SaltCritters.com

BTA Splitting?

Riddler05

Hey everyone,

I just picked up a new anemone yesterday, and this morning it was looking kind of sick. The anemone was deflated and its mouth was wide open. I was wondering if the anemone is splitting or if it is dieing.

Sorry about the crummy pics, all I had was my phone.

image_zpsd833f2a5.jpeg

image_zps983f28fb.jpeg

How did you acclimate it? What kind of light do you and how old is your tank? It doesn't look good but it does look like it is attached to the glass which is a good thing. It does look very stressed.,

I had one look like that after it managed to try to move up into my AC110. Then after it got out of there it went into a cave luckily I was able to get the rock it was on without a problem and move it up to the light and start feeding it it has doubled in size in a month and doing very well.

Looks pretty rough but don't give up on it yet. Its foot looks good and planted but if it starts to detach itself and you have alot of nice corals just chalk it up as a loss.

Hey thanks everyone for all the comments. The anemone looked fine in the store (mouth closed and no cuts of the foot) but by the time I got home (~1hr) it looked all puffy and unhappy. I drip acclimated it for 1hr and all my parameters looked alright. My phosphate was a little high (0.10) which may have been the problem (?) but all my other parameters were normal (dKH=9.8, Nitrate and Nitrite=0, Amonia=0, SG=1.025). Anyways it turned out that it let go of the glass and got sucked into my pump. I was able to pull out all the large pieces and did a couple of 75% water changes and everything else looks good. I have other anemones and I love them but now I am a little nervous to try again.

Archived