Pod Your Reef

Dawn's seahorse garden. Farewell 36g bowfront!

vlangel

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So Adam looks ready to pop (again) and Eve is pretty stout herself. I have learned that she times ripening eggs so that they are ready the same day Adam will deliver. He delivers in the morning, they court all afternoon and he is pregnant again by evening! Where's the down time in that system?

So I saw an act of annoyance in the seahorse tank for the first time. DeVil, who was definitely being a devil was hounding Eve in what I perceive to be harrassment. She seemed disgusted and just shook him off of her. Then Eve's mate, Adam moved in and appeared to be giving the insolent boy a talkin' to. When Adam finished he whacked DeVil with his head. At least temporarily that seems to have put DeVil in his place.

That kind of behaviour is getting me thinking of selling off my stinging, devouring corals in the bowfront and replacing them with all gorgonians. I think I could keep the midas blenny and royal gramma and move DeVil and el Diablo into that tank. What is holding me back is Baby, the clown fish I raised. Clownfish are not good tank mates for seahorses. I have had Baby about 6 years so I am pretty attached.

Adam is so pregnant! Summer is coming and I do not want to be tied down with raising baby seahorses. I emailed the lfs owner who bought my last babies to see if he wanted to try his hand at raising fry. He may have them for free but he needs to come get them. He replied yes so last night I broke out the bb hatcheries, sterilized them and set one up. He comes from a couple hours away so I figure I might need to keep the fry a few days before he can come. I am ok with that.

Apparently I didn't make arrangements and preparation for Adam's forthcoming fry a moment too soon. I came home from volunteer landscaping for almost 4 hours and I notice Adam and Eve are dancing. "That's strange," I think to myself, "he's still pregnant!". Next thing I know he starts twitching and shaking and BABOOM!...a bunch of babies shoot out of his pouch. I had just turned off the return pump so as I get buckets ready to syphon out his prodigy he continues to shoot, squirting and convulse baby seahorses into the tank. I am guessing that this is his biggest brood to date as there must be over 100 and I can not be sure some were not delivered before I got home. Anyway, my lfs guy will be over tonight to get them. I hope he can raise some of them.☺

Ha ha, I meant Adam's offsping...is the word progeny? Anyway I did not mean prodigy, (of course who knows, one of them might be???).

The fry are on their way to their new home. Best of luck to them and to Rick who is embarking on raising them. He also took DeVil and el Diablo. It was a little sad but there is a sense of relief as well.

I was a little worried that Adam and Eve might miss DeVil and el Diablo but as I turned on the moonlight LEDs this morning they appear relaxed and at peace. Perhaps it's a little like how Dave and I feel about being empty nesters! Satisfied in a bittersweet way....

Adam has been following Eve around all day holding tails. If I didn't know better I'd think he feels, "good riddance"about his kids!

I will be doing a 10g WC today, (although it might be slow as I developed bronchitis as a result of paint fumes causing a chemical burn to my lungs). Now that the tank is back down to just the recommended 2 seahorses per 30 gallons, I am thinking that 2 10g WCs a week should be more than plenty.

Yea, and avoid paint fumes!

That was not one of the brightest things I ever did but I needed the floor done to have a 2nd kitchen for a guest family that will be spending the summer with us. Bronchitis was good news because with the chest pain and feeling of an 'elephant' on my chest I was thinking blockage of an artery. It was a relief to hear that it was nothing serious.

I did a 10g WC yesterday and today. Yesterday my nitrates were 10-20. With just Adam and Eve in the tank I am going to work the next couple of week trying to reduce them to 10 and under. If I can't then maybe it is time to change out the DSB in the bowfront which is 10 years old.

This morning I found what I hope is a good surprise. I was getting ready to do my water change when I noticed the skimmer bubbles were down about 6" of where they normally were. My first thought was, "surely the skimmer pump isn't whacked already!" However as I turned the adjustment the bubbles and foam adjusted so I am left to assume that 2 less seahorses are putting a whole lot less dissolved organics in the water column. Woo hoo, maybe I will get those nitrates down eventually!

Everybody and everything seem to be doing well in the tanks. I am settling into a routine of doing a 5g water change Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. Today I gravel vaccumed the sand in the seahorse tank and pulled very little out so apparently sifting through the sand once a month, the cucumber and Nassarius snails is getting the job done.

Archived