Innovative Marine Aquariums

The Holy Grail!

PacificEastAquaculture

PacificEastAquaculture
You may know about our collection station in French Polynesia where we collect and culture clams and fish. Dr. Mac designed and set up the facility there along with strict protocols for hand netting, treating, and conditioning all fish so that they are super healthy and eating before ever being shipped to us here at our state licensed aquaculture facility in Maryland.

We received two rare "HOLY GRAIL" Two-Faced Maxima clams that our partner had been holding for several months until Dr. Mac convinced him to send it to us instead of one our customers in Japan. Folks complain that all the super odd rarities go to Japanese hobbyists, well here's your chance to own something truly rare and different!! These clams are so rare that we estimate maybe one in every 2 million has this unique color pattern!! We sold one of the Holy Grail clams several weeks ago and thought we had a buyer for this clam. The buyer was unable to take the clam last minute and backed out. Get this clam for your reef and you will be one of the few people in the world with a rare "HOLY GRAIL" clam!

This "Holy Grail" Two-Faced Maxima is posted on the Clam Page of our website for $2000.

tn_greenchimera_1_zps3834a3c2.jpg

PacificEastAquaculture

Photos from Dr. Mac's last visit to our collection station in Tahiti.

tn_IMG_1577_zpsf80398c9.jpg

tn_IMG_1571_zps3526c036.jpg

tn_IMG_1500_zps62d3c594.jpg

tn_mac_photos_170_zpse349d253.jpg

tn_mac_photos_197_zps2f7ae9aa.jpg

tn_mac_photos_198_zps6c28ff98.jpg

tn_mac_photos_81_zpsdc1fabd6.jpg

tn_IMG_4247_zps9c07692a.jpg

Great pictures. I had a question about the clams in the baskets held afloat by the buoys.

How far below the water surface are those baskets? I'm always worried that my clams aren't getting enough light in the tank and this picture seems not too bright either. Was it an overcast day, or sediment in the water? Curious about the light levels the clams are getting in the ocean there.

PacificEastAquaculture

Great pictures. I had a question about the clams in the baskets held afloat by the buoys.

How far below the water surface are those baskets? I'm always worried that my clams aren't getting enough light in the tank and this picture seems not too bright either. Was it an overcast day, or sediment in the water? Curious about the light levels the clams are getting in the ocean there.

Great question. The depth of the baskets in the water varies as there are multiple ones in different areas. One thing to remember is this setting has natural sunlight which is quite different then tank lighting. This holding area is also temporary and is not something to compare to when keeping these clams in your tank long term. We recommend keep these clams under 400 watt metal halides or equivalent. The more light the better. Most often these clams are found in very shallow water, often times only in a few feet where there is a lot of natural sunlight.

Archived