Pod Your Reef

The reefbreeders supernova at macna

hey

lol, I actually just found that and was going to post it.. very cool..

Seriously it is quite a contraption, id be afraid to mount one about 10% power initially over anything.

The company that designed that board (Modaquatics/Solid State LED Lighting) has been around for a while, and hasn't been too well received by many of us in the past. Not saying that this one won't work, but it's not quite what you think.

So, the way this board works is that it uses heavy copper layers in the PCB to distribute heat across the board. The fans blow on exposed areas of the PCB where the copper thermal planes are exposed to air. There is no heatsink in the traditional sense. In previous iterations of these boards, the drive current was kept to 350-500mA to keep localized heating to a minimum. This is why there are so many LEDs littered across the fixture.

I'm not happy about seeing linear drivers. The old version used much higher efficiency buck drivers. This was probably done to save cost.

The company that designed that board (Modaquatics) has been around for a while, and hasn't been too well received by many of us in the past. Not saying that this one won't work, but it's not quite what you think.

So, the way this board works is that it uses heavy copper layers in the PCB to distribute heat across the board. The fans blow on exposed areas of the PCB where the copper thermal planes are exposed to air. There is no heatsink in the traditional sense. In previous iterations of these boards, the drive current was kept to 350-500mA to keep localized heating to a minimum. This is why there are so many LEDs littered across the fixture.

I'm not happy about seeing linear drivers. The old version used much higher efficiency buck drivers. This was probably done to save cost.

I know very very little about led's to understand what is going on in the fixture. It just looks very complicated compared the the bulk of led fixtures on the market.

Interesting to see someones expert opinion of it though, will also be interesting to see how it is received by the public

I'm just surprised it actually exists... they've been teasing this for years now and scrapped it once or twice and started over..

I do like the CF shell, that's pretty neat.. but after reading what evil posted, doesn't sound too promising..

Don't bash on it too hard. It's too early to tell exactly what it comprises of. For all I know the power limits have been raised to make it a little more practical ($700-$880 for an 80-100W fixture is a lot of money), and the linear drivers could be tuned to be somewhat efficient (all depending on how many LEDs per driver, and what the operating voltage is).

It is a very exotic price tag with some exotic materials, for a fixture that doesn't have exotic features (the single LED customization isn't exactly new, i.e. AI Vega). Lets not hang it by its toenails until more details are revealed.

Saw it today. It's LEDs are all replaceable by the user, assuming the user has a screwdriver. So are the drivers. Everything is very simply labeled and it all is incredibly well laid out on the board.

After seeing it in person, the $700 price tag makes sense. It's a light with future proofing built into it, a lot better than I've seen other companies try to.

Same basic type of "future proofing" the Maxpect Mazzara used. I don't see much advertised for the Mazzara anymore.

It's a little early yet to hang it out to dry based on performance but visually speaking I can't say I like the carbon fiber.

The labeling is pretty cool but I think that a, preferably black, sheet of acrylic, or similar material, or something similar across the PCB to cover the words and electrical components that aren't LEDs would be more visually appealing.

Speaking of that PCB. I see 28 Drivers. That's a lot of drivers. Though given that there's 10 channels that's 3 for 8 channels and 2 for the remaining two. I count 84 LEDs. Looks like there's slots for 4 more fans in case they are nessesary to accompany the existing 6.

I think when we get more information it will make the estimated price tag make more sense.

Is it just me or does it seem that the led world has taken a shift into the just how many LEDs can we cram into a small space. With all the components involved it just makes halides with their lack of components seem to be another reason why I've stayed with halides.

Archived