Innovative Marine Aquariums

Jebao RW-4

rocksmom

Just installed my RW-4 in my Nuvo 16, and Im very happy with the product; especially given its price tag.
The install took less than 5 min, and thats primarily due to tinkering with the placement, which Im still messing with. I have a 1.5" sand bed, and even at its highest level.. Im not making a sandstorm; although the initial 10-20 minutes did kick up loose sediment that was on the rock scape and sand.

Currently running with settings at W1 - lowest speed setting and 50% position Fast/Slow.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm currently running a RW-4 on my CAD 34g Mini. I have it on W2 at about 40% power and it is a good fit for water movement. The only issue I am having is it doesn't seem to want to stay in night mode. Anyone else experience this or have any ideas?

With regards to "Night Mode": this functioned as it said it would. Make sure you don't have any other direct light sources that will throw off the Light Sensor at the upper left on the control module.

cchsoracle - when you mentioned "Night Mode" it reminded me of the only issue I have with this particular unit. In this mode, I'd like the option for the pump to completely turn off at night, and not just to the lowest possible setting.

Out of curiosity, how low could u dial it down. I saw 100gph, but I've read people saying these are still strong. Looking for a more controllable option for a 8 gallon display fuge currently using a koralia nano

I feel that you wouldnt be able to run on many of the modes other than W1 (low speed), H mode low speed. I have found that with slight adjustments, that I was able to angle the flow direction so that I was able to increase PH speeds, or even give it up to ELSE MODE.

IMO, you might be better served by upgrading your RP to something like a MJ1200, or Sicce 1.5, with addition to a spin stream, and that should cover your 8G easy (for all corals), and save you on having PH's in your display tank. Just my .02

I feel that you wouldnt be able to run on many of the modes other than W1 (low speed), H mode low speed. I have found that with slight adjustments, that I was able to angle the flow direction so that I was able to increase PH speeds, or even give it up to ELSE MODE.

IMO, you might be better served by upgrading your RP to something like a MJ1200, or Sicce 1.5, with addition to a spin stream, and that should cover your 8G easy (for all corals), and save you on having PH's in your display tank. Just my .02

Thanks. My return pump is actually plenty strong but its valved down on the fuge. The rw4 would of been just for circulation

Hey Guys,

Read through the thread and didnt see anybody with my exact tank. Anybody using a RW with a NUVO 40 gallon? I am thinking about getting 1 RW-4 to start. Would this be enough? At the moment I am just using the stock return pump with 2 spin streams.

Also, is anybody using the RW pump with an Apex controller? Does it require the VDM module? Any other modifications? I read a ton about Reef Angel wires and DIY, but that may be outdated now that they have this new RW pump.

Thanks!

Hey Guys,

Read through the thread and didnt see anybody with my exact tank. Anybody using a RW with a NUVO 40 gallon? I am thinking about getting 1 RW-4 to start. Would this be enough? At the moment I am just using the stock return pump with 2 spin streams.

Also, is anybody using the RW pump with an Apex controller? Does it require the VDM module? Any other modifications? I read a ton about Reef Angel wires and DIY, but that may be outdated now that they have this new RW pump.

Thanks!

I think you would want two, especially with a big cube like that. I have mine right now in a 20 long frag tank, so it's mostly open and no sand, but I still think anything bigger would require two.

I think you would want two, especially with a big cube like that. I have mine right now in a 20 long frag tank, so it's mostly open and no sand, but I still think anything bigger would require two.

Thanks for the input. Would you suggest 2x RW-4 or 1x RW-8?

• 2 weeks later...

Also, is anybody using the RW pump with an Apex controller? Does it require the VDM module?

I'm using the older WP with an Apex. The directions indicate the RWs are supported as well. Yes- you need a VDM unless you have the Apex model with the built-in variable speed port. I love the control you get with the Apex..

Hey Frank,

I bought a cable from a fellow reefer on this forum (actually think you may have picked up the same one). I have the Apex Gold with the built -in variable speed ports. How do you have your pump programmed to produce the waves you want?

These are the setting I'm using. I played with the max and min intensity and the on and off times. When you get into the sub-second time cycles, you get some interesting wave effects. With the right settings, the waves can top the tank..

I also found that if the intensity drops below 30%, the pump stops (especially if it hasn't been cleaned lately) I'm getting some good 'sway' on the softies and everything is growing like crazy.

It's amazing the flexibility you have with this setup.

[ VS_WP_10_L ] ( 4_1 )
Program Type: Advanced
Display Icon: Fan
Program:
If Time 09:01 to 11:00 Then P_DskDwn
If Time 11:01 to 19:00 Then P_Wave1
If Time 19:01 to 20:00 Then P_DskDwn
If Time 20:01 to 09:00 Then P_Night
If FeedA 015 Then OFF
If FeedB 015 Then OFF
If FeedC 015 Then OFF
If FeedD 015 Then OFF
[ VS_WP_10_R ] ( 4_2 )
Program Type: Advanced
Display Icon: Fan
Program:
If Time 09:01 to 11:00 Then P_DskDwn
If Time 11:01 to 19:00 Then P_Wave1
If Time 19:01 to 20:00 Then P_DskDwn
If Time 20:01 to 09:00 Then P_Night
If FeedA 015 Then OFF
If FeedB 015 Then OFF
If FeedC 015 Then OFF
If FeedD 015 Then OFF
[ P_Wave1 ] ( PF10 )
Type: Pump
Synchronize: Enable
Divide By 10: Enable
Initial Off Time: 0
On Time: 8
Off Time: 6
Minimum Intensity: 0
Maximum Intensity: 50
[ P_Night ] ( PF11 )
Synchronize: Disable
Divide By 10: Disable
On Time: 3
Off Time: 4
Minimum Intensity: 30
Maximum Intensity: 35
[ P_DskDwn ] ( PF12 )
On Time: 7
Off Time: 4
Maximum Intensity: 30
[ P_Wave2 ] ( PF13 )
[ P_Wave3 ] ( PF14 )

Would you guys think a pair of RW4's, an MP-10 or an RW8 would be best for Ann IM 30L? I'd like to get a tank built as a clone of the 30L. Display size would be 36"x11"x13".

Would you guys think a pair of RW4's, an MP-10 or an RW8 would be best for Ann IM 30L? I'd like to get a tank built as a clone of the 30L. Display size would be 36"x11"x13".

I would always go with two pumps instead of one. I think the rw4s are more than enough

CoolNameGoesHere

I know this is a review thread, but I saw people asking which pump for XXX tank, but didn't see one of those for a 60gal cube (24x24x24). So, I'm throwing my tank into the ring.

I already have an mp20 (yes, an mp20 that's still chugging quietly along) and my return for flow. It's not enough flow so I got an mp10 waiting to go in, but haven't added it yet.

So, should I ditch the mp10 for 2 rw-4s for a 60cube? or 1 rw-4 AND 1 rw-8? or just 1 rw-8?? Thanks.

I know this is a review thread, but I saw people asking which pump for XXX tank, but didn't see one of those for a 60gal cube (24x24x24). So, I'm throwing my tank into the ring.

I already have an mp20 (yes, an mp20 that's still chugging quietly along) and my return for flow. It's not enough flow so I got an mp10 waiting to go in, but haven't added it yet.

So, should I ditch the mp10 for 2 rw-4s for a 60cube? or 1 rw-4 AND 1 rw-8? or just 1 rw-8?? Thanks.

IMO two smaller ones are better in a cube. When we had a 18" cube it was very difficult to get good flow with just one.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't had time to mess with it since, but this weekend I was using the rw-4 to mix saltwater and it would randomly stop working. Disconnecting and reconnecting the power didn't seem to have any affect. Neither did trying to manually start it (ie poking it). When it would come on it seemed fine so I don't think it has salt buildup or anything. It had been rinsed when it was removed from my frag tank. Next step will be soaking it with some vinegar, but I don't have any right now.

Got the rw 4 a few days ago and it is humming along in my tank. Unit is very small and functions on all different modes and is pretty strong but not anything crazy and overpowering like I thought it would or might be... Currently have it running in else mode right now and cannot tell if it is adjustable or not in that mode.

Will probably run in else mode and or w2 at about 3/4 speed from what I have seen and messed with so far. I don't think I would want to run it in W1, not a big fan of the wave effect and if it is turning completely off and on all the time the unit will no doubt wear out faster...

Mine does make a noticeable hum when it ramps up to speed especially the stronger modes and higher flows... Overall not terrible as far as sound. Really hasn't blown any sand at all but I have it on the side pointed slightly up and aimed into the return of my ac 70.

Overall great little controllable pump and about the size of a koralia nano 240.

Tank it is in is a twenty high with an ac 70 and a hob cpr fuge. So around 400 gph without the rw 4.

Just my two cents!

Interested to hear more feedback about your thoughts on settings etc, for the people that have these pumps.

I got mine working again. I did a vinegar soak, which didn't seem to do anything. Opened up the controller to see if the wires from the controller to the powerhead had come loose (nope). Finally I ended up just manually spinning it for awhile and was finally able to get it to work. It felt like something was binding and it eventually came loose. It's running now in my 3g on the lowest setting of else mode. Here's a video I also posted in my thread so you guys can see the flow in such a small tank.

I got mine working again. I did a vinegar soak, which didn't seem to do anything. Opened up the controller to see if the wires from the controller to the powerhead had come loose (nope). Finally I ended up just manually spinning it for awhile and was finally able to get it to work. It felt like something was binding and it eventually came loose. It's running now in my 3g on the lowest setting of else mode. Here's a video I also posted in my thread so you guys can see the flow in such a small tank.

How do you adjust the flow on else mode? I have messed with mine and not noticed a difference in flow in else mode based on the knob control or the speed control (number of lights). Mine just seems to do the same type flow and random regardless of setting, which is fine in my tank but feel like it would blow out a 3 gallon. Thanks! Great video too!

I just have it on the lowest speed setting, aka one light. Maybe it is harder to tell the difference on a larger tank, but I could definitely tell in this one. I couldn't go higher than like three or four, It looked like the water was going to fly out of the tank. As it is I lowered the water level some.

From my understanding (I think it was posted earlier in the thread) the knob adjusts how fast or slow the pattern changes, not the flow itself.

Archived