Innovative Marine Aquariums

AScarbro's 36 Bow Front

AScarbro14

Hello everyone I've been away from the reef world and finally decided it was time to set up another reef. I always wanted a bow front tank and I really don't have room for a 72 so I found a 36 with a stand at a pretty good deal. Slowly getting everything together and I am really wanting to do this one right. Here's what I have so far.

36 Bow Front

15 Long Custom Sump(Return/Fuge/Skimmer)

Equipment

Maxspect R420R 160w 16000k

VorTech MP 10

Two Little Fishies Phosban Reactor

Glass-holes 700gph Complete Overflow Kit

Mag 5 Return Pump

25 lbs of Dry Rock

I plan on going bare bottom and using the Fuge chamber for Cheato only. I am going to attempt to take a piece of acrylic or plastic and get sand to stick to it and give the appearance of a non bare bottom tank so if anyone has dome it please let me know.

As far as Aquascape goes I am going to make a single pillar in the center with a few over hangs. Not positive about that yet but we will see. My iPad won't let me upload pics so I will be getting some with my phone here soon so I can share my build with everyone.

Well here's the tank. I haven't drilled it yet mainly because I have no clue what I'm doing when it comes to that. But I plan on drilling it Friday after work. My friend has drilled some tanks in the past so he is going to come over and help me out.

9a3de65e59a11770df49b75af67074de.jpg

Wow, nice. I like the cabinet color. I have a 36 bow but mine is the light color. I wished I had put in a bigger sump, I only put in a 10g. I have an idea for the bottom...I used aquarium sealant on plexiglass, ( just spread a thin layer of sealant over the surface) and then sprinkle sand over it. Another idea I had wondered about for a true bare bottom tank was paint the bottom, underneath the tank with the gritted paint with sand in it. That way you have the smooth cleanable surface but hopefully the look of sand. Anyway FWIW.

Tank is drilled. Everything went very smooth but took alot longer than expected. Alot the back of the tank is painted black and the bottom of the tank is painted to simulate the look of sand. Really excited to get some pictures to see what you guys think of it. Also I got a piece of acrylic and cut it to the shape of the bottom of the tank to protect the glass from them rock. Finally I have started on the aquascape gonna try to work on it a little more tomorrow evening. I drilled the rock and used 3/8 and 1/2 acrylic rods with JB Water weld to hold it all together. Most likely going to need more rock so I went ahead and order an extra 30 lbs of rock and some rubble to fill the seams in. I will have pictures of everything up whenever I finish the aquascape.

Worked on the aquascape a little more tonight. It's harder than expected to drill the rock without breaking it but will be finished tomorrow night and I will finally have some pictures to show off my progress.

Anyone have any recommendations on a ATO? That is about the only thing I havent fully decided on.

Archived