inTank Media Baskets

The Bestiarium

Dryland

So after no word from the company I ordered the nems from ("fin-addict aquatic collections") and after calling them five days in a row I opened a dispute through paypal and was refunded. I haven't received one word from the company issuing the refund. So now I have some coral money burning a hole in my pocket. Any suggestions? It seems that rockflowers are en mode right now, and while I do love them, I may want to wait for the trend to die back first. Maybe I'll get a nice piece of LPS instead?

Ya- I think some LPS would look great in your tank!

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I couldn't wait long and ordered 7 rics and 2 acans to make up for the anemone fail. I did a quick count and there are more than twenty mouthes I will be adding to the tank. One of the rics has four mouthes. Watching corals eat is fun.

Good news everyone!

I'm going to start using the Triton method. I will be sending in water samples to be analyzed by the ICP machine. I'll be sure to post the test results here for posterity. If you haven't heard about ICP spectrometry (yet) the founder of Triton gave a talk at MACNA.

is the youtube video.
Good news everyone! I'm going to start using the Triton method. I will be sending in water samples to be analyzed by the ICP machine. I'll be sure to post the test results here for posterity. If you haven't heard about ICP spectrometry (yet) the founder of Triton gave a talk at MACNA. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPs1WCdW4y4'>Here is the youtube video.
I don't know anything about this- I'll have to ck it out - keep us posted on what u think of it and if it's worth it.

Your sea fan - sorry I am probably wrong on that name - is sick- gives a lot of dimension to your tank

Your sea fan - sorry I am probably wrong on that name - is sick- gives a lot of dimension to your tank

Thanks! It is a sea fan, also called a gorgonian. It just shed it's membrane and now the polyps are extra fluffy.

how are the new rics??

They spread out a little more each day. All of the rics and the two acans arrived in great health and seem to be acclimating well:

15287492507_cc26a4c6bb_h.jpgIMG_2708 by dryland970, on Flickr

15287436518_bac238178a_h.jpgIMG_2707 by dryland970, on Flickr

15287435018_2f7287cb05_h.jpgIMG_2711 by dryland970, on Flickr

Sorry for the out of focus pictures, my camera doesn't really do the macro thing. I am going to look into renting a camera from my school or borrowing a friend's.

So that's on it's way to them? so what are they telling you from this test- overall analysis of water chemistry? How long before they get back to you? Interested to see what they tell you

The test will measure the concentrations of 32 different ionic elements. Hopefully I will get the results sometime next week.

The test will measure the concentrations of 32 different ionic elements. Hopefully I will get the results sometime next week.

Wow- pretty extensive- what salt are you using- and how long before you took water samples did you do a water change?

I buy pre-made from the LFS, and I believe they use reef crystals. I did a 20% change the day before taking the sample. I have noticed that the water from my LFS seems to irritate my corals much less than when I was mixing my own. One of the main goals for me with the Triton testing is to move away from WC's.

Really- that might be a tough one- not familiar enough with their system- is that what they feel their supplements can help you with- reduction of w/c's?

Really- that might be a tough one- not familiar enough with their system- is that what they feel their supplements can help you with- reduction of w/c's?

Yeah the triton guy recommends maintaining chemistry through dosing and using mechanical filtration (and refugia) to control nutrients and allelopathy instead of relying on WC's. He cites fluctuations in the concentrations of elements from batch to batch as one reason, and the irritation WC's cause to corals as another. He also made mention of contaminants being found in some salt brands. If I were a salt manufacturer I would be rushing to make my salt mix as awesome as possible before an aquarist gets it tested.

• 2 weeks later...

Just did a water change with water I bought from my LFS and took a specific gravity reading. 1.023. Down from 1.025. I called the store and the manager confirmed my suspicions; someone mixed the water too low. Awesome. Last time I do a WC without checking the salinity first.

Just did a water change with water I bought from my LFS and took a specific gravity reading. 1.023. Down from 1.025. I called the store and the manager confirmed my suspicions; someone mixed the water too low. Awesome. Last time I do a WC without checking the salinity first.

Ya- I never trust anyone with that stuff- luckily though my lfs store is always right on - so far-I got the Milwaukee digital salinity reader and it's super nice- easy when having to do multiple test when mixing water how's things going with Triton?

Deleted User 8

I don't know anything about that method, seems strange to me. Just wondering why you don't mix your own and why you would rely on the LFS monkeys to provide you with perfect water every time? You only have an 8 gal tank.

Also, with the method you are trying--how often is the water tested? Do they just do it once with the water you have and then tell you what to dose? I can't imagine dosing without tesitng in real time and not waiting for some lab assay.

I am always skeptical when I hear of a no water change method. Especially for such a small volume of water.

Buzz

Deleted User 8

So I went to the Triton-Method website. Wow. Kinda silly if you ask me. I'm too simplistic perhaps, but dosing based on a weeks old water sample does not seem logical. Although they do say 3 or so of these send away samplings is needed to dial in your tank.

How do you siphon out detritus in a tank without taking out water with it (i.e., doing a water change)?

I just don't think our tanks are that consistent.

Buzz

Deleted User 8

Dear Buzz, it's not my job to convince you of anything. And no, I didn't ask you.

M-kay. I was just curious.

I'm glad it doesn't seem illogical to you.

Buzz

I was getting pre mixed salt for the tank from my lfs probably the 1st 4 months - then switched to just getting RODI from them and mixing my own- Kent- super cheap . I got a 200 gallon supply for under 50 bucks?- I'll go and pick 25 gal. of water and it last me a good amount of time between W/C and top off- but that's where the Milwaukee digital refractor comes in handy

I was getting pre mixed salt for the tank from my lfs probably the 1st 4 months - then switched to just getting RODI from them and mixing my own- Kent- super cheap . I got a 200 gallon supply for under 50 bucks- I'll go and pick 25 gal. of water and it last me a good amount of time between W/C and top off- but that's where the Milwaukee digital refractor comes in handy

Thats a good idea, I think I will do the same, thanks! So you like kent salt mix? Clearly your tank is proof that it must be good stuff.

Archived