Top Shelf Aquatics

Fluval Spec 3 Reef (WARRNING PICTURE HEAVY)

saltwatercoral

saltwatercoral

Ok everyone, I have recently sold my 120 Reef setup less than 1yr ago and am setting up a Fluval Spec 3 on my desk at work. (its the biggests that my work approved)

HARDWARE THAT I HAVE PURCHASED ALREDY:
Fluval Spec 3
Ecoxotic PAR38 LED Aquarium Lamp (455nm all Blue Cree LEDS) and Lamp for the bulb.
Hydor Centrifugal 70 (to upgrade the existing pump)
Refractometer
nano mag glass cleaner

I am only going to put Zoas, GSP and maybe some pulsing xenia.

2_zps8354276a.jpg

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
saltwatercoral
I'll be excited to see the progress - this is the tank I've got set up this year in my classroom!

Thanks hinnenkm! Do you have a build thread for the one in your classroom? How long has that one been up and running for?

Thanks hinnenkm! Do you have a build thread for the one in your classroom? How long has that one been up and running for?

Here's the link to the thread:

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/348652-classroom-fluval-spec-iii-reef/

I put some of the dry rock in my 30 gallon at the beginning of July and then added a little bit of new dry rock when I started the tank. It has had water in it since about two weeks ago. I can't wait to start putting some frags in there - it's a good test of patience!

saltwatercoral
Here's the link to the thread:

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/348652-classroom-fluval-spec-iii-reef/'>http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/348652-classroom-fluval-spec-iii-reef/

I put some of the dry rock in my 30 gallon at the beginning of July and then added a little bit of new dry rock when I started the tank. It has had water in it since about two weeks ago. I can't wait to start putting some frags in there - it's a good test of patience!

I completely understand about the patience part! I can't wait myself but this part must not be rushed. Rome was not built in a day and neither was a reef tank!

saltwatercoral
very nice looking lil tank,i likes!!! B)

Thanks oldskoolwayz! It's a work in progress. I am looking at my last 120 gallon tank and am on track for about the same price! I'm looking at $100/gallon. I'm thinking about putting a Reef Keeper on this lil guy!

saltwatercoral

The tank temp is staying at 76.8 throughout the day without a heater. I'm going to put the bigger pump in tomorrow morning to get more flow. I'll also monitor the temp tomorrow and see what it is. I may need to get a small heater...

saltwatercoral

Im going to put the new Hydor pico pump in today and see what the temp stays at and also see how much better the flow is. This morning the temp was 76.5 and thats a bit colder than what I want it to be at...

6224F88B-B1DA-4BCD-BB06-85E9417E9062_zps

EDIT: The pump is now in and I can tell the flow is much better! I will see how the temp does today but does anyone recoment a Heater if I need to get one that is adjustable and will be very small?

I'd recommend the neotherm heaters they are super low profile and won't shatter and leak voltage as they are plastic. They are around 50$ though.

Not a problem I forgot to mention they hold temperature really well I've never had one but that's what I've been told numerous times.

saltwatercoral

Here is my list to hopefully get this weekend. Can you all think of anything else I may need?

2 Small 2gallon buckets for water changes.

1 Digital thermometer for monitoring temps for water change.

1 5gallon bucket of Reef Crystal salt.

1 Small pump for mixing saltwater for water changes.

1 Clear Hose for draining water (hose will fit small pump)

Live rock

Iive sand

2 heaters:

One for salt mixing

Second for tank

Coral feeder/turkey Baster

Coral glue

Coral putty

Anything I'm missing or should get?

saltwatercoral

Filter Floss!?

Looking forward to this build! :)

I may add that! Thanks edd29! I'm looking forward to this build myself!

saltwatercoral

That it maybe doing Mariaface! I know my weekend is booked so I am going to wait untill my lunch break on Tuesday (off Monday) and will get salt and a few other things I need to get this tank going!

saltwatercoral

Picked up a few things today on my lunch break! I think I am going to return the 2 aqueon 10w mini heaters. I saw these and thought... Perfect size and they even have a safety built into them. Although after reading reviews they sound very very unreliable and over heat to around 90deg!!! O well. Sunday is going to be the day that I get this thing going with the LR and LS!

I also grabbed an extra BioMax (mesh bag of ceramic pieces). I was going to put 1 bag in the bottom opening and a second bag in the top as well for better Bio filtration. The top opening was for a bag a chemipure or charcoal. Here is a picture of what I am talking about.... Suggestion’s?

3EFC9E15-3B45-40A9-8899-A5F0F89268AD_zps

D1A409E8-76D8-4691-8851-575FC46FA10D_zps

The ceramic pieces might end up trapping detritus and causing nitrate spikes if you don't keep them clean and unobstructed (it's like keeping live rock rubble in a sump, you know?). Chemipure Elite/Blue would be a good thing to keep in there, yes. The foam will also need to be kept clean, which is why it's suggested to buy filter floss in bulk. You can cut it to size, put it in the tank to trap detritus before your chemical/biological filtration, then throw it out after a day or two. If you don't, trapped detritus is going to break down in there. The only bonus I see to that is that pods will have stuff to munch on?

I'd say pick up a reliable heater that can definitely handle the tank (you want at least 25W if the ambient temperature's normal (maybe 10F cooler than the tank), 50W if it's cooler (say, up to 20F cooler), or 75W if you work in a freezer.

Do you have a glass thermometer to measure that digital one up against? They can be off by a couple of degrees, so make sure you know what the actual temperature is before you rely on the digital one.

saltwatercoral

The ceramic pieces might end up trapping detritus and causing nitrate spikes if you don't keep them clean and unobstructed (it's like keeping live rock rubble in a sump, you know?). Chemipure Elite/Blue would be a good thing to keep in there, yes. The foam will also need to be kept clean, which is why it's suggested to buy filter floss in bulk. You can cut it to size, put it in the tank to trap detritus before your chemical/biological filtration, then throw it out after a day or two. If you don't, trapped detritus is going to break down in there. The only bonus I see to that is that pods will have stuff to munch on?

I'd say pick up a reliable heater that can definitely handle the tank (you want at least 25W if the ambient temperature's normal (maybe 10F cooler than the tank), 50W if it's cooler (say, up to 20F cooler), or 75W if you work in a freezer.

Do you have a glass thermometer to measure that digital one up against? They can be off by a couple of degrees, so make sure you know what the actual temperature is before you rely on the digital one.

It sounds like I will use only one ceramic mesh bag at a time. I will get a good size Roll/sheets this weekend when I go to That Fish Place on Sunday! I'll be a kid in a candy store on Sunday when I go!

I'm going to get 3 reliable heaters. One for the tank, one for mixing saltwater and one for a backup.

I don't have a glass thermometer but will get one as well. I also grabed another digital one for mixing saltwater as well.

Thanks for all the good info Mariaface!

No problem! Always happy to help out!

I need to go through with throwing out two smaller heaters that I have that seem to be stuck in the 'on' position. But they're decently good at heating up water when it's mixing, so who knows.

Archived