Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

mp10 wetside mag failure

Dramad1

So I got home today to find the wetside of my mp10 in the sand bed. Tried to reattach and it kept falling. So I took it out got it nice and clean and it is staying for now. As far as I know there where no power outages but even if there was, I have the batt back up hooked up. No one home all day so no one could have bumped the dry side. Im just wondering why it fell. I do have the rubber gasket thing but this is on my bc29 and the glass is pretty thin. I have never had an issue before with it in the 11 months it has been in the tank. Has anyone experienced this before? Do I need a new wet side?

On a positive note, I noticed all my corals way more fuller and liking the lesser flow. Are those words, fuller and lesser? Lol. So now that it is sticking again, I turned it down a few bumps.

jedimasterben

So it's no longer staying on the tank? Is that when running or stopped? How do the magnets look? Does the propeller spin freely? Does the dry side perform normally when the wet side is not attached?

So it's no longer staying on the tank? Is that when running or stopped? How do the magnets look? Does the propeller spin freely? Does the dry side perform normally when the wet side is not attached?

wet side would not stay on while running. I took it out and gave it a good cleaning and magnets look fine/like new on the wet side. Propeller spins freely and the dry side performs normally when wet side is not attached.

Since re attaching wet side after a good cleaning it has been holding and has not come off. I am wondering how it even came off in the first place. Maybe when I was cleaning the glass with my mag float yesterday, it may have mis aligned the wet side just enough that sometime through out the day on reef crest it was kicked off from the slight mis alignment and dif speeds of propeller. If I happens again I plan to remove the rubber pad in hopes for a stronger grip.

jedimasterben

More than likely it was a snail got lodged in it and it knocked itself off. Had it happen several times with my MP10s, but not with my MP40s now. Pretty sure they just grind up dwarf ceriths without batting an eye :)

After awhile I have noticed the glass on the back of the pump can get kind of slimy/slippery if you don't clean it for a long time. Probably why it would not stick right away. I have one running on 1/2 inch acrylic so it definitely has a powerful magnet. I'm surprised you went 11 months without cleaning it :o

I clean the mp10 about once a month, just had not had it fall off like it did in 11 months. I just scraped the glass last week to remove some coraline algae that was encrusting the glass all around the wetside so maybe that contributed to it falling. Im thinking it was slightly mis aligned and a snail may have jumped into it jamming the propeller and caused it to hop on the glass then fall. It was still good this morning so I think this was just a random occurrence.

Yes, this is the first thing I did to see if the dry side was working correctly. I could barely hear the dry side running when I noticed the wet side in the sand bed. So I powered it of then on again and changed the speeds real quick before turning it off and trying to reattach the two sides. The first couple of times it just wouldnt attract to each other. After taking the wetside out and cleaning it, it attached well. I powered it back on and re adjusted it so I didnt get that vibration on the glass. So far so good.

Yes, this is the first thing I did to see if the dry side was working correctly. I could barely hear the dry side running when I noticed the wet side in the sand bed. So I powered it of then on again and changed the speeds real quick before turning it off and trying to reattach the two sides. The first couple of times it just wouldnt attract to each other. After taking the wetside out and cleaning it, it attached well. I powered it back on and re adjusted it so I didnt get that vibration on the glass. So far so good.

K just checking heh, I noticed air gets trapped between the wetside and glass aswell, I just work it around for a while without the dry side attached to make sure the foam looks completely saturated.

Archived