Innovative Marine Aquariums

what salt?

ghostgr

What salt does everyone use? Im currently using io marine and its not meeting my rquirements. Im thinkong of going with io reef crystals. Whats everyone else running?

Get a salt that matches your parameters - simple as that. Or, alternativly, pick a salt you can easily get and keep your parameters exactly where the salt mixes to. I used Reef Crystals for a couple of years, but since I dose and keep my Alk around 8.4 now that my tank is primarily acros, I switched over to the Brightwells for the simple reason that is mixes up closest to where I keep my parameters.

Every single salt on the market is capable of supporting any coral and they all have their benefits and drawbacks...

TLF is coming out with a salt in individual packages measured in 4.5 gal increments. Supposedly keeps the salt mix more consistent and makes measuring spot on as long as you mark a bucket for 4.5gal aswell as keeping salt fresh and not moisture exposed. I will probably give that a try when it is released for ease of use.

TLF is coming out with a salt in individual packages measured in 4.5 gal increments. Supposedly keeps the salt mix more consistent and makes measuring spot on as long as you mark a bucket for 4.5gal aswell as keeping salt fresh and not moisture exposed. I will probably give that a try when it is released for ease of use.

Damn, I mark all my buckets at 4 g. And since I useover 2000 gph gph flow to mix it quick at 4.5g I'd have water on the floor :( LOL

Damn, I mark all my buckets at 4 g. And since I useover 2000 gph gph flow to mix it quick at 4.5g I'd have water on the floor :( LOL

we need 6g buckets clearly

Red sea coral pro, its the bees knees

Don't know nuttin' about no bees..... But I also use RSCP and have had good results as well.

However, I just used up what I had and I'm seriously considering switching to hw MarineMix Reefer Salt. BRS carries it and has a nice video on it. It is not a new salt as it has been around a while, but it does come very highly recommended. It is pricey, they only offer it in a 120 gallon size, but at the rate I use it, it should last me a year and a half even doing weekily water changes.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/hw-marinemix-reefer-salt-mix.html

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using a 55/45 mix of Red Sea Blue Bucket and Red Sea Coral Pro. The 14dKH Alk of the Coral pro was great when I was doing weekly water changes but without supplementation I was finding I would get huge Alk swings during the week as the tank matured. I have since lowered my Alk to 9.5dKH and my 55/45 mix gives me a perfect Alk mix every time and this Alk level is easier to maintain with my doser.

I'm using a 55/45 mix of Red Sea Blue Bucket and Red Sea Coral Pro. The 14dKH Alk of the Coral pro was great when I was doing weekly water changes but without supplementation I was finding I would get huge Alk swings during the week as the tank matured. I have since lowered my Alk to 9.5dKH and my 55/45 mix gives me a perfect Alk mix every time and this Alk level is easier to maintain with my doser.

I am also using RSCP and have been for awhile but i want to start doing what Rollajase does and mix RSCP with RS Blue bucket to customize my Alk.

Only issue is that I have a 5g pico and 350 gals worth of salt mix is expensive and quite BIG and with a 2 gal per week water change, the salt would last for over 3 years.

I buy the Coral pro salt in 55 gal buckets but can only find The Blue bucket variety in 175 gal sizes. Any ideas where i could get Red Sea blue bucket in smaller sizes.....Thanks

I am also using RSCP and have been for awhile but i want to start doing what Rollajase does and mix RSCP with RS Blue bucket to customize my Alk.

Only issue is that I have a 5g pico and 350 gals worth of salt mix is expensive and quite BIG and with a 2 gal per week water change, the salt would last for over 3 years.

I buy the Coral pro salt in 55 gal buckets but can only find The Blue bucket variety in 175 gal sizes. Any ideas where i could get Red Sea blue bucket in smaller sizes.....Thanks

I traded a heap of corals (mainly Xenia) back to my LFS for a 2KG bag of the RSBB salt ;). With my water change routine this will last me about 4 months. I'm going to buy the smallest bucket available from my LFS when this bag runs out. They don't usually stock the small bucket but said they can order it in for me. Perhaps your LFS can do the same?

As others said, use whatever has the parameters you want. Salt is salt.

I use Coralife salt atm because it is cheap and mixes to proper parameters I keep my tank at. SPS are growing well so I guess it works ;)

Archived