SaltCritters.com

Aviators Flight Log. PicO 5gal (ID HELP please)

aviator300

After starting 4 reef tanks in about 9 months, I hope i finally will get this one right. I have learned a great deal about reef tanks in a relatively short amount of time from all the great folks on this forum as well as trial and error (mostly error unfortunately).

I think my biggest mistake so far has been trying to start as inexpensively as i could and then upgrade when my wallet said to.

This was the wrong approach and cost me much more than buying the gear i wanted in the first place so this time i decided to do it different.

Rather than starting with a bigger tank and buying tons of automated equipment with all the bells and whistles, I concentrated on finding a top quality smaller tank and light and then go from there, keeping quality and simplicity in the forefront.

After much research and forum searching, I decided on the PicO Aquariums 5 gal AIO tank and a Nano Box Mini-Tide light with storm controller. I was considering the Fluval Spec V but was impressed with the reviews i read on Chris's tanks over at PicO Aquariums and of course, the Nano Box speaks for itself.

UPS says my tank will be delivered tomorrow (Wed Aug 27) and i'm ordering the Tide right after I finish posting this. I am really excited about this build and hope many of you will follow along with me on this journey as i have been following many of you on yours.

Will post pics and my equipment and stocking list tomorrow when i have more time and i really need everyone's help to make this a fun and successful reef tank. AVIATOR

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think i contributed by buying a heater... Good luck man! I'm hoping it turns out fantastic.

That you did my Friend. How's the heater working?

Where's the tank brother!?

It's here cycling. I just haven't had the time to post pics yet but i will soon. Yesterday was day 1 of the cycle and I just heard from Nano Box Dave that the light shipped today. Yipeee.

Day 2

The tank arrived several days ago and I documented its arrival and setup with some pics. (My photobucket is not allowing me to edit pics so I apologize if their size is too small or big until I fix the situation).

I don't think this is the package from " Medillen Colombia " I was expecting Hush hush.

c975dd28-7374-411a-87aa-c97fddcf60ee_zps

These next pics seem to be just a replay of Rocksmoms pics of hers. LOL.

20140827_1520121_zps6a3a468b.jpg

20140827_151915_zpsc5b4bc23.jpg

20140827_152050_zps8a54a59a.jpg

Wet pics to come in next day or two.

Tank

PicO Aquariums 5G AIO with 1/4" low iron glass

Filtration

Self contained in rear compartment with 120 GPH stock pump.

Flow

Stock pump + Hydor Nano 240 in display = Total flow of 360 GPH

Sand and Rock

4 lbs BRS Reef Saver dry rock + 1/2" standard Aragonite sand

Lighting

Nano Box Mini Tide with Storm controller (to be here Friday)

ATO

DIY gravity feed.

Skimmer

None at this time

Modifications

I blocked the lower intake grill for stronger surface skimming

I wanted to try VidaRock in the display but Aqua-Tech has an extremely limited supply and doesn't expect any shipment for several weeks at least.

I contacted the manufacturer "Cerameco" who said they were totally revamping and automating production and had no time frame for shipping.

Livestock (all livestock are waiting in quarantine tank and are from a previous tank)

Standard green Zoas

Devils Armor Palys

Lord of the Rings Zoas

Armor of God Palys

Florida Ricordias x 3

Yellow Polyps

Red Montipora Cap

GSP

Torch Coral

Green Hammer

CUC

False Percula Clown

Emerald crab or Porcelin crab

1" brittle or serpant Star. (Hitch hiker)

I'm really looking forward to the Mini Tide and probably will reach out for help in programming it.

I used Bio Spira (same as Dr Tims One and Only but much cheaper) to seed the tank and Ammonia drops to feed it. I also added some red Coraline algae scrapings to the tank.

Well, it's 1:45 in the morning but I promised several folks i'd post today. Now I am hitting the sack. Talk to everyone later and if Y'all have any questions, fire away..BYE

Day 3

I was up very late last night posting photos so i'm pretty tired today. I hope you guys appreciate it LOL.

Anyway, here's the cycle specs for the day

AMMONIA 0.75

NITRITE 0.00

NITRATE unk

I took some more pics today for your viewing pleasure Ha ha. The tank is currently lit by a Coral Compulsion PAR 38 20k but the NanoBox should be here tomorrow and as soon as i figure out the "Storm" programming, I'll have it on the tank for pics.

That said, what does everyone think about lighted vs dark cycling. I usually dark cycle but then i have no algae (food) for the CUC even weeks after the tank is cycled?

ooops. Wouldn't you know, Photo Bucket is not working at all for me today and thumbnail says file to big to open. Sorry, i'm only minimally computer literate so the pics will have to wait.

We're in the same boat, I have started up tanks and broke them down so many times. This time I decided its the last and am being as patient as I can and buying the equipment I want.

I also have been camping on aqua tech, it's ridiculous! Nothin on the site for awhile now.

Good luck on the cycle!

OK. With the help of Tamberav and others, i was able to post some pics through an alternate site named "Minus" until i can figure out whats wrong with my PhotoBucket access.

Here they are I hope?

http://minus.com/i/ZgNlstbqyMab

http://minus.com/i/wqjTbpbrFLVH

http://minus.com/i/bp7OkkZ8PpX2S

Also, could you guys give me some thoughts on Lighted vs dark cycling. Like i asked in my last post, I never seem to be able to get a diatom bloom to give the CUC something to clean up using dark cycling. On the other hand, i dont want to stimulate a tank overwhelmed by various and sundry types of pest algae.

Talk at Y'all later. AVIATOR

Nice scape! Ours couldn't be much different between your sand and natural looking rocking and my bb and bonsai. It will be cool to see them progress "side by side."

I went back and forth on the light vs dark cycle as well. I did quite a bit of searching around on here and the majority sounds like they go with a lighted cycle. I guess if you are going to have those algae blooms anyway, you might as well get them out of the way early. Mine is just starting to have diatoms and some type of film algae on the glass. I'm guessing that means the nitrites finally dropped, but I haven't tested in a few days.

Nice scape! Ours couldn't be much different between your sand and natural looking rocking and my bb and bonsai. It will be cool to see them progress "side by side."

I went back and forth on the light vs dark cycle as well. I did quite a bit of searching around on here and the majority sounds like they go with a lighted cycle. I guess if you are going to have those algae blooms anyway, you might as well get them out of the way early. Mine is just starting to have diatoms and some type of film algae on the glass. I'm guessing that means the nitrites finally dropped, but I haven't tested in a few days.

I think i'll go with a lighted cycle also but maybe only 5 or 6 hrs a day to start.

Day 4

Ammonia 0.50

Nitrite 0

Nitrate unk

I want to get the Ammonia up a little so i added 5 drops of Dr Tims Ammonia.

A very nice Postman brought my NanoBox today and i'll tell you something. You just can't understand the quality and craftsmanship of these lights until you have one in your hand. This is the first one i've seen in the flesh and i'm very impressed with Dave's work. I will probably play with it and get it over the tank tomorrow.

I thought i'd post a pic right out of the box.

5fc63d78-037d-4fd9-bc13-2b03c0444f38_zps

Day 5

Ammonia 1.0

Nitrite 0.25

Nitrate unk

I guess adding a little more Ammonia yesterday helped to increase the level a little and it looks like the bacteria are starting to convert it to Nitrites a little bit. No need to test for Nitrates until Nitrites peak.

I used Bio Spira by Instant ocean on this build instead of Dr Tims one and only (like i have in the past) because of cost. Dr Tims is twice the cost of Bio Spira but they are the same product, or at least very close.

I did a lot of research over this issue several months ago and posted my results so i wont go into a lot of detail here but it turns out that Dr Tim Hovanec worked for Instant Ocean and developed "Bio Spira" for them. He now owns his own business "Dr Tims Aquatics" and sells aquarium products including "Dr Tims one and only.

The interesting thing is that Bio Spira and Dr Tims one and only both carry the same exact Patent number issued to Dr Tim Hovanec.

Enough of that now. I installed the Mini Tide on the tank today and will post pics tomorrow.

See Y'all later: AVIATOR

Day 6

Ammonia 0.25 down from yesterday

Nitrites 0

Nitrates unk

Some of the bacteria must be lowering Ammonia and Nitrites a little so i added 7 drops of Ammonia to get the level closer to 2ppm. Once the Ammonia and Nitrites zero out eventually, i'll add one last Ammonia challenge to see if it clears within 24 hrs and then check for Nitrates. Unlike in the past , i'll wait for something to clean up before adding the CUC.

On another subject, i'm getting some long and very thin strands of hair growing on live rock in my Quarantine tank. They are extremely thin and don't grow in tufts or clumps but rather singly. They can be up to 2 or 3" long. I have posted pics of them on other sub forums but no one seems able to ID them. Are they GHA, Bryopsis, Vermetid snails, or what. Their points of origin on the rock and some frags are too small to see so i dont think they are snail snot (yuck)

Can anyone on this forum help id them so i can treat before adding frags to my PicO 5 ?

One of the pics is of a single hair coming from rock and the other is a magnified view of origin site.

http://minus.com/i/bnuM8eeWZp1J5

post-82910-0-49798400-1410146841_thumb.jpg

Archived