SaltCritters.com

Poll - New tank, Biocube 29 or 40B w/ stand & 20g sump?

Calvinorc

Looking for some input from people who have had either of these systems, their pros & cons, cost to build, etc.

For background, I started a Biocube 14 around 3.5 years ago, had it for a little over a year in my office, and it crashed catastrophically over a weekend. From what I could tell, a mushroom fought with an Acan, and the entire tank lost. :( I had done the usual upgrades: media rack/purigen/chemipure, chaeto, put in a Koralia nano powerhead, did the cooler fan upgrades, was working on a DIY LED fixture, reefkeeper lite, auto-doser for 2-part... had just bought a carbon/gfo reactor but hadn't installed it... have a 5state RO/DI system... I still have almost all of the components, just missing the tank itself.

My wife and I had a daughter, then had a house built 2 years ago and have been dying to put in a tank since... but money's somewhat tight, and we had a LOT of other priorities. Well, it's about time for the tank to move up on the hit list. Now the question is, which setup? 40 breeder with a DIY stand and 20g sump? or the all-in-one Biocube 29? Definitely want a slightly bigger tank than the 14 this time around.

So, with that being said, what do you all think? If you had to do it, which would you go with and why?? Really appreciate any feedback y'all can give!!

Thanks,

John

They are 2 completely different animals, some people prefer the simplicity of an aio, but I will say having a sump makes maintenance a lot easier.

Ok, peninsula style??

you keep all the filters on one end and extend it long ways from the wall, so you have 3 viewing sides instead of the traditional front view

edit* beat me to it

Another vote for the 40b. I own a 220 gallon with custom sump and filtration and a Fusion 30 and like each one. The Fusion sits on top of a dresser in our bedroom so there was no room for a sump. Thus I chose the all in one. As others stated, you can customize the 40 breeder with sump. Good luck on your decision.

Thanks everyone!! The peninsula style looks awesome, but I don't think it would fit in the space I'm planning to put the tank. :(

Now the other thing I need to figure out if I go the 40 B route, is lighting...... T5? LED? Obviously the led would be preferable, but... How much would a T5 setup run vs an LED for a tank that size?

+1 LEDs. I would also recommend nanobox. Working with Dave was fantastic. First rate customer service. The quad would be perfect for a 40B. It runs for $650 which includes a storm controller.

Archived