inTank Media Baskets

Dawn's seahorse garden. Farewell 36g bowfront!

vlangel

Congrats!!

Every time I come in here I'm tempted to try seahorses... I think I'll wait until I have many more years under my belt, though!

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats!!

Every time I come in here I'm tempted to try seahorses... I think I'll wait until I have many more years under my belt, though!

Thanks! I will be happy to help when you are ready.

Ahhhhh yea congrats on TOTM!!

Yep I feel honored! Thanks!

Yep I feel honored! Thanks!

Bout time you got it, your horses are beautiful and your maintenance with them is inspiring. Especially when you raised some of their babies. Really jealous, love horses.

Bout time you got it, your horses are beautiful and your maintenance with them is inspiring. Especially when you raised some of their babies. Really jealous, love horses.

Maybe someday you will be in a position to set up your seahorse tank? And in the meantime your own tank is cool.

Yay congrats!! Well deserved to someone so dedicated! Now you can tell the folks at monterey bay aquarium that you got TOTM and offer some advice. :)

Ha ha, yes my hubby already told somebody there that. He's proud of me but I was embarassed. Have you seen the Monterey Bay aquarium, its fantastic? I was fascinated by the kelp forest. It is amazing. We are going back tomorrow.:-)

Maybe someday you will be in a position to set up your seahorse tank? And in the meantime your own tank is cool.

Ha ha, yes my hubby already told somebody there that. He's proud of me but I was embarassed. Have you seen the Monterey Bay aquarium, its fantastic? I was fascinated by the kelp forest. It is amazing. We are going back tomorrow.:-)

Sounds awesome! I've never been, although I visited the area 10 years ago, but I guess I wasn't a reefer back then. Will need to take the whole family one of these days! Take pics and enjoy! :)

Sounds awesome! I've never been, although I visited the area 10 years ago, but I guess I wasn't a reefer back then. Will need to take the whole family one of these days! Take pics and enjoy! :)

We took all our pics with the camera so I will have to wait until we get home before I post pics! It was very cool though. We spent 2 days and it was nice.

We took all our pics with the camera so I will have to wait until we get home before I post pics! It was very cool though. We spent 2 days and it was nice.

I can't wait to see your photos!!!!

We just got home this evening so no pics of the vacation yet but I just wanted to let you all know that all is well with the seahorses! The glass had a film of green algae, there is bubble algae everywhere and I know that my alk. CA and Mag are probably all low but nothing I didn't expect. I have changed out 14 gallons of water already (7 gallons at a time with an hour in between)and did a guestimate dose of everything. I will give the tank an hour to circulate and then do another WC and then set it up to make new RO/DI overnight. That should get the tank back on track more or less. A deep clean will happen in the next day or so.

Its great to get away but its good to be home!

natalia_la_loca

Congratulations ? I always breathed a sigh of relief when I came home to find my tanks hadn't imploded during vacations and business trips!

Congratulations I always breathed a sigh of relief when I came home to find my tanks hadn't imploded during vacations and business trips!

Ten four to that! Its a little stressful.

Thanks so much Snow_Phoenix! How are you feeling? I hope you are recovering?

Just call me Snow. :)

Yep, am slowly recovering. I'm also determined to shed off some excess weight that is detrimental to my health, so am trying to eat right and exercise as well. How have you been? The ponies doing all well?

Just call me Snow. :)

Yep, am slowly recovering. I'm also determined to shed off some excess weight that is detrimental to my health, so am trying to eat right and exercise as well. How have you been? The ponies doing all well?

That is great to hear that you are moving in the right direction health wise. And I hear you about making some positive changes about eating right and exercising. I also could stand to lose some weight and plan to do the same. I am well though.

The ponies are great. I just got back from a week's vacation and was a little nervous about the tank. A good friend fed the ponies while I was gone but she is not an aquarist and I wasn't sure if something was off if she would recognise it. Everything worked perfectly however and the ponies were in fine shape when I got home. They were doing the courtship dance last night when I went to bed, ha ha!

That is great to hear that you are moving in the right direction health wise. And I hear you about making some positive changes about eating right and exercising. I also could stand to lose some weight and plan to do the same. I am well though.

The ponies are great. I just got back from a week's vacation and was a little nervous about the tank. A good friend fed the ponies while I was gone but she is not an aquarist and I wasn't sure if something was off if she would recognise it. Everything worked perfectly however and the ponies were in fine shape when I got home. They were doing the courtship dance last night when I went to bed, ha ha!

Thank you - it will take some time before I reach my optimal weight though. My muscles are mostly flab. Too much of a sedentary lifestyle can certainly ruin things.

Wow, congrats! Cheers to more babies on the way. :happy:

Thank you - it will take some time before I reach my optimal weight though. My muscles are mostly flab. Too much of a sedentary lifestyle can certainly ruin things.

Wow, congrats! Cheers to more babies on the way. :happy:

Yes, new babies would be something to celebrate!

I decided the tank needed more than just a cursory cleaning. One thing led to another and now the tank is a cloudy mess. Oops! I wished I had more RO/DI water to do a WC, but alas, I am still making it. The last time I stirred the tank up like this was when Adam got the pouch infection. I decided I better use the sanolife-mic F (probiotic that out competes some of the dangerous bacterias). Tomorrow morning I will have water and can do a WC then. At least everything is pruned and scrubbed!

Welcome home!!!! Glad to hear everything did well while you were gone :). How was the weather when you were there? I can't remember what it was like here last week LOL. I know it's summer going on now though. Not sure if it's as warm up north though.

Welcome home!!!! Glad to hear everything did well while you were gone :). How was the weather when you were there? I can't remember what it was like here last week LOL. I know it's summer going on now though. Not sure if it's as warm up north though.

Thanks Gena! It was really nice. A bit cool when we arrived last week (mid 60s) but this past Monday we were outside with our grandson in sleeveless shirts. It was pure blue sky and 75 or so. I had hoped to come home with a suntan or even a little burn but that didn't happen. Right now it is snowing here in Pittsburgh so back to reality, ha ha! Even at that it is good to be home.

100_3092_zpsae1x8byp.jpg

Finally some vacation pics!

100_3096_zpsz0nxwbkj.jpg

These are from Point Lobos at Monterey Bay

100_3104_zps50jomuzu.jpg

I really loved this shot!

100_3122_zpsparbjcge.jpg

Some harbor seals basking in the sun.

100_3138_zpsh8dbqann.jpg

This was one of my favorite exhibits at the Monterey Bay aquarium! The kelp forest.

100_3150_zps9keijia7.jpg

This is the seahorse tank. I was very surprised and shocked to see multiple stinging coral in the tank. Also there were different species of seahorses in there which is not recommended by experienced keepers. I kind of feel they are sending the wrong message to prospective seahorse keepers.

100_3153_zps33ohftvh.jpg

They had a lot of jelly fish displays and my hubby loved them all. This is one of them.

100_3163_zps90ve65fx.jpg

The Aquarium has an enormous open ocean display with giant blue fin tuna, hammerhead sharks among other big fish. However in with those big fish are a large school of sardines. It was fascinating watching them swim and switch directions as a school. Of course just like in the ocean it was important for individual fish not to get left behind!

I really loved the 2 days we spent at the Aquarium. I was quite surprised by how many aquatic creatures there are that I never even heard of! It was an eye opener.

Pics look amazing--gotta love the west coast! That kelp forest is definitely cool! thanks for sharing

New challenge for you: jelly tank!

O my goodness, Point Lobos was so beautiful! Breath taking actually. And yes, Dave said the same thing about a jelly tank! Aint gonna happen though...one high maintenance tank is enough for me, ha ha!

Archived