Cultivated Reef

Dawn's seahorse garden. Farewell 36g bowfront!

vlangel

Well as life would have it, I've brought back more than just souvenirs from Colombia! Most of our team that went to South America are experiencing a stomach bug and I am no exception. I only am able to manage the "absolutely must do tasks" and everything else will wait, including the seahorses. Its OK because I know that 'this too shall pass'. Alright that isn't really funny right now.

Oh no! The anthropologist in me is jealous, but the hypochondriac is not! I hope you feel better soon, Dawn. :unsure:

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey everyone, the seahorses have been ordered. Ocean Rider has not given me an arrival date yet but I imagine I will know soon. I also ordered 100ct order of feeder shrimp from Live Aquaria to help settle them in. I have a cycled 10g tank with LR and a little macro to house the shrimp until they are "called for dinner". Its all getting very exciting now!

Oh no! The anthropologist in me is jealous, but the hypochondriac is not! I hope you feel better soon, Dawn. :unsure:

O Evan, it was so cool. I went on a mission trip to the jungles of Brazil in 2002 and I've decided that I absolutely love South America. The food, the colors and the climate is wonderful. Although we are very blessed to have been born in the USA and I never take that for granted. This was my 4th mission trip and only my 1st sickness and it really wasn't too bad. I'm back to full strength now.

No, I don't pick them out but I can request certain characteristics and they will try to accommodate those. Things like colors, (although they warn you that the ponies can and often do change color), bold markings like stripes, blazes, saddles, active swimmers, interactive with their handlers, pregnant males, mated pairs and such. I ask for 2 active mature females under 1 year old with bold markings.

Exciting times, can't wait to see the horses.

Me too! I am so excited. Last night I enjoyed going to my LFS and buying "must have meds" for seahorses.

I'm very envious... I just finished this book, "The Lost City of Z," which talked of many experiences in the Amazon. I could rant forever about it, but it is written by David Grann, who has written articles for The New Yorker for many years.

http://www.davidgrann.com/books/the_lost_city_of_z/'>http://www.davidgrann.com/books/the_lost_city_of_z/

Thanks for the link, I may just have to check it out. When we were in Brazil it wasn't quite the amazon jungle, it was more like the foot hills of the jungle. We were building granite cabins so national people could enjoy a retreat from the city which was Cuiaba', (not sure of the spelling). It was great anyhow.

It's an excellent read!

And obviously, I'm excited for your Sea Horses!

No seahorses yet but the 100 feeder shrimp arrived. They are much smaller than I expected. I only filled their 5g tank half full or they would get lost.

Bummer! Ocean Rider's seahorses are on vacation so there won't be any shipments next week. My seahorses are scheduled to arrive Thurs. Oct 2nd! O well, I waited a whole summer, what is 2 weeks?

Well I got frustrated looking at only pods and peppermint shrimp in my seahorse tank so I ordered CB banded pipe fish from Ocean Rider. I think they should be here by the end of the week.

Well I got frustrated looking at only pods and peppermint shrimp in my seahorse tank so I ordered CB banded pipe fish from Ocean Rider. I think they should be here by the end of the week.

Oh exciting!!! Will they be a bonded pair? :wub:

I've been considering those for awhile but if my blue stripe lives and I can find her a mate will probably call 2 pipes enough lol.

I asked for a male/ female pair but not necessarily a mated pair. My tank is crawling with copepods which would be too small for the seahorses so I figured I might as well get pipe fish too.

Well the pipe fish are also on vacation at Ocean Rider, so no pipe fish either. I guess it'll feel like Christmas when everything arrives! Until then I will just have to keep counting pods. :-(

Oh man! I'd be going crazy. You're gonna have a unique tank, for sure, though. The anticipation is killing me, I can only imagine how you feel!
Its killing me too but in a way its been for the best. I came home from Colombia with that intestinal virus and it did a number on me. I am still not 100% and I want to be running on all cylinders when the ponies and pipes arrive.

They will be worth the wait I am sure!
Yes you are right, it will be worth the wait when they arrive!

Tonight I talked on the phone with Dan from Seahorse Source and he took the time to share a lot of helpful advise to a seahorse noobie. That really impressed me because I did not buy my ponies from him, I was only buying enrichment for their food. I plan to buy all my future ponies from him though!

THEY'RE HERE! Everybody arrived in very good shape and appear to be adjusting well. At the advise of Dan from Seahorse Source I have acclimated the seahorses in my 10g QT. Shipping trauma can be very stressful, even on CB seahorses and most are more comfortable initially to a simple bb tank with no tank mates. The pipefish I put in the seahorse tank. One of them is much less active and I am a little concerned. Pics forthcoming in a day or so!

THEY'RE HERE! Everybody arrived in very good shape and appear to be adjusting well. At the advise of Dan from Seahorse Source I have acclimated the seahorses in my 10g QT. Shipping trauma can be very stressful, even on CB seahorses and most are more comfortable initially to a simple bb tank with no tank mates. The pipefish I put in the seahorse tank. One of them is much less active and I am a little concerned. Pics forthcoming in a day or so!

omgomgomg:happydance:

Wooooohoooo!

I hope the one pipefish pulls through!

The long awaited ponies have landed. I asked for 2 females but it sure looks like a stallion and mare to me. What do I know, I am a noobie when it comes to seahorses. They are adjusting well though and have already ate some live shrimp.

post-82793-0-10015800-1412268640_thumb.jpg

post-82793-0-47170400-1412268683_thumb.jpg

omgomgomg:happydance:

Wooooohoooo!

I hope the one pipefish pulls through!

The pipefish are both looking pretty good now that the actinics have come on. I haven't seen them hunting yet but its only been a few hours since they arrived from Hawaii. They probably have jet lag!

post-82793-0-63167000-1412271870_thumb.jpg

Archived