inTank Media Baskets

Dawn's seahorse garden. Farewell 36g bowfront!

vlangel

Its hard to see but the second pic is a snail with a bubble algae hat, (thats the one not to be outdone by his roommate with the ulva hat).

Ha!! I didn't notice that at first! Too funny!

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, for more ponies I would definitely recommend a much larger DSB. I honestly think that combined with a large skimmer would be your best bet for filtration to keep them happy. Your sump is in the basement, right, so you should be able to fit something larger, like a 40 breeder or so, you can make one section for the drain to come in and the skimmer, then go into a large section for the DSB, and then a smaller return section, wouldn't be too hard and cut glass is pretty cheap :)

I had around 50x turnover in my 40, and it wasn't enough to keep stuff from getting stuck under the rocks. I had to physically lift them up off the bottom and then it was much better. I would probably recommend a pair of Tunze 6040, though, as those you can point to blow only across the bottom to keep stuff moving off of it, and the ponies shouldn't be able to hitch on them and hurt themselves.

O wow, I had no idea that you had that sort of turnover. I will definitely have to rethink my powerhead choices.

Another consideration about my nutrients Ben, are my macros in the fuge. They are growing at an amazing rate, so much so that I prune often as in every week and a half or so. I know they are removing a fair share of nutrients out of the system.

My 25-30% weekly water changes also have an impact on nitrates. I made that an easy chore so that I was not tempted to scimp on them. Its foundational to successfully keeping ponies.

I run a skimmer rated for more than twice what my total volume will be so I am sure that helps too. I will try the system with my current sump system and see how it goes. If I find I am struggling to control nitrates I can build a new sump using a 40 breeder then pretty easy. I feel like I have a plan. :-)

I, for 1, can't wait to see this build :)

Sometimes I get jealous of other folks being able to get or build a new Reef.

I will have to live and love thru other folks' tanks :)

I know what you mean. I have felt that restlessness to do new builds also when I read what other folks are doing. A new build has that feeling of endless possibilities and promise. I am learning to be content in what I have mostly because everything 'new' becomes 'old hat' soon enough. The trick is to make it your favorite old hat!

I know what you mean. I have felt that restlessness to do new builds also when I read what other folks are doing. A new build has that feeling of endless possibilities and promise. I am learning to be content in what I have mostly because everything 'new' becomes 'old hat' soon enough. The trick is to make it your favorite old hat!

Very True!

If I weren't limited with space and $$$, Id like to give shar a FOWLR. In due time, maybe, but probably not likely.

Mostly because of the cash needed and I know she will say no. For now anyways ;)

Oh wow! This is happening fast I love it! I can't wait to see build photos. New builds are always so exciting omgomgomg:happydance:

I know, its crazy, isn't it? What happened was I read an article written by Alyssa on seahorses and it got me thinking of doing a bare bottom tank. I have always felt that would be healthier for the ponies but I don't really like the looks of bb unless its painted to look like sand. I was contemplating tearing my current tank down so I could paint the bottom but on a whim just peeked at some tanks that were 30" long. When I saw the 56g column and realized that I could keep the same equipment, put the tank in the same spot but keep 4-5 ponies, I got hooked! My hubby told me to go for it, (he loves the seahorses).

20160929_074859_zpsrsh6z8wz.jpg

When I planned to paint the bottom I forgot about the plastic center brace. Oops! I lifted it away from the glass as far as I dared and painted under it. I will paint on poster board and slide it under the glass where I could not reach with a brush. It won't be perfect but it will cover the black plastic brace and I think I can live with that.

I used the same textured paint that is on my livingroom walls. That way the tank should coordinate with the colors of our livingroom and the paint was a sandstone texture to hopefully simulate a sand bottom. Again if at any time I decide I hate the bb I can add sand and it will all be good.

20160929_074859_zpsrsh6z8wz.jpg

When I planned to paint the bottom I forgot about the plastic center brace. Oops! I lifted it away from the glass as far as I dared and painted under it. I will paint on poster board and slide it under the glass where I could not reach with a brush. It won't be perfect but it will cover the black plastic brace and I think I can live with that.

Hooray!

My 29 was bb and never had problems with crap getting stuck under rocks. Might be because i had a gyre. If you can lift ur rocks slightly off the glass or reduce how much sits on it then it will reduce areas that will trap junk. But itll be so much cleaner than having sand so its only for aesthetic reasons.

Looking forward to seeing the upgrade and more ponies

Cleanest looking sand I have ever seen! ;)

Yes it is, isn't it! It shouldn't get diatoms or cyano, and it wont trap detritus. I am looking forward to not stirring or vacuming it. Although I will need to syphon out excess food and pony manure now, ha ha!

My 29 was bb and never had problems with crap getting stuck under rocks. Might be because i had a gyre. If you can lift ur rocks slightly off the glass or reduce how much sits on it then it will reduce areas that will trap junk. But itll be so much cleaner than having sand so its only for aesthetic reasons.Looking forward to seeing the upgrade and more ponies

I would love to have the small gyre for this tank. Who knows, maybe down the road???

I am planning on lifting the 2 large rocks with small pillar rocks under them because I thought that would help too. Like you said, it will be cleaner regardless.

Now that I have started I am really stoked for this tank.

20160929_133339_zpsacb8rdnf.jpg

Ok, the next step for my display tank is both terrifying and exhilarating! I plan to paint the back wall to simulate a twilight, misty aqua scene. I could not find my airbrush from college years so I am going to use aerosol paints using airbrush techniques. It terrifying because I was merely adequate and competent with an airbrush, and that was 35 years ago! I do have major motivation because of the subject matter and wildlife was my specialty.

20160929_133408_zpsnehj9qbf.jpg

What do you all think?

That is a likeness of Adam in case you didn't know. The likeness would be subtle in the misty twilight backround, a shadow really.

I need encouragement to go through with this because I am nervous. However if you guys think it would be really cool then I think I should try it.

I Really like it!! U should definitely do this in Honor of Adam :)

I will bet it will look all shades of Awesome :)

I hope so A. The visual I have in my mind is very cool so lets hope I can pull it off!

Polarcollision

Wow! Congrats on the new build. Very exciting!!

You know I'm always dreaming up ways to make husbandry easier, well, something popped into mind when I was reading your bare bottom thoughts. If there was a spray bar att he front of the tank, blowing detritus towards the back of the tank, you could make a flat and wide funnel to concentrate the detritus for easy cleanup. My very first tank was barebottom with a spray bar on the ground/back wall. It helped keep detritus out from under rocks to some degree, but it was still a challenge to syphon it all out. Just a thought - no worried if you think it's overkill! :-)

PS. I LOVE your drawing of Adam. And I'm sure you'll pull off the spray can airbrush. It's just paint, remember, and can always be removed until it's exactly what you want it to be. But I bet you get it on the first pass.

Wow! Congrats on the new build. Very exciting!!

You know I'm always dreaming up ways to make husbandry easier, well, something popped into mind when I was reading your bare bottom thoughts. If there was a spray bar att he front of the tank, blowing detritus towards the back of the tank, you could make a flat and wide funnel to concentrate the detritus for easy cleanup. My very first tank was barebottom with a spray bar on the ground/back wall. It helped keep detritus out from under rocks to some degree, but it was still a challenge to syphon it all out. Just a thought - no worried if you think it's overkill! :-)

PS. I LOVE your drawing of Adam. And I'm sure you'll pull off the spray can airbrush. It's just paint, remember, and can always be removed until it's exactly what you want it to be. But I bet you get it on the first pass.

Its funny that you mention the spraybar, Polar because I have been pondering that possibility as well. It would be easy to attach one to my rios. I was thinking of having it on the back wall, (mostly to be discreet) and blow everything forward however. Then I would just suck it out at the front. I already have rigid tubing with flex tubing for quick, keep my hands dry syphoning from when I was raising the baby seahorses.

Today starts the back wall. I need to cut some stencils of Adam first before any paint is applied. It will be interesting, that is for sure!

LOVE the look of that tank! It's cubey :). Plus can't wait to see your painting when it's finished!!!!!

Thanks Gena, yes it is a bit cubey. I hope my painting is worth seeing??? We will see.

20160930_130639_zpsjbsueieh.jpg

Well phase 1 of painting the back of the tank is done. Its pretty much what I was going for but I may have gotten it a bit too opaque for phase 2 to be what I want it to be. I think I can remedy that by gently using a stylus tool or small exacto blade to etch in the paint so I can bring out a little amount of detail.

Now I need a break as I always get stressed when I do art work and it needs to be right. If this is disasterous it is an expensive mistake, LOL. And remember I am doing it all in reverse, ahhg!

Archived