Cultivated Reef

Dawn's seahorse garden. Farewell 36g bowfront!

vlangel

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The ponies really look good. I hope you have success with them as well as the pipefish! Keep us updated.
I hope so too. I have been reading incessantly everything I can get on seahorses and pipefish and have prepared accordingly. Healthy CB animals is a great start!

AWESOME!!! Worth the wait!!!!
Definitely!!!!
Such cuties, congrats! Now we need video ASAP!!! ;)

I'll do a video when I move them to the seahorse DT. Then I can show how the tank has grown out and also showcase the pipefish.

The ponies have adjusted wonderfully so I am moving them tomorrow. I've heard from a couple seahorse keepers that agree with me that I have a boy and a girl, their names are Adam and Eve. My husband says my tank is like the garden of Eden, ( which is sweet of him).

I am concerned about the pipefish though. They both swim in the same front corner and I have not seen them eat. The tank is literally crawling with pods but they never hunt them. They are suppose to be trained on frozen mysis but I can't seem to interest them in that either. Maybe some of the enriched ghost shrimp I got for Adam and Eve will entice them? Not sure what to do. They appear healthy in every other way.

The ponies have adjusted wonderfully so I am moving them tomorrow. I've heard from a couple seahorse keepers that agree with me that I have a boy and a girl, their names are Adam and Eve. My husband says my tank is like the garden of Eden, ( which is sweet of him). I am concerned about the pipefish though. They both swim in the same front corner and I have not seen them eat. The tank is literally crawling with pods but they never hunt them. They are suppose to be trained on frozen mysis but I can't seem to interest them in that either. Maybe some of the enriched ghost shrimp I got for Adam and Eve will entice them? Not sure what to do. They appear healthy in every other way.

Glad to hear the ponies are doing so well! For the pipes, you could try baby brine shrimp but if they're not going after pods that might not help, the jerky movement they make might be good though. I have tried many products at this point and what my pipe eats is Ova (all gone), mysis, cyclopeeze and baby brine. I mix a bunch of stuff in the water column so she will eat some frozen with the live brine. When you broadcast feed for the pipes you can kind of swirl the water around or have a really weak pump going to keep the food in the water column as they will not touch it once it reaches the bottom. And definitely try the ghost shrimp. Hopefully they just need some time to adjust.

Glad to hear the ponies are doing so well! For the pipes, you could try baby brine shrimp but if they're not going after pods that might not help, the jerky movement they make might be good though. I have tried many products at this point and what my pipe eats is Ova (all gone), mysis, cyclopeeze and baby brine. I mix a bunch of stuff in the water column so she will eat some frozen with the live brine. When you broadcast feed for the pipes you can kind of swirl the water around or have a really weak pump going to keep the food in the water column as they will not touch it once it reaches the bottom. And definitely try the ghost shrimp. Hopefully they just need some time to adjust.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have a bb hatchery from when I raised baby clownfish. I also have frozen cyclopese and tomorrow I had planned to make a trip to my LFS for adult brine to gut load with supplement so I will try all those. Its only been a day and a half so I'm not feeling desperate yet.

Well the pipes ate some enriched adult brine today. Ocean Rider's tech got back to me and told me that their CB pipefish eat pods in the water column but not on the bottom or sides of the tank. I didn't know that so that was some good info to learn. They will eat frozen mysis, (chopped small), frozen bb, and frozen cyclopese. Newly hatched bb might be better from the standpoint that it doesn't pollute the tank and is good for the coral too.

I tried to post a video and just couldn't figure it out, ( very frustrating as I did it once before. Maybe I have used up too much of my storage space?). Any way sorry. Will just need to take some good pics!

Well the pipes ate some enriched adult brine today. Ocean Rider's tech got back to me and told me that their CB pipefish eat pods in the water column but not on the bottom or sides of the tank. I didn't know that so that was some good info to learn. They will eat frozen mysis, (chopped small), frozen bb, and frozen cyclopese. Newly hatched bb might be better from the standpoint that it doesn't pollute the tank and is good for the coral too. I tried to post a video and just couldn't figure it out, ( very frustrating as I did it once before. Maybe I have used up too much of my storage space?). Any way sorry. Will just need to take some good pics!

Glad to hear the pipes are eating :)

You could also try Ocean Nutrition Instant Baby Brine Shrimp which are non-live BBS in a jar that you refrigerate after opening. I mix that with the live BBS. Also just got H20 Life Mini Mysis but you can accomplish the same thing by chopping larger mysis.

I think the easiest way to post video is to upload to Youtube and paste the URL into your post, that's what I do anyway.

Glad to hear the pipes are eating :)

You could also try Ocean Nutrition Instant Baby Brine Shrimp which are non-live BBS in a jar that you refrigerate after opening. I mix that with the live BBS. Also just got H20 Life Mini Mysis but you can accomplish the same thing by chopping larger mysis.

I think the easiest way to post video is to upload to Youtube and paste the URL into your post, that's what I do anyway.

I already have my video uploaded on YouTube but when I hit more reply options it doesn't give me the option of pasting the URL. That's why I am thinking perhaps I have used up too much storage space.

O man, I am going to get an ulcer over worrying about the seahorses and pipefish! First the pipefish wouldn't eat and then Eve, my female seahorse was acting lethargic and not eating well. I have made 2 trips to 2 different LFS to buy live brine to enrich and entice my new pets! Finally this afternoon everybody ate well. It was enriched adult brine but I will keep offering the frozen mysis in the morning when they are the hungriest. I sure hope I settle down and relax a bit about my pony corral.

A plus for visiting a different LFS is I came home with 4 coral frags and a ball of red macro algae. Everything is acclimating now. It will be fun placing them.

I already have my video uploaded on YouTube but when I hit more reply options it doesn't give me the option of pasting the URL. That's why I am thinking perhaps I have used up too much storage space.

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't think it would be about storage space because the video is not taking up space on nano-reef's servers as it is hosted through Youtube. I don't think you need to do it through the "more reply options", you can just cut and paste the URL like you would any text. Sorry if I'm missing something, just trying to be helpful and want to see your video. ;)

O thanks Simone, I didn't know it could be cut and pasted right where I post the text. I'm a bit of a bucket head when it comes to technology, ha ha. So I guess it was me who was missing something! I will try that when I go into the computer room. I don't know how to do anything like that with my tablet.

Wait just a second now. Before I watch the rest of the video, how did you get that into so darn smooth? :D

-or- for fans of the old old SCTV ... is that a helicopter shot? I said no helicopter shots!

.. back to the video.

Gorgeous tanks, especially the pony tank with all the algae. I've got a polyp rock where the polyps refuse to open. I wonder if they actually prefer colder temps.

Wait just a second now. Before I watch the rest of the video, how did you get that into so darn smooth? :D -or- for fans of the old old SCTV ... is that a helicopter shot? I said no helicopter shots! .. back to the video.
I think it is smooth because YouTube asked me if I wanted them to make it less shakey so I said yes.Mark, I am showing more of my ignorance but what is SCTV and what is a helicopter shot?I love all the color of the macros in the seahorse tank. It looks so lush and alive. It makes the bowfront look a little boring and barren.

I think it is smooth because YouTube asked me if I wanted them to make it less shakey so I said yes.Mark, I am showing more of my ignorance but what is SCTV and what is a helicopter shot?I love all the color of the macros in the seahorse tank. It looks so lush and alive. It makes the bowfront look a little boring and barren.
Thanks Mark for all the kind words!

OK, I looked up SCTV. I guess I was too busy watching British TV to have time for Canadien TV, ha ha. Back in those days I am ashamed to admit it but I watched Benny Hill and Month Python. I'm guessing SCTV had a spoof about helicopter shots????

OK, I looked up SCTV. I guess I was too busy watching British TV to have time for Canadien TV, ha ha. Back in those days I am ashamed to admit it but I watched Benny Hill and Month Python. I'm guessing SCTV had a spoof about helicopter shots????

I was a big John Candy fan and on Saturday nights, way back in the 70's, my parents unwisely let me stay up to watch Saturday Night Live and then SCTV. Second City produced many of the greatest comedians of that era, and many went on to SNL. John Candy played Johnny Larue, a flamboyant big production loving TV host who always ticked off his producers by spending too much money on the production. So as his show ends you first see what appears to be a crane shot, smooth zoomout, but it soon becomes obvious it's a helicopter shot. :D I guess you had to be there, but whenever I see smooth camera work I think of that scene.

I was a big John Candy fan and on Saturday nights, way back in the 70's, my parents unwisely let me stay up to watch Saturday Night Live and then SCTV. Second City produced many of the greatest comedians of that era, and many went on to SNL. John Candy played Johnny Larue, a flamboyant big production loving TV host who always ticked off his producers by spending too much money on the production. So as his show ends you first see what appears to be a crane shot, smooth zoomout, but it soon becomes obvious it's a helicopter shot. :D I guess you had to be there, but whenever I see smooth camera work I think of that scene.

Ha ha, that's funny! I watched a little SNL in college but of course that was in the days when you had to go down to the lobby to watch TV and I just never got into it much. Too many other things to do on campus on a Saturday night.

Alright Simone, I think I did it! Maybe you can teach an old dog a new trick or two!

Wow that was definitely worth the wait! What a pony paradise!!! :wub:

Love all your macros, especially that red one that is shaped like a sea fan. What is that?

I wish I could have more macros but my tail spot blenny has eaten most of the ones I've bought, silly silly blenny. :angry:

Wow that was definitely worth the wait! What a pony paradise!!! :wub:

Love all your macros, especially that red one that is shaped like a sea fan. What is that?

I wish I could have more macros but my tail spot blenny has eaten most of the ones I've bought, silly silly blenny. :angry:

Silly blenny, well what he does in bad behavior I am sure he makes up in personality!

Thanks again Simone for helping me post the video. I don't know what that red macro is. My LFS had it in their reef display attached to a mushroom rock. I bought the mushroom just to get the macro but it is rather flowy and such a striking deep red.

Tonight the ponies are side by side and Adam is the prettiest creamy color with dark points, (like a Siamese cat). I guess that is what Eve does to him!

I think Adam discovered his soul mate,(not that there are any other options to choose from). He is following Eve all around, nuzzling her and in general just invading her space. I'm not sure how Eve feels about it but I think its adorable!

Archived