Cultivated Reef

The Bestiarium

Dryland

Target Parameters:

Salinity: 1.025-1.026

Alk: 7-8 dKH

Temp: 80ºF

I'm currently not testing anything besides alkalinity, but I do a ~50% wc/week to keep things copacetic. I would like to get a good handle on my tanks consumption levels so I can start a solid dosing regimen, and do water changes less frequently (once every two weeks would be ideal).

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Target Parameters:

Salinity: 1.025-1.026

Alk: 7-8 dKH

Temp: 80ºF

I'm currently not testing anything besides alkalinity, but I do a ~50% wc/week to keep things copacetic. I would like to get a good handle on my tanks consumption levels so I can start a solid dosing regimen, and do water changes less frequently (once every two weeks would be ideal).

Parameters look pretty solid- with your 50% W/C your probably keeping everything in a good place. If your fine doing them once a week maybe back it down to .25% a week- less of a dramatic change for everything- just something to consider.

So I have estimated that my tank is using up ~1 dKH/ day. I guess between my duncan, fungia, 2 blasto frags, 2 acan mini-colonies, m. setosa frag and the coralline my tank is starting to pull a significant amount of alk.

I'm leaving for the holidays and won't be back for a week. The Bestiarium will be flying on auto-pilot. When I get back I'm going to start dosing in the morning and at night to counteract the swing as I can't imagine that a -1/+1 dKH swing every 24 hours is very conducive to coral health.

Enjoy your time off and happy reefing everyone!

So I have estimated that my tank is using up ~1 dKH/ day. I guess between my duncan, fungia, 2 blasto frags, 2 acan mini-colonies, m. setosa frag and the coralline my tank is starting to pull a significant amount of alk.

I'm leaving for the holidays and won't be back for a week. The Bestiarium will be flying on auto-pilot. When I get back I'm going to start dosing in the morning and at night to counteract the swing as I can't imagine that a -1/+1 dKH swing every 24 hours is very conducive to coral health.

Enjoy your time off and happy reefing everyone!

Might be time to think about a doser- I am getting one end of the month! I am trying to automate everything- got the feeder - the doser will be key- gotta leave the house some time?

• 2 weeks later...

I just got back form holiday and the tank is actually looking really good. I'll do a photo update this evening or tomorrow after I do some maintenance. Until then, check out this http://www.ted.com/talks/fabien_cousteau_what_i_learned_from_spending_31_days_underwater#t-492558]Fabian Cousteau Ted Talk[/url] about the month he spent living in an underwater reef lab.

That's always a scaring time when you walk in from a vacation and ck on things- awesome everyone is doing good!

So my gorg hasn't opened up in like five days. It still has some purple at the base and at the tips, so there may yet be hope. I'm going to do a water change today, hopefully that will help revive it. What is strange is that the frag I took of it is doing just fine...

So my gorg hasn't opened up in like five days. It still has some purple at the base and at the tips, so there may yet be hope. I'm going to do a water change today, hopefully that will help revive it. What is strange is that the frag I took of it is doing just fine...

That stinks- anything else happen to the tank on vacation that is now finally causing an issue? That is odd that the frag is doing better- water flow change?

That stinks- anything else happen to the tank on vacation that is now finally causing an issue? That is odd that the frag is doing better- water flow change?

I've had some algae growth, so nutrients got a little out of hand, but none of my other corals show any signs of stress, in fact my montipora is healing up well. I've noticed that my damsel has begun to nip neurotically at the gorg, which may have caused the problem initially. I'm going to try and net him if I can and banish him to my other tank.

I've had some algae growth, so nutrients got a little out of hand, but none of my other corals show any signs of stress, in fact my montipora is healing up well. I've noticed that my damsel has begun to nip neurotically at the gorg, which may have caused the problem initially. I'm going to try and net him if I can and banish him to my other tank.

Why do you think it was nipping at the gorg- damn damsels.........what's your other tank - 1st I've heard of this- your holding out on us?

Why do you think it was nipping at the gorg- damn damsels.........what's your other tank - 1st I've heard of this- your holding out on us

I don't think he is going after the polyps themselves, but algae and particles on the branches. I think the week without food sent the damsel into survival mode and now the nipping is enough to prevent the gorg from extending its polyps. I'm hoping the gorg will shed soon and the damsel will lose interest

As for my other tank, it's not really anything worth posting, just some small mangroves and a few hermit crabs that stepped out of line.

I don't think he is going after the polyps themselves, but algae and particles on the branches. I think the week without food sent the damsel into survival mode and now the nipping is enough to prevent the gorg from extending its polyps. I'm hoping the gorg will shed soon and the damsel will lose interest

As for my other tank, it's not really anything worth posting, just some small mangroves and a few hermit crabs that stepped out of line.

Ya- a week without food was probably tough on it- you ever thnk about getting an automatic feeder- I use a that for weekends when we head to the mountains

I was cruising around marine depot this morning, thinking about fish traps when I ended up placing an order for the hanna po4 checker. I read on advanced aquarist that it's readings compare favorably to a multi-thousand dollar lab spectrometer. I also bought an innovative marine 'spin stream' return nozzle. The hydor nozzle I have is a bit too large and clunky for this tank IMO.

Hopefully, by monitoring Alk and PO4 regularly I will be able to get a better handle on my systems needs.

I was cruising around marine depot this morning, thinking about fish traps when I ended up placing an order for the hanna po4 checker. I read on advanced aquarist that it's readings compare favorably to a multi-thousand dollar lab spectrometer. I also bought an innovative marine 'spin stream' return nozzle. The hydor nozzle I have is a bit too large and clunky for this tank IMO.

Hopefully, by monitoring Alk and PO4 regularly I will be able to get a better handle on my systems needs.

You'll love the spin streams- and that's one sexy shrimp!

But can Guy be your Buddy though?

Tank looks good! Hope you get rid of the algae soon.

Haha, thanks buddy! I decided to cut my photoperiod back from 10 hours on to only 6.5 hours on, so hopefully this in combination with monitoring PO4 will do the trick.

Are you switching?

Oh yeah. The only reason I bought the tropic marin pro mix was to get me by until the release of the triton salt. The TM worked well, but I wasn't aware at the time of purchase about the decreased alk levels of TM pro, which is a drag for those of us without calcium reactors (most nano-reefers I'm guessing).

My gorgonian hasn't opened up in over a week, I think I'm going to pull it out of the tank today. I can't believe I killed it. It really tied the room together.

Oh yeah. The only reason I bought the tropic marin pro mix was to get me by until the release of the triton salt. The TM worked well, but I wasn't aware at the time of purchase about the decreased alk levels of TM pro, which is a drag for those of us without calcium reactors (most nano-reefers I'm guessing).

My gorgonian hasn't opened up in over a week, I think I'm going to pull it out of the tank today. I can't believe I killed it. It really tied the room together.

That sucks- are you sure it's dead?

Deleted User 8

Wow, $48 for about 13 gallon mix! What about the part about not using it as your regular use mix? They make some interesting claims too, how does do all that?

"Triton PURE Salt- A special reef salt, formulated for the correction of problematic conditions, such as the unwanted accumulation of heavy metals, trace element overdose, unwanted growth of cyanobacteria, etc. This salt is manufactured from the highest quality pharmaceutical-grade ingredients for optimum purity and assimilation by reef animals. It is not intended to be a regular-use salt mix, and the entire 2 liter bucket must be mixed with 50L of pure RO water for optimum dissolution of elements. Once mixed with water, it can be used in smaller portions as needed. "

Buzz

Wow, $48 for about 13 gallon mix! What about the part about not using it as your regular use mix? They make some interesting claims too, how does do all that?

"Triton PURE Salt- A special reef salt, formulated for the correction of problematic conditions, such as the unwanted accumulation of heavy metals, trace element overdose, unwanted growth of cyanobacteria, etc. This salt is manufactured from the highest quality pharmaceutical-grade ingredients for optimum purity and assimilation by reef animals. It is not intended to be a regular-use salt mix, and the entire 2 liter bucket must be mixed with 50L of pure RO water for optimum dissolution of elements. Once mixed with water, it can be used in smaller portions as needed. "

Buzz

Crap, I didn't realize it only made 50L... I tried to cancel the order but it already shipped. Now I own a very expensive bucket of salt that doesn't make sense for my aquarium at all. :slap:

That sucks- are you sure it's dead?

I'm pretty sure. Even though I did a 50% water change I got an unusual amount of algae growth on the rock and glass overnight. I think the gorg had begun to decompose which may have also been driving down my alk. I removed it yesterday and things are looking better today. I really enjoyed that coral, but I must admit that removing it opened up some negative space in a good way.

15985576381_7caf08945b_h.jpgIMG_2857 by dryland970, on Flickr

15985577001_dd0e41a021_h.jpgIMG_2856 by dryland970, on Flickr

15987554075_c2ab642653_h.jpgIMG_2853 by dryland970, on Flickr

Archived