Top Shelf Aquatics

Dawn's seahorse garden. Farewell 36g bowfront!

vlangel

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice bikes!!

Do you guys have any vehicles with more than 2 wheels?

Ha ha, yes we do but nobody wants to see a 2002 soccer mom mini van!

Damn, your tank is looking great. Love the bowfront.

Thanks, i love bowfront tanks too. They are attractive but also have some depth for scaping options.

Took a quick overnight motorcycle trip down into VA, (600+ miles) and came back to the seahorses looking fit and healthy. Going to make RO/DI water tonight for water change tomorrow.

You made it to my state :)

But you'd have to keep going all the way to the very southeastern tip to visit me :D

I did teeny and I have to say that VA is very beautiful this time of year. We came home on Rt 522 and it was spectacular!

We were attending a funeral of a good family friend's father near Charlottesville.

Adam really gave me a scare with the bacterial infection but now is looking better all the time. Each day he seems less stressed and more like his ol' self.

I am re-thinking re-homing my hand raised tomato clown, Baby. He actually seems pretty well adjusted in the feeder shrimp tank. Even though it is a feeder tank I do regular water changes on it since it is near the seahorse tank. When I syphon water out of the seahorse tank, I use that water for a water change in the feeder shrimp tank. I should do some parameter tests on it just to see where everything is at.

I am re-thinking re-homing my hand raised tomato clown, Baby. He actually seems pretty well adjusted in the feeder shrimp tank. Even though it is a feeder tank I do regular water changes on it since it is near the seahorse tank. When I syphon water out of the seahorse tank, I use that water for a water change in the feeder shrimp tank. I should do some parameter tests on it just to see where everything is at.

I think I would have a hard time letting baby go too. As it is, I have a swoop/swirl clown that I will likely need to re-home. She bites and takes food from acans and anemones - but I still don't really want to let her go... :unsure:

I think I would have a hard time letting baby go too. As it is, I have a swoop/swirl clown that I will likely need to re-home. She bites and takes food from acans and anemones - but I still don't really want to let her go... :unsure:

I really get attached to my fish. Baby was an offspring of my first 2 clownfish that eventually paired up. Their names were Tommy and Aito, (because they were Tomato clowns, ha ha!). I had to re-home them when I downsized from the 90g to the 36g. I only ever raised 1 batch of baby clownfish and Baby is the only 1 I have left. That was in 2009 so Baby isn't a baby anymore. Anyway he seems happy in the 10g tank. He has macro algaes and mushrooms and cabbage leather to host. I bought that tank to be a hospital tank for the seahorses if they needed it but actually a 5g salt bucket works better. With seahorses they don't use anything except medicated water and an open airline tube hooked up to an air pump.

Ha ha, Eve is helping me get ready for Halloween with the scary thriller stuff. I put a net full of ghost shrimp in the tank and she stealthily hunts them down and strikes (or in her case snicks) without warning or mercy! She is a killing machine.

Poor Adam would starve to death if he had to hunt his own food! He was still eyeballing his first shrimp by the time Eve had polished off her 3rd. Luck for him mysis just magically shows up in the food bowl 2-3 Xs a day.

20151016_154017_zps1clpypgo.jpg

LOL, Adam is more like 'Ferdinand the bull' who would rather sniff flowers than be a bull fighter bull. Adam would rather chill in the yellow polyps than hunt down ghost shrimp!

I checked parameters today and was a little surprised to see the tank is going through a mini cycle. :-( The ammonia is minimal so I am not really worried but seahorses are a little more sensitive than other fish. I will keep an eye on things and did a 10g WC. Also at Gena's cautioning I decided to check alk and magnesium too. When the alk and Mag were both a bit low I will assume the CA is as well so dosed a little 2 part along with ions magnesium.

Tonight I went to a local reefer's house for an informal meeting of local reefers. He has a beautiful 120g sps tank built in the wall of his game room. Some of his colonies were enormous and he had the biggest acros i have ever seen. There are 2 sump tanks that it gravity feeds into, one is a frag or overflow coral colony tank complete with fish and the smaller sump is a refugium. Its a 300g system in all. I wished I had taken a pic. He was very generous in offering frag to all of us who came. He gave me a 3" high frag of green slimer, a bird of paradise birdsnest and a encrusting something or another. I hope I can keep them. I guess I should expect my alk and CA to be used up a lot quicker.

The new corals, green slimer, birdsnest and misc. coral all look good this morning. I will takes some pics this afternoon. They are nice additions to the tank.

20151019_151532_zpspvs5lmus.jpg

Sorry it has taken me so long to post pics but you know how it goes!

20151019_151704_zps9bwwft58.jpg

The top pic is of the new green slimer frag. You can see how big a piece it is since Adam obliged by giving some reference.

The bottom pic is of the bird of paradise birdsnest in the upper left and an unidentified brownish orange dome shaped coral below the paly's.

I fed the corals some bb and rotifer this morning and now the skimmer is going nuts. I can't seem to get it turned down enough not to overflow so I just cleaned the cup and neck good and will just let the bubbles overflow until it settles down.

Looks awesome! That slimer is going to be perfect in this tank :wub:.

Thanks gena, that is what I am hoping. I have avoided sticks but I know slimers are among the easiest and if I have to watch CA and alk anyhow I might as well vary my corals a bit. I may be pushing the boundaries in a seahorse tank because I am not seeing any other SH tanks with the corals I have. They may not like the dirty cool water but we won't know until we try it.

Thanks gena, that is what I am hoping. I have avoided sticks but I know slimers are among the easiest and if I have to watch CA and alk anyhow I might as well vary my corals a bit. I may be pushing the boundaries in a seahorse tank because I am not seeing any other SH tanks with the corals I have. They may not like the dirty cool water but we won't know until we try it.

I forgot seahorses need cooler water. Looks like the other corals don't mind it. And slimers are so hardy. I'm sure you will be fine :).

20151018_144818_zpsfbrtxcbw.jpg

I thought it might be a good idea to update the specifications on this bowfront tank since it has been repurposed so here goes:

36 gallon Aqueon bowfront tank and stand. Display tank has LR and shallow Carib sea Aragonite sand. Mixed reef of seahorse safe corals.

10 gallon diy sump. First chamber is drain from the overflow box. Second chamber houses the SCA skimmer and the 3rd chamber is for the 9.5 magdrive return pump which splits into 2 returns: 1 goes through the Coralife 1/6 hp chiller that is set at 70-72 degrees, 1 goes through the 9 watt turbo twist UV sterilizer.

3 Powerheads for flow inside the DT are rio pumps, 2 rio 90's and 1 rio 180.

The light fixture is a Coralife 30" 4 bulb T5, (2 of which are 10k and 2 are actinic) Future plans are to switch 1 10k with a coral daylight and 1 actinic with a blue +. Unfortunately getting some colors in 30" is challenging.

ATO is a Auto aqua Smart ATO.

Penn Plan battery back up pump.

Livestock include: a mated pair of H erectus seahorses, a banded pipefish, a royal gramma, multiple Nassarius snails and peppermint shrimp, 2 bee snails, 1 small blue leg crab and 2 cucumbers, (a yellow and a common atlantic).

Corals include: mushrooms, leathers, gsp, blue clove polyps, pagoda cups, caps, gorgs, zoas, palys, candycane, a green slimer, and a bird of paradise.

Macro algae include: red grape caulerpa, dragon's breath, rose pedal, halimeda and an unidentified green fern like algae.

Maintenance includes 15-20 gallon WCs weekly, cleaning skimmer cup and neck every few days, changing AC in drain chamber weekly and wiping down all surfaces in DT weekly. Changing UV, T5 bulbs as recommended.

My first and foremost criteria in this tank was creating as healthy enviroment for the seahorses as possible. If it isn't good for the seahorses then it wasn't a consideration. I was going for a colorful display with lots of natural hitches in varying flows. I wanted it as clean and uncluttered equipment wise as possible.

I did a quick test for ammonia and it appears that the mini cycle is done!

20151018_144818_zpsfbrtxcbw.jpg

I thought it might be a good idea to update the specifications on this bowfront tank since it has been repurposed so here goes:

36 gallon Aqueon bowfront tank and stand. Display tank has LR and shallow Carib sea Aragonite sand. Mixed reef of seahorse safe corals.

10 gallon diy sump. First chamber is drain from the overflow box. Second chamber houses the SCA skimmer and the 3rd chamber is for the 9.5 magdrive return pump which splits into 2 returns: 1 goes through the Coralife 1/6 hp chiller that is set at 70-72 degrees, 1 goes through the 9 watt turbo twist UV sterilizer.

3 Powerheads for flow inside the DT are rio pumps, 2 rio 90's and 1 rio 180.

The light fixture is a Coralife 30" 4 bulb T5, (2 of which are 10k and 2 are actinic) Future plans are to switch 1 10k with a coral daylight and 1 actinic with a blue +. Unfortunately getting some colors in 30" is challenging.

ATO is a Auto aqua Smart ATO.

Penn Plan battery back up pump.

Livestock include: a mated pair of H erectus seahorses, a banded pipefish, a royal gramma, multiple Nassarius snails and peppermint shrimp, 2 bee snails, 1 small blue leg crab and 2 cucumbers, (a yellow and a common atlantic).

Corals include: mushrooms, leathers, gsp, blue clove polyps, pagoda cups, caps, gorgs, zoas, palys, candycane, a green slimer, and a bird of paradise.

Macro algae include: red grape caulerpa, dragon's breath, rose pedal, halimeda and an unidentified green fern like algae.

Maintenance includes 15-20 gallon WCs weekly, cleaning skimmer cup and neck every few days, changing AC in drain chamber weekly and wiping down all surfaces in DT weekly. Changing UV, T5 bulbs as recommended.

My first and foremost criteria in this tank was creating as healthy enviroment for the seahorses as possible. If it isn't good for the seahorses then it wasn't a consideration. I was going for a colorful display with lots of natural hitches in varying flows. I wanted it as clean and uncluttered equipment wise as possible.

I keep hoping this will be at the top of the page!

Archived