Pod Your Reef

Dawn's seahorse garden. Farewell 36g bowfront!

vlangel

20151020_194933_zpsjtwl83qm.jpg
Originally this thread was a 2 tank system but Oct 2015 I took down the 30g XH and consolidated into the 36g bowfront! The consolidation took place on page 44 with all the new tank specs on page 48.

Hi everyone, its been too hard for me to keep up 2 separate threads, especially since the 2 tanks are the same system. I've decided to combine the threads into one. I hope this simplifies things for all of us.

post-82793-0-84348300-1408577230_thumb.jpg

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today I switched the big koralia in the coral tank with a nano koralia in the seahorse tank. The nano koralia was inadequate for the tall tank, especially with the netting I have around it to protect pony tails from impellors. I worried I wouldn't have enough flow for the corals but they seem just fine and the clam actually likes this better. The big koralia blew on his mantle some. The flow in the seahorse tank seems much better if the koralia doesn't totally overpower the ponies. I won't know that until they come in Sept. So for now everyone is happy, including me.

I want to see some ponies riding around!!! :)

They have some really pretty yellow ones at Wet Pets eating frozen mysis been in there for weeks and look really healthy go get 2! ;)

I want to see some ponies riding around!!! :)

They have some really pretty yellow ones at Wet Pets eating frozen mysis been in there for weeks and look really healthy go get 2! ;)

O man, don't tempt me. I'd love to do that but I can't put it on my girl whose watching my mom in law to take care of my seahorses too while I'm away for 9 days. She doesn't know anything about fish tanks and I've automated as much as possible. Unfortunately with ponies eating mysis twice a day and messily at that the tank would need a WC and its just too complicated. I need to hold off til I get home, but wow, it is so tempting!!!! I'm sticking to the plan though.

Lol! Stronger than I am. I would be making a step by step process of what she needs to do! Lol!

She already has 2-3 pages of care instructions for Mom! LOL

Here's an update on the tanks since I got them turned around. The bowfront is emptier but everything in it looks to be in good health. Eventually I will add some more corals and fill it up some more. I wouldn't mind having a clam on the sandbed, or a lobo brain. The rock anemones intrigue me too.

post-82793-0-95434200-1408644589_thumb.jpg

post-82793-0-37058600-1408644630_thumb.jpg

post-82793-0-02087000-1408644661_thumb.jpg

post-82793-0-16420600-1408644691_thumb.jpg

post-82793-0-75908200-1408644704_thumb.jpg

post-82793-0-95013100-1408644882_thumb.jpg

I am especially pleased that the clam seems to have rebounded. Yesterday I saw it giving off wastes which it hadn't done in awhile. All's well that ends well!

Ever since I loaded the last set of pics, I can't load any more? Do I have to wait a certain amount of time before I'm allowed to load more???? This has never happened to me before.

I am confused, its telling me that I have exceeded my allotted disk space for attachments. I am not exactly sure what that means...is it referring to all the pics on all my threads or just this post?

I am confused, its telling me that I have exceeded my allotted disk space for attachments. I am not exactly sure what that means...is it referring to all the pics on all my threads or just this post?

Try a smaller picture size or posting one picture at a time. Are you using Flikr or Photobucket?

On photobucket get the IMG code for the picture you want to post and then paste it as text. I added spaces so you can see the code but if copied and pasted correctly will just post the image.

[ IMG ] http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac53/clownser/SG%2040B/EE5E9C1E-2196-4A0D-B983-1369F0F423C5.jpg [ /IMG ]

Thanks Dr Brain, that is great. I will definitely be looking in my tank to make sure none of those Dew drinking pony riders are in there. LOL!

Ok, I'm gonna try and post a pic of my new seahorse wall accent getting ready for the ponies's arrival here in a few weeks! Thank you Mark, I think it worked!

post-82793-0-93984400-1409171623_thumb.jpg

I can't wait to see Seahorses! I was looking at some today at my LFS. Good luck on your trip! Safe travels.

Thanks Evan! Yes, I can't wait to order my ponies when I get back. I will definitely be posting pic or video!

They deserve a video ;) and I think lots of people are anxious to see them in action, knowing you constructed and created the perfect environment for them! Its gonna look so cool.

They deserve a video ;) and I think lots of people are anxious to see them in action, knowing you constructed and created the perfect environment for them! Its gonna look so cool.

You are very kind - I hope they really like it and it suits them perfectly. OK, I will plan on a video once they settle in.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I am back from my mission trip to Colombia, SA! It was amazing and such a blessing to be a part of. Now that I am home and have found my tanks in great shape, I am starting to think about ordering my seahorses. Tomorrow I will check parameters and do a WC. If everything checks out I will order my Ocean Rider ponies tomorrow or Tuesday. I am so excited!!!

Well as life would have it, I've brought back more than just souvenirs from Colombia! Most of our team that went to South America are experiencing a stomach bug and I am no exception. I only am able to manage the "absolutely must do tasks" and everything else will wait, including the seahorses. Its OK because I know that 'this too shall pass'. Alright that isn't really funny right now.

Well as life would have it, I've brought back more than just souvenirs from Colombia! Most of our team that went to South America are experiencing a stomach bug and I am no exception. I only am able to manage the "absolutely must do tasks" and everything else will wait, including the seahorses. Its OK because I know that 'this too shall pass'. Alright that isn't really funny right now.

That sucks, hope you feel better soon. If it keeps on for more than a couple of days, you should go to the doctor to get tested for parasites like giardia. And remember to replenish your electrolytes so you don't get your blood chemistry out of wack. Sorry for the unsolicited medical advice; I just graduated nursing school.

That sucks, hope you feel better soon. If it keeps on for more than a couple of days, you should go to the doctor to get tested for parasites like giardia. And remember to replenish your electrolytes so you don't get your blood chemistry out of wack. Sorry for the unsolicited medical advice; I just graduated nursing school.

Thanks Simone and I appreciate the advice. I think I am turning the corner. I am enjoying my coffee this morning with toast and I took a shower and am dressed. Yesterday I couldn't even think of coffee and I never made it out of my jammies.

I am going to try and do the WC today and change out the carbon. If the parameters are pretty good then I plan to go ahead and order the seahorses.

Archived