Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Dawn's seahorse garden. Farewell 36g bowfront!

vlangel

Baby is going to love his new home!!!

I had some extra mesh so I laid that on the 12 and put some stuff on the ends of the tank to hold it down. It looks funny but now I'm paranoid so I need to get the frame for the mesh stat!

I also have extra mesh but like you I need to get the frame. Baby does seem to like it, he settled right in as did his roommates the gobies.
  • Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

20160521_131540_zpsitiq4mfw.jpg

Ok, Baby is now protected from himself, (in case he gets an inkling to take a leap)he wont end up being fish jerky.

20160521_131735_zps2wnnbukv.jpg

As you can see he has a bit more swimming room too. I think eventually I will order a Coralife mini T5 fixture and then I could have any coral I want in that tank.

20160521_131540_zpsitiq4mfw.jpg

Ok, Baby is now protected from himself, (in case he gets an inkling to take a leap)he wont end up being fish jerky.

20160521_131735_zps2wnnbukv.jpg

As you can see he has a bit more swimming room too. I think eventually I will order a Coralife mini T5 fixture and then I could have any coral I want in that tank.

...and just like that you have another reef tank! It's funny how quick it can happen!

...and just like that you have another reef tank! It's funny how quick it can happen!

Ha ha, so true. Although technically all I did was swap Baby out of his 5.5g and moved him into a 10g. The filter is the same, the rocks and coral are the same, (although I did get the conch with the mushrooms out of my seahorse sump)and so far the lights are the same although now I am thinking upgrade on the lights. It all adds up to more money, doesn't it? LOL

20160524_080232_zpsr0n1nghw.jpg

This is my low tech grow out feeder/macro tank. It has been excellant for growing macro but my feeder ghost shrimp although very healthy were not proliferating. My guess is the parents were eating their babies :-(

So yesterday I netted the ghost shrimp and moved them to another tank and seeded this feeder/macro tank with amphipods in hopes that they will breed and reproduce in there. If they are successfully cultured in this tank I will net some and try to seed the refugium of the seahorse tank with them as well.

I think right now my seahorse tank is too clean to sustain them. I have noticed a drastic reduction in micro stars since I increased my water change schedule. My skimmer is overkill for my size tank also, (rated 180 gallons on my 50 gallon system). For that reason I think I need to very slowly increase the amount of food to the tank to increase the tank's biological filtering capacity. My coral should like that. Before I do that I would like to get my UV sterilizer back online to help control bacteria for the seahorse's protection.

Baby seems to like his new 10g aBode. He swims out in the open more than he ever has. Also the 4 little freebie gobies that came with the feeder shrimp are the cutest little creatures. They have little tunnels everywhere under the rock work and they are constantly perching on something. Baby pays no attention to them at all.

Baby seems to like his new 10g aBode. He swims out in the open more than he ever has. Also the 4 little freebie gobies that came with the feeder shrimp are the cutest little creatures. They have little tunnels everywhere under the rock work and they are constantly perching on something. Baby pays no attention to them at all.

Those gobies sound neat, I would love to see more pictures of the 10, looks like a neat tank. I loved this old featured reef from 2008. :)

http://www.nano-reef.com/featured/_/2008/tashayar-r12

Those gobies sound neat, I would love to see more pictures of the 10, looks like a neat tank. I loved this old featured reef from 2008. :)

http://www.nano-reef.com/featured/_/2008/tashayar-r12

That is a beautiful tank. I would have to upgrade my light fixture to do anything like that. Right now with the ponies in the other tank I just want easy!

I will try and get more pics of the 10g however or maybe even a video.

Those gobies :wub:

Nice video! And Baby looks very happy.

And to think that they (the gobies) were freebies. Maybe I will get some more when I order more feeder shrimp in a week or so.

Just for you, Mark!

Awesome, thanks Dawn. :) Those gobies really look like fun, hopefully they are long lived.

where are you getting these feeders? I'm setting up a frogfish tank but occasional extra creatures sound cool :rolleyes:

My husband orders saltwater ghost shrimp on ebay for me and they come with them.

Awesome, thanks Dawn. :) Those gobies really look like fun, hopefully they are long lived.

I have no idea what their life span is. I don't even know for sure what sort of goby they are. The shrimper thought they are blue cheek but unless they are juveniles I don't think that is what they are. They look like bridled gobies to me.

I love that video, Dawn! I have my glass shrimp from that guy still in my sump! They keep it pretty clean. Every so often I see a small one that somehow makes it up to the display through the return and the fish eat it.

Baby is such a pretty clown. What kind is he? Tomato? Those little gobies are so cute.

I love that video, Dawn! I have my glass shrimp from that guy still in my sump! They keep it pretty clean. Every so often I see a small one that somehow makes it up to the display through the return and the fish eat it.

Baby is such a pretty clown. What kind is he? Tomato? Those little gobies are so cute.

Thanks stella! Yes Baby is a tomato clown. I think since he has not really ever been with other clownfish other than his parents in my 90g reef, he has basically stayed in a juvenile stage. His mother had gotten quite large and an ugly reddish brown color but Baby is still fairly small for a tomato and he is still a pretty red. He is not territorial and mean either which is nice for me when I am working in the tank. His mother was a beast who bit me every chance she got. I actually put a fish net between her and I when I was working in her tank.

I am glad those glass shrimp are working out for you. Did you not get any gobies with your shipment?

2 weeks from tomorrow Dave and I will be starting our motorcycle roadtrip to California. We will be gone for 2 full weeks so I need to be extra vigilant with maintenance on the seahorse tank so its in tip top shape when we leave.

Thanks stella! Yes Baby is a tomato clown. I think since he has not really ever been with other clownfish other than his parents in my 90g reef, he has basically stayed in a juvenile stage. His mother had gotten quite large and an ugly reddish brown color but Baby is still fairly small for a tomato and he is still a pretty red. He is not territorial and mean either which is nice for me when I am working in the tank. His mother was a beast who bit me every chance she got. I actually put a fish net between her and I when I was working in her tank.

I am glad those glass shrimp are working out for you. Did you not get any gobies with your shipment?

2 weeks from tomorrow Dave and I will be starting our motorcycle roadtrip to California. We will be gone for 2 full weeks so I need to be extra vigilant with maintenance on the seahorse tank so its in tip top shape when we leave.

No gobies in my shipment! But I did get a pipefish. Unfortunately it only lasted a day or two. But it was really cool looking.

You're going to have so much fun on your trip! I can't wait to see the photos!!!

No gobies in my shipment! But I did get a pipefish. Unfortunately it only lasted a day or two. But it was really cool looking.

You're going to have so much fun on your trip! I can't wait to see the photos!!!

Thats too bad that there were not any gobies. My pipefish lasted a couple of months but I had enough glass shrimp that I think they were eating larvae shrimp. I wondered about hatching bbs but I knew I didn't need any more high maintenance pets.

Yes, I am getting excited about the motorcycle adventure. I will take pics and post them. Yesterday we were out on the bikes all afternoon and went about 200 miles. We need to get in riding shape!

Those gobies are so freakin cute! and so is Baby :P !!!

Yes, those gobies are adorable. I love Baby too. I raised about 7 clownfish but Baby is the only one I have left.

Sorry for not being around much. Dave and I have been dealing with retirment preparations which is crazy. Also we had a warm dry week here in PA and my garden and back yard were becoming a jungle. Finally I have been out on the motorcycle some to get in riding shape.

Yesterday I ordered live ghost shrimp for our trip. Today is going to rain off and on all day so I will do a deep clean on the pony garden. I have been running the HOB Prizm pro skimmer in the display as well as the SCA 302 in the sump to see how clean it kept things. After a week or more of not cleaning the glass the tank still looked pretty good so that is my plan for our vacation. Hopefully the coral wont starve but they are sturdy ones and the tank will probably only get 1 WC a week which should keep more nutrients in the water. To be honest I am not as stressed and anxious as I was last year and this trip is longer. I guess I realize that all one can do is their best and then go and enjoy vacation.

https://youtu.be/LMzFvDucNLc

Just for you, Mark!

Such a cute tank!

It's that time of year when being outside is just more fun :). I've been getting my yard/garden in order as well. Need to pick up a few more things for my garden as well. One of my tomato plants is going nuts. Like insanely out of control with growth omg! I think the soil in the garden is just perfect. It's full of earthworms. The plants/vegetables are certainly showing their happiness this year :).

Your vacation sounds like fun!!!! I love road trips and I imagine being on a motorcycle is even more thrilling as you are more a part of your surroundings than sitting in a car :).

I'm so behind! So much awesome stuff going on in here! The seahorse tank is looking great and the seahorses look so happy and healthy. I love how crisp and clean that last FTS looked. Wow!

That was a fast upgrade for Baby! You're like me, you make the decision and then just do it fast. Why wait right? That looks like a great size tank for Baby. I'm sure he's thrilled with having more swimming space.

Retirement and vacation! How exciting! I'm sure that involves a lot of planning and logistics, but that's so wonderful! I hope you have a great vacation!

Archived