SaltCritters.com

Need advice regarding inTank Media Basket on Biocube 14

CJreefers

Hey Fellow Reefers,

New to the hobby and have a general question regarding best practice when it comes to chemical filtration.

BACKGROUND: 14 Gallon Coralife Biocube; roughly 15lbs. of live rock, 10 lbs. live sand, inTank Media Basket in Chamber 2 (containing Filter Floss, Purigen, and Chemipure Elite)

I started my tank on May 31, 2014. Tonight, August 27, 2014 I changed out the contents of my inTank Media Basket for the first time (so it's been just under three months).

Was this to early, right on time, or not enough info? My water parameters (pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates) have been fine, actually right on spot during the duration of this time. Lately I have noticed some brown hair algae within the sand, but I think I am getting it under control by reducing my light schedule. Also added a couple more hermit crabs and snails. Regardless, my main reason for switching out the Filter Floss (done about every other week anyway), the Purigen, and the Chemipure Elite was simply because I was under the impression it should be cleansed or changed every three months.

Any thoughts?

Yes. On their website they suggest to change it out every three months or so. I changed it out after seven months and I was fine. I change filter floss every week also.

The carbon and GFO in the chemi pure are spent a little earlier than three months but the purigen is probably spot on. You can tell when all the pellets brown or turn red.

I would change the floss at least once a week, if not twice. But all of this is tank dependent. As long as you feed the tank with the filtration pump off you can extend the use of the floss a few days and keep the rear chambers cleaner.

Archived