Innovative Marine Aquariums

Corallimorph? New pics 10-11-14

Sk8n Reefer

So this little guys is growing- becoming a noticeable piece in the front of the tank on the side of my live rock. He appeared a few months ago but is growing - still smaller than a dime at this point. It appears to me to be a type of Corallimorpharia and not a Pseudocorynactis- I have plenty of those also. This coral had a much thicker body. Any thoughts on this? Trouble? Good? Leave it alone?

Thanks for your input,

Scott

imagejpg2_zps9ddda5d0.jpg

imagejpg1_zps243e708b.jpg

Looks like a clear Ricordea yuma.

Possibly, but Yuma typically have small tentacle 'bumps' extending up the central cone to the mouth.

The white 'half domes' on the tentacle tips are very interesting as is how thick the tentacles are in relation to the disk. After months in the tank in an area with decent illumination, I would have expected more pigment in a more typical 'Shroom and not so much transparency. Does it accept small food pieces? If so, you can increase it's growth substantially by feeding it 2-3/week. Do you know the place of origin of the live rock?

These small hitchhikers are great. Never know, with some care it may turn out to be the centerpiece of the tank :)

Possibly, but Yuma typically have small tentacle 'bumps' extending up the central cone to the mouth.

The white 'half domes' on the tentacle tips are very interesting as is how thick the tentacles are in relation to the disk. After months in the tank in an area with decent illumination, I would have expected more pigment in a more typical 'Shroom and not so much transparency. Does it accept small food pieces? If so, you can increase it's growth substantially by feeding it 2-3/week. Do you know the place of origin of the live rock?

These small hitchhikers are great. Never know, with some care it may turn out to be the centerpiece of the tank :)

You are right but that would be the best guess for it in its current state, since, its still developing. As you can see though, the "bumps" are proportional and are in line with the mouth but aren't touching it yet which is why I stated it is developing. What is interesting though is that it is clear. I have baby yumas that have color at development. Even if it were to bleach, it would go white and not clear. It also has highlighted tips so it ended seems like thats the overall color it will remain.

OP, make sure you take care of it. It may turn out to be a rare specimen.

Thanks for the input- it is quite an interesting little piece- definitely likes the light- it was all closed up this morning . Great observations from everyone - keep em coming!

It looks hungry :) You might want to carefully remove the encroaching red cyano (I'd use an old toothbrush and then a few careful blasts from a turkey baster).

It's quite interesting that we tend to dump all Indo-Pacific Ricordia into the 'Yuma' barrel, but I believe that this whole genus needs to be looked at more closely.

Even with Ricordia florida things may not be all that cut-and-dry. I have a specimen direct from Florida (when Coralmorphologic used to ship) and it has bumps on, and forked branching of, the tentacles...which is never supposed to happen with this species per Sprung/Delbeek.

This specimen seems to be doing well where it is, so I wouldn't mess with it except to feed it once in a while. You could take a pic every month or two so that the development would be recorded.

It looks hungry :) You might want to carefully remove the encroaching red cyano (I'd use an old toothbrush and then a few careful blasts from a turkey baster).

It's quite interesting that we tend to dump all Indo-Pacific Ricordia into the 'Yuma' barrel, but I believe that this whole genus needs to be looked at more closely.

Even with Ricordia florida things may not be all that cut-and-dry. I have a specimen direct from Florida (when Coralmorphologic used to ship) and it has bumps on, and forked branching of, the tentacles...which is never supposed to happen with this species per Sprung/Delbeek.

This specimen seems to be doing well where it is, so I wouldn't mess with it except to feed it once in a while. You could take a pic every month or two so that the development would be recorded.

Red cyano- this is just covering the rock in various places - I thought it was more of a coralline because it is solid- not slimy and does get thick. I can scrape it with a tweezer and it comes off but not like the cyano I've had and a tooth brush doesn't touch it? Cyano?

Alright! Been researching- definitely not Cyano- it's plating and crusy- a red coralline . Yes I'll be keeping up and photographing the growth of the coral in question- The tank gets morning and nightly feedings so I am sure it is benefitting from them.

• 1 month later...

The little guy keeps keeping on.....starting grow well

imagejpg1_zps16b07e71.jpg

There he is in the bottom middle?

imagejpg2_zps0bf17c89.jpg

And caught him closed up in the afternoon for a bit................still not sure what it is?

imagejpg1_zps6f5d0b27.jpg

These guys are ball anemones. Harmless, NPS. Feed em meaty bits and they'll grow and multiply all over the tank (usually in dark hidden areas). They'll breed in your tank and you'll sporadically find new ones in places far away from the originals

These guys are ball anemones. Harmless, NPS. Feed em meaty bits and they'll grow and multiply all over the tank (usually in dark hidden areas). They'll breed in your tank and you'll sporadically find new ones in places far away from the originals

I have ball anems but they have an orange base and clear arms- longer and thinner and hangout underneath the rock- this guy has thicker arms and loves the light - might be another variation though

I have these same exact guys. They expand more in the dark; in well lit areas they shrink and look like the first picture. You can kinda see the orange base in the last pic you posted of it closed up. They ARE in the mushroom family, so you're not incorrect. They are clear, so they don't host any zooxanthellae; they are NPS. Here are a few pic of mine I ust took for you:

k8PTYAr.jpg

NBNiz8I.jpg

They are a bit more extended because they lights were off before I took the pic, but you get the idea

I have these same exact guys. They expand more in the dark; in well lit areas they shrink and look like the first picture. You can kinda see the orange base in the last pic you posted of it closed up. They ARE in the mushroom family, so you're not incorrect. They are clear, so they don't host any zooxanthellae; they are NPS. Here are a few pic of mine I ust took for you:

k8PTYAr.jpg

NBNiz8I.jpg

They are a bit more extended because they lights were off before I took the pic, but you get the idea

Awesome- that's it- nice job thanks- so not a ball? My ball anems orange base is very noticeable and it looks completely different. So how long have you had yours , What size are yours? . Do you think they are a threat to smaller fish?

So yes, those are ball anemones. Ball anemones are a type of corallimorph.

I've had mine for as long as I've had the tank, so like 2 years? The largest is about 1/2 an in i think. If the fish were about their size or smaller they might pose a threat

So yes, those are ball anemones. Ball anemones are a type of corallimorph.

I've had mine for as long as I've had the tank, so like 2 years? The largest is about 1/2 an in i think. If the fish were about their size or smaller they might pose a threat

Thanks for the ID- ? I am thinking about a Blenny . I also have another type as I said with longer tentacles - both kinda scare me with a fish that tools around on or near the rock? What fish do you keep with them- currently I just have clowns

Archived