Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Dawn's seahorse garden. Farewell 36g bowfront!

vlangel

And KB, talk about fat! He is a fat fish!!!

I was just in PA for the weekend, love the flowers and weather there. Besides the drizzle!

Tank looks great!

What part of PA? I love spring time here with so many colors, fragrant flowers and lots of greenery!

Thanks Harry, I am pretty happy with the tank.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HarryPotter

What part of PA? I love spring time here with so many colors, fragrant flowers and lots of greenery!

Philadelphia, PA. My family is from there, my parents moved to Florida about 20 years ago.

The whole environment there is awesome. Here in Florida it is tropical- huge flowering trees, palms, fruit trees, etc. The flowers in PA are great

Philadelphia, PA. My family is from there, my parents moved to Florida about 20 years ago.

The whole environment there is awesome. Here in Florida it is tropical- huge flowering trees, palms, fruit trees, etc. The flowers in PA are great

I am on the other side of PA near Pittsburgh. Philly gets a bit more influence from ocean currents than we do but I am sure the foliage and flowers are not much different. They might be slightly ahead of us as warm gulf stream currents speed up their season a bit..

I love FL too, especially in our crappy months like February. A friend of ours has a nice rental property in Orlando and we go down with them sometimes to help maintenance it.

2016-04-25%2020.25.18_zpshfbxnluj.jpg

As you can see Adam is lookin' fat and sassy. Abraham had to make an appearance too. He has gotten much bolder these days.2016-04-25%2020.26.53_zpsjhr4ed5a.jpg

The ponies hangin' out together. They love each other.20160425_201755_zpsgqnwatyb.jpg

This FTS was taken from a lower vantage point. I should always take it from there.

I am moving these pics to the new page.

It was a crazy weekend here. The gas company stopped in late Thursday afternoon and informed me that we had a gas leak near the house so they shut it off. I had been working on my pond and was up to my elbows in pond scum only to find out that there is no gas, therefore no hot water, no stove and no heat. As soon as they left I made a bee line for the shower before the hot water heater cooled off.

I got a plumber out Friday morning but it turned out that we needed an excavator and he wasn't available until Monday.

Nothing to do but make the best of it. We have a camping stove so I dug that out and we have electric heaters for night time when the temperature is still pretty cool. Bathing takes some creativity but it can be done so we are doing ok. Still I am hoping its resolved tomorrow.

Gosh, that's no fun! But I"m glad they realized you had a leak!

20160420_104105_zpstgyzx4mm.jpg

Spring time in PA is so beautiful. May is my favorite month but the rebirth in April is great too.

20160420_103658_zpsl4jr06cn.jpg

I dug this pond by hand in '07 and although every year it is a lot of work I love it!

20160420_103716_zpsgtls7fwk.jpg

I try to make my garden a haven for birds and wildlife.

20160420_103933_zpsyhfz5uru.jpg

Ok, its a haven for Dave and I as well!

O yeah,ignore the soccer mom van in the first pic. I have talked my hubby into letting me trade it in on a pickup truck which is much more in keeping with my personality. Actually I wanted a jeep but that wasn't very practical.

I missed a lot! Not sure how. This is amazing, Dawn!

Elizabeth94

Lovely garden you have there! My sister used to have a huge koi pond with a wooden bridge above it. Such a nice, peaceful place to hang out.

I absolutely love that full tank shot with the sea horses hanging out together. Super cute! They look fat and healthy. And so do those mushrooms! Cant believe how big those things are. My lfs has one of those giant hairy mushrooms. Its about 14" in diameter and it had to be placed in a separate tank because it ate a few fish. Pretty unbelievable.

Gosh, that's no fun! But I"m glad they realized you had a leak!

Me too! A house exploded from a gas leak just prior to us having ours dug up. That helped take some of the sting out of writing the check to pay for the repair, which entailed digging up the gas line, doing the repair and also having the A/C folks come out to disconnect and reconnect the A/C. It took all the money we just made on the sale of our motorcycles :-(. O well, easy come, easy go!

Thank you for the kind words about my garden! I have decided that reefing and gardening require basically the same skill set. Knowing what to keep and what to weed out and then doing it, ha ha!

Lovely garden you have there! My sister used to have a huge koi pond with a wooden bridge above it. Such a nice, peaceful place to hang out.

I absolutely love that full tank shot with the sea horses hanging out together. Super cute! They look fat and healthy. And so do those mushrooms! Cant believe how big those things are. My lfs has one of those giant hairy mushrooms. Its about 14" in diameter and it had to be placed in a separate tank because it ate a few fish. Pretty unbelievable.

Thanks for complimenting my garden. My pond is too small for a bridge but we sit on the patio where we can hear and see it and that is also peaceful. I bet your sister misses her pond?

I used to have Koi and shubunkin goldfish in the pond. I returned the koi when they were about 6 yrs old and 8" long. Unfortunately I kept the goldfish and a big ol' blue heron fished them out last year. I am afraid the same would happen to any replacements.

I love it when Adam and Eve hang out together too. They love hitching to that toadstool or halimeda growing next to it.

Those mushrooms although large are not the carnivorous ones or else I would worry about the seditary seahorses. I used to have some hairy mushrooms but I sold them when I got the seahorses.

Elizabeth94

They do miss it. They lost their house from a bad flood a few years ago, the water level was up to the second floor of their home. Needless to say, they couldn't live there anymore and the new house doesn't have a koi pond. However, they do across the street from the lake, we go kayaking there every year.

they had a problem with a blue heron as well and had to put some thin netting along the top of the water. Those birds get huge!

Thanks for complimenting my garden. My pond is too small for a bridge but we sit on the patio where we can hear and see it and that is also peaceful. I bet your sister misses her pond?
I used to have Koi and shubunkin goldfish in the pond. I returned the koi when they were about 6 yrs old and 8" long. Unfortunately I kept the goldfish and a big ol' blue heron fished them out last year. I am afraid the same would happen to any replacements.

I love it when Adam and Eve hang out together too. They love hitching to that toadstool or halimeda growing next to it.
Those mushrooms although large are not the carnivorous ones or else I would worry about the seditary seahorses. I used to have some hairy mushrooms but I sold them when I got the seahorses.

That FTS looks fantastic! I'm glad everybody is doing well now.

Not getting blown up counts as a bonus in my book :D

They do miss it. They lost their house from a bad flood a few years ago, the water level was up to the second floor of their home. Needless to say, they couldn't live there anymore and the new house doesn't have a koi pond. However, they do across the street from the lake, we go kayaking there every year.

they had a problem with a blue heron as well and had to put some thin netting along the top of the water. Those birds get huge!

I am sorry that your sister's family experienced loss from a flood. That would be devastating. I guess possessions can be replaced but people can not.

I am glad that you can share in kayaking with them in their new home. A chance to make new memories of good things!

I have considered using the netting but as spring will progress my garden gets more and more perrenials to the point where it is hard to get to the pond. It is just easier to not have the fish! Call me lazy, ha ha!

That FTS looks fantastic! I'm glad everybody is doing well now.

Not getting blown up counts as a bonus in my book :D

Thanks teeny, I am so relieved that the ponies are healthy again.

And amen to the bonus of not getting blown up!

Glad the ponies are healthy Dawn,and I love your pond! I was just talking to a buddy of mine about building a turtle pond in his back yard

Hey I'm in PA!

Glad the ponies are healthy Dawn,and I love your pond! I was just talking to a buddy of mine about building a turtle pond in his back yard

Hey I'm in PA!

That sounds like a cool idea, what kind of turtles would you and your buddy get for the pond? I am pretty sure my pond is too small for a turtle pond. The little pond is a 40g and the bigget pond is 125g so less than 200g total. There are tadpoles in it right now though, LOL.

I remember you and I discussing that you live near Pottsville, Allentown or one of those eastern PA towns, right?

That sounds like a cool idea, what kind of turtles would you and your buddy get for the pond? I am pretty sure my pond is too small for a turtle pond. The little pond is a 40g and the bigget pond is 125g so less than 200g total. There are tadpoles in it right now though, LOL.

I remember you and I discussing that you live near Pottsville, Allentown or one of those eastern PA towns, right?

Yea close enough :lol: I'm like 45 mins from Harrisburg. Probably red eared sliders I would imagine for the pond,if he decides to even do it lol.

A new video for all the fans of the seahorses and pipefish. Abraham is cute when he looks into the empty food bowl.

Elizabeth94

Totally agree. He isn't skittish when you approach the tank? Pipefish just seem so delicate.

Video is super clear, well done!

Abraham is cute when he looks into the empty food bowl.

Thanks! Sometimes it is hard to get a clear video with the tablet. I am learning to watch the screen closely and keep the tablet at the optimum distance from the tank to get a video with good clarity.

Abraham does not seem skittish or delicate. I have actually seen him snatch a piece of mysis right out of the seahorses' mouths if they don't swallow it quick enough! Its hilarious, (well maybe not to the seahorse)!

A new video for all the fans of the seahorses and pipefish. Abraham is cute when he looks into the empty food bowl.

Love the new video! I l or that Abraham looked twice too- almost as if he was saying "wait, let me just make sure"

Love the new video! I l or that Abraham looked twice too- almost as if he was saying "wait, let me just make sure"

You got it right, Abraham did look twice just to make sure, ha ha! He is almost as bad as the chow hound, Eve.

OK, this is sad but I am super excited because I have traded in my old flip phone for an older model droid. So I am trying out posting on my favorite forum. Ha ha! So what if I am having trouble calling or texting.

teenyreef

OK, this is sad but I am super excited because I have traded in my old flip phone for an older model droid. So I am trying out posting on my favorite forum. Ha ha! So what if I am having trouble calling or texting.

:lol: When my Mom traded in her flip phone for an android, the thing she had the most trouble with was swiping right to answer incoming calls :)

:lol: When my Mom traded in her flip phone for an android, the thing she had the most trouble with was swiping right to answer incoming calls :)

Since I have been using a Samsung Galaxy tablet I have the internet part down. Its just the phone part that gives me trouble. I am an old dog but I reckon I can still learn a few new things. I guess your Mom is in the same boat.

Archived