media/photo1_zps7c1c8aa9.jpg.html'>photo1_zps7c1c8aa9.jpg

Love your setup. I have the Ecopico tank as well, but only 3 lights. Probably only doing low light soft corals in mine.

Question though - I'd love to get two perculas in that tank, but everything I've read says that even one perc is too big for a 5 gallon. Have yours been okay? Do you have a second tank or am I braindead this morning.

HannahMontana808

Cute shrimps!

I'd love to have a pair but feeding them starfish sounds... not fun or easy...

Yah, luckily I live in Hawaii and work at a LFS so I can get starfish easily and cheap.

Love your setup. I have the Ecopico tank as well, but only 3 lights. Probably only doing low light soft corals in mine.

Question though - I'd love to get two perculas in that tank, but everything I've read says that even one perc is too big for a 5 gallon. Have yours been okay? Do you have a second tank or am I braindead this morning.

Yah my clowns don't swim around all that much, they hang out by the anemone until they see me, then they rush the glass. However I did have slightly high nitrates (20ppm). However once I started dosing prodibio the chemistry is now perfect and my corals look great. Highly recommend it and its relatively cheap for 3 months supply.

My low light corals are stretching for light with all 5 strips. Those light strips kinda suck, however my nano box will be be here next week, so everything should be good then.

Yah my clowns don't swim around all that much, they hang out by the anemone until they see me, then they rush the glass. However I did have slightly high nitrates (20ppm). However once I started dosing prodibio the chemistry is now perfect and my corals look great. Highly recommend it and its relatively cheap for 3 months supply.

My low light corals are stretching for light with all 5 strips. Those light strips kinda suck, however my nano box will be be here next week, so everything should be good then.

Well crap... I have only three strips... Do you think that is enough for zoas/shrooms/etc? I've seen a few Youtube vids and those seem to be fine. But....... if you think five isn't even enough, I may need to rethink the entire light set up :(

HannahMontana808

Well my zoas are the ones reaching for light, however my sand anemone seems to think its enough light. What are you gonna stock your tank with?

Well my zoas are the ones reaching for light, however my sand anemone seems to think its enough light. What are you gonna stock your tank with?

I was thinking lots of zoas, some green polyps, shrooms... Would love frogspawn but guessing that won't work.

• 2 months later...

Archived