Pod Your Reef

IM Minimax reactor - too much flow!

Steve973

My Innovative Marine Minimax desktop reactor arrived today. The construction was really nice, and it is quite easy to set up. The problem that I am experiencing is that, even with the flow at the minimum possible rate, it wants to push Rox carbon and GFO up through the top sponge of the reactor. I have the pump turned all of the way down, and the reactor as far up in the water as possible. I turn the flow of the reactor to minimum (or closed) and it still pushes 2 tbsp of carbon to the top. Has anyone else had this issue?

Though the top sponge, as in the particles are too small to be held back? Or through the top sponge, as in the top sponge gets twisted to a side so that the media can go around it? If it's the first, get a finger sponge to put at the top (and possibly the bottom). If it's the latter, put the sponge and media all the way at the top of the reactor so that the sponge has nowhere else to go.

Neither. The media doesn't tumble (gently or otherwise). It flows directly to the top sponge.
Carbon isn't suppose to tumble. That reactor will tumble GFO I have 2 of them.

Is the media not sandwiched between two sponges? Carbon shouldn't be 'flowing' anywhere, or look like it's moving, or it'll grind itself down into fines.

I'm trying it now sandwiched between sponges. The Rox 0.8 is pretty fine, though, and some pieces get past two sponges. Have any of you had carbon and gfo blow into your tank? I did, and I'm not sure what to do about it. It isn't a huge amount but I can see it.

I'm trying it now sandwiched between sponges. The Rox 0.8 is pretty fine, though, and some pieces get past two sponges. Have any of you had carbon and gfo blow into your tank? I did, and I'm not sure what to do about it. It isn't a huge amount but I can see it.
I use to mix the 2 gfo on the bottom carbon on the top. IM switched there sponges a few months ago. Rox will get thru the 2 sponges at the top. I run 2 on the bottom and 3 on the top. There new sponges have bigger holes in them. I don't run carbon only GFO now. A little GFO in the sump isn't going to hurt anything. My carbon use to float to the top then after a few days it would drop.

I was tuning the reactor in the tank like the video suggests when it spewed carbon and gfo. So I have some on the rocks on one side of my tank, and some on the sand there, too.

I was tuning the reactor in the tank like the video suggests when it spewed carbon and gfo. So I have some on the rocks on one side of my tank, and some on the sand there, too.
If you can siphon it out of the display I would but don't freak out if you can't. I wouldn't worry to much unless it was laying on corals.
  • 1 month later...

Trying to rehash this topic since Im on the verge of getting one of these reactors. Have you solved your issue with the carbon? If you're using both GFO and Carbon, you would want a slight turn over daily; that would mean he carbon would too. Since I want to run GFO/Carbon to control any future algae problems and keep my water pristine, paired with my skimmer... it would not bode well if your issues continued.

My only advice would be to cut your on fine floss and add it to the top of the rector to catch any unwanted media that would try to escape.

Feed me some knowledge!

Trying to rehash this topic since Im on the verge of getting one of these reactors. Have you solved your issue with the carbon? If you're using both GFO and Carbon, you would want a slight turn over daily; that would mean he carbon would too. Since I want to run GFO/Carbon to control any future algae problems and keep my water pristine, paired with my skimmer... it would not bode well if your issues continued.

My only advice would be to cut your on fine floss and add it to the top of the rector to catch any unwanted media that would try to escape.

Feed me some knowledge!

I agree. If anyone has some feedback on these reactors that would be awesome. This is my next purchase so I'm hoping you guys got this settled. I would like to run GFO and Carbon. Can you run them simultaneously in the same chamber?

I agree. If anyone has some feedback on these reactors that would be awesome. This is my next purchase so I'm hoping you guys got this settled. I would like to run GFO and Carbon. Can you run them simultaneously in the same chamber?

Yes you can run them together.. "some" swear by the results you get from running them combined.. either in the same chamber or in two separate reactors. As it reads above.. it seems like there is an issue with proper control of these units, that strays away from the control shown in videos of this thing working.

I used seachem carbon and phosgaurd. Phosgaurd on the bottom, carbon on top, no sponge in between and dialed in the flow where there was very very slight movement . Worked really well, but the pump on mine burnt out twice in less than a year, don't think it had anything to do with the media though.

I've had this reactor for about 5-6 months- on my Nuvo 16 buy an extra set of the sponges when you order it. The sponges are different then the ones that came with it- more porous. I also run carbon (Rox) and GFO at the same time but separated. GFO in the bottom and leave about 2-3" of space for it to tumble then 2 more sponges carbon then one more sponge. Keep the carbon sandwiched between the sponges. I tend to only run the GFO for 7-10 days tops- it can quickly strip a small tank volume of water from phosphates and I feed my SPS what I would consider heavy- everyday! When I use them both I use less carbon because I am going to change out in that 7-10 day period. I run carbon through it continuously . I keep it set all the way down in the chamber and you do have to play with turning it to get the right flow. When I use GFO -I place it in the bottom and then pour in RODI to rinse - then place sponges and carbon then again rinse with RODI. I've been very happy with this reactor.

Archived