Pod Your Reef

feeding a clownfish

jamescon85

Hi all,

In my tank i just have a yellow tailed damsel and a clownfish which i added friday (5 days ago) for the first 3 days he just kind of hovered around, today Hes really lively and playing with the damsel. However i have yet to see him eat any food i feed them. I feed them frozrn brine shrimp, the damsel goes crazy and eats any which comes near him, whereas the clown will quite happily let food pass him by. Is this normal or is he Still settling in? Cheers

Call the LFS and ask what they were feeding it. If they were feeding it what you are currently feeding it, then no, I would not call this normal.

My clowns would eat 200 times per day if I fed them 200 times.

Also, is the damsel dominating the clown? They can be very aggressive fish if they are larger than others, and will engage in sort of a "herding" behavior where it keeps your clown isolated to a corner of the tank or something.

Try dropping food in two separate spots in the tank and see if the clown acts differently with the damsel further away.

for the first day or so he stayed in one corner, but today hes all over the place, he seems to be playing in the flow from the filter! i will try giving them a call tomorrow and see what they were feeding him. I will also try dropping in a bit of brine shrimp directly above him and see if he will take it

Nope Hes not interested in it, just lets it go past him. Just realised a5 asiática arent open now until Thursday. The only other food i have i could try is bloodworm or tropical fish flakes. I also have some tropical fish pellets

Mine wouldn't eat for about 7 days after I got them. Now they practically beg to be fed every time I pass by the tank.

That is encouraging. Also, he may have been fed the day he was purchased.

As long as he is swimming strong, and the damsel is not a factor, I wouldn't be very worried about it then. Finding his current food may instantly help though.

Yep thats good to know. Yep chances are he was as i got him late friday, Hes been getting livelier everyday so hopefully its just a matter of time. I will definitely find out what he was previousely fed. Cheers for the help guys

Archived