Cultivated Reef

Fluval Spec 3 Reef (WARRNING PICTURE HEAVY)

saltwatercoral

saltwatercoral

The day has come to get this thing officially going! I have now have live sand in and the live rock is almost ready to go in. I have a little over 4lbs of cured live rock and about 7-8lbs of live sand. I’m just waiting on the water to finish mixing and the temp and salinity to get where I need it to be! Here are some progress shots for now...

D230CEA6-EC8B-404F-9CDE-FEAA290567B6_zps

8D88C2A8-25D7-4DF5-9111-1597EA8CB5DC_zps

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
saltwatercoral

Just put all the LR in and just letting things settle. Its not scaped yet so I will do a little more when I can start to see everything!

2DCFBBFA-D537-4FBD-B823-F47B7F7ED687_zps

My First Hitchhiker... A little brittle star

BD71A999-109B-4143-8887-6D6997C5BDE6_zps

saltwatercoral

Here is the last pic for tonight. Im heading home now and will be back in the AM to tweak the scape and see how things are going!

DDA33D34-80A7-40F7-8849-C4E80D43C044_zps

saltwatercoral

So it’s all cleared up this morning and the temp is about 78! The salinity is a little high (1.027) so I will need to tweak that. Other than that I need to re-scape and monitor!

4B1B1CC3-B010-41C4-8CFF-F7AFC03C7D0E_zps

So it’s all cleared up this morning and the temp is about 78! The salinity is a little high (1.027) so I will need to tweak that. Other than that I need to re-scape and monitor!

4B1B1CC3-B010-41C4-8CFF-F7AFC03C7D0E_zps

I think the scape looks good already.

saltwatercoral

Lovin' the tank, dude. Your setup is so clean and neat, which your boss would definitely appreciate! Can't wait to see your living work of art. B)

Thanks ETucc! When I sold my 120g reef setup a few months back I told the guy that I wanted some frags when I get another tank! He is going to give me some frags for my little pico setup here. What I might do is get a frag or 2 of corals and a few snails and see how things go in this tank before I get the nice frags in. I’m hoping to have this thing stocked in about 2-3 weeks!

I'd get like a cool little Panda Clown Goby in there if I were you. They're so adorable and friendly... He'll greet you every morning at work! If you were thinking of adding a fish, anyway. I have a YCG and he's the coolest. I hand feed him pellets :)

saltwatercoral
I'd get like a cool little Panda Clown Goby in there if I were you. They're so adorable and friendly... He'll greet you every morning at work! If you were thinking of adding a fish, anyway. I have a YCG and he's the coolest. I hand feed him pellets :)

I'm going to hold off on fish for this setup. I may get a few sexy shrimp and a CUC but that's about it.

I did get a Pulsating Xenia and a Green Star Plop frag today. They are In the tank and going to monitor how they do! I'll post pics tomorow!

saltwatercoral

So as I promised... MORE PICS!!!! I wanted to get a macro lense so I just got one today! Does anyone know how to get the iphone to not get the blue light to wash out the pics??? This is pain!!! :angry:

8567D150-2039-4A29-BE33-D92831B37B0C_zps

5A4BA28C-AE67-459F-856E-8C487B8475F0_zps

80C88DC0-3AAF-4297-91D6-D48C411599A4_zps

86B689A9-C5B4-45E6-8E39-FE78690556A7_zps

I have to agree with Mariaface, I've used the olloclip quite a bit and you can't change a ton as far as blues on the phone (even with iPhoto), but if you can change the lighting it works better. I'm excited to see this tank going - I need to get some more pics of mine up now that I've started putting some stuff in it :)

saltwatercoral
When I can't take photos with the DSLR, I just turn down the blues so my iPhone doesn't pick them up quite so much. It works out pretty well.
I may try to get the Aqua Illumination nano led light in a couple months. This way I can have it on its own timer and adjust the blue Hugh as well!

the scape looks good
Thanks oldskoolwayz!

I have to agree with Mariaface, I've used the olloclip quite a bit and you can't change a ton as far as blues on the phone (even with iPhoto), but if you can change the lighting it works better. I'm excited to see this tank going - I need to get some more pics of mine up now that I've started putting some stuff in it :)
I may need to go with the Aqua Illumination nano led light to tweak the light the way I need.

Does anyone know how to get the iphone to not get the blue light to wash out the pics??? This is pain!!! :angry:

There is an app called Snapseed that can adjust your photos.

idk if apple has it tho, i use a Note 2.

saltwatercoral

If you adjust the blues after the photo's been taken, you may get a decent-ish result but the photo loses quality fast.

This is the exact problem I have. I need to adjust before the pic before I take it. If I try after than the colors are all jacked up!

GET GEL FILTERS. They work wonders.

What are GEL filters?

Its pretty much little pieces of colored plastic that you put in front of the lense and it filters out the blue light. I bought it from a guy who sells them on a facebook group. I got a pack of like 10+ filters for $5 shipped. Added on to those lenses that you got, you can have some nice pictures with true colors.

saltwatercoral

Its pretty much little pieces of colored plastic that you put in front of the lense and it filters out the blue light. I bought it from a guy who sells them on a facebook group. I got a pack of like 10+ filters for $5 shipped. Added on to those lenses that you got, you can have some nice pictures with true colors.

Thanks xzeror! Do any stores sell these? I want to pick some up today if I can!

saltwatercoral

I think I will try to make my own. I have printable transparency sheets currently. What color filters would work best for getting the blue out when I take a pic?

saltwatercoral

What does everyone do for tanks at work? I have been thinking about my little pico tank am wondering how things are. I don't have a way to turn the lights on and off automatically yet. Also don't have a way to top it off with fresh RO water either. Should I need to worry about this or not worry about it for 2 days?

Archived