ReefCleaners.org

Tall cylindrical sump/Refugium?

ryanlogic

Ok I've been blasting all the forum sections tonight... But I promise this post will be more interesting.

I would need to find the right size cabinet first... But assuming I did... I have kind of a crazy idea for my a 12 inch rimless cube I have laying around unused.

I'm thinking about getting an overflow kit from glass-holes.com, and using a tall glass vase(8inch diameter X 30 inches tall) I have laying around to make a tall sump/Refugium.

Would that be a dumb Idea?

I was thinking to put a pump in the bottom, with some purigen, Followed by a large amount of chaeto, and then some poly fill or a filter sock for the return pipe.... Essentially just a big mechanical filter with lots of chaeto.

yea the more I think about it the less awesome it seems... I'd have to take everything out to get to the pump, it would be a disaster.

Because if you lost siphon with that setup there's nothing to limit flow to the pump like a baffle, so it would empty the whole sump into the pump. I'm talking about the vase idea, the cube would work just fine with baffles.

Because if you lost siphon with that setup there's nothing to limit flow to the pump like a baffle, so it would empty the whole sump into the pump. I'm talking about the vase idea, the cube would work just fine with baffles.

I would be using a drilled overflow from glass-holes.com so no worries there... Unless the pipe clogged up.

That would be my concern. Another example would be if the pump died the sump could overflow.

Granted I'm not saying these things are likely, but it's something to consider. In my opinion a cube sump would be best.

Although, if you don't need a lot of volume you could use a 5G bucket as a sump and still have a baffle. How? Well you could silicon a section of 4-5" diameter PVC to the bottom of the bucket so water would overflow that pipe to get to the pump. Just a thought.

That would be my concern. Another example would be if the pump died the sump could overflow.

Granted I'm not saying these things are likely, but it's something to consider. In my opinion a cube sump would be best.

Although, if you don't need a lot of volume you could use a 5G bucket as a sump and still have a baffle. How? Well you could silicon a section of 4-5" diameter PVC to the bottom of the bucket so water would overflow that pipe to get to the sump. Just a thought.

Archived