SaltCritters.com

Need help with my lighting, please help a noob =)

DodgerDave

Hi All

So I acquired a 8 gallon JBJ nano cube from an acquittance about 7-8 months ago. I didn't know much about the equipment for the longest time, but finally figured out what lighting I currently run.

Light - JBJ Flipper FL-208 10.8 LED Light
But I'm confused about the description of the light on the website:
"While the total wattage usage is only 6.3 watts, the total output is measured around 19 watts".
So what is it? 6.3 watt light or a 19 watt light?
I'm assuming that I need a stronger light, but I don't know where to start. I've read from anywhere 1-5 watt per gallon!
Can anyone steer me in the right direction of what light I should get? On a tight budget especially since my wife is pregnant!
Probably not going to get a new light right away because I want to solve the algae problem on my rock first. I assume if I get a stronger light, it will make the algae problem even worse.
Just about all my corals are softies: zoas, rics, bubble, star polyps, acans, candy canes, etc.
Picture of my tank. As you can see, my rock structure only goes up about a little passed halfway up the tank.
post-85399-0-39037700-1409613985_thumb.jpg
Picture of my light
post-85399-0-68039800-1409614022_thumb.jpg
Thanks in advance!

There is no way that a 6.3 watt light is outputting 19 Watts of light.

That would be 301% energy efficiency.

If the critters in the tank that need the light aren't showing signs if needing more light the i would save up for a nanobox tide with storm controller or a nanobox eco.

Blue light is really bad at growing crap algae.

You have a 2:1 ratio of white to blue. Thats the opposite ratio you should be running. You should have twice as many blues as white.

White light has, red, orange, yellow, and green light in it. These spectrum are really good at growing crap algae.

Most reefers now say control algae with only nutrient control. I think doing both is better.

Blue (royal blue) is very good at growing the algae, the zooxanthellae in the tissues of photosynthetic animals like coral and clams, we want to grow. They have evolved that way because they live in 3-30 feet of water, and water blocks much of the other spectrum. They also like the violet(440nm to 400nm) spectrum. True ultra violet light is toxic to most life, it breaks the bonds in DNA and RNA molecules in most cells.

While the total wattage usage is only 6.3 watts, the total output is measured around 19 watts".

You see this a lot on new bulbs. That thus CFL bulb uses 9 watts if energy but is equivalent to a 25 watt incandescent bulb.

Most of the energy in incandescent bulbs was given off as heat. Like 3 or 4 watts of light, and 22-21 watts of heat and infrared light which you cant see.

This may be the same kind of statement

The 6.3 = 19 Watts is comparing the light output of PL lighting tubes with LED lights. I.e.

The leds when consuming 6.3 Watts output the same amount of light as PL tubes consuming 19 Watts

Watts are a measure of the power (electricity) going into the lights, the brightness of the light itself is measured in Lux or Lumens. In the case of Aquaria you also want light of the right wavelength as photosynthesis (which is used by the organisms in some of your corals) happens most efficiently at certain wavelengths.

Useful link

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Aquarium_Lighting.html

Thanks so much for the replies so far!

What do you guys think about a BoostLED Par 30 reef lamp for my 8 gallon.

Price is very reasonable....

Archived