Innovative Marine Aquariums

MicMol Aqua Mini Color Review!

MisturrTinnie

MisturrTinnie

Well, lets say most of the mini reviews I've seen has been true. This is the apple of the LED fixtures. Everrything from the packaging down to the fixture. It's super slick, and I love the design. Only design flaw I could see it the mounting bracket to the tank, it's a bit difficult to get it to mount straight on it since we do have thin glass for nanos. I had to use some cardboard to wedge it between the mount and glass, but it's not visible so it doesn't bother me any.

Onto the actual LEDs, everything seems great. Everything works on a separate channel so you can adjust the color to your liking. The only complaint about the LEDs is the blues are not completely royal blues, so it does give your water a windex tint, but I plan on seeing if I could take it apart and replace the LEDs with some more blue cree LEDs. Other than that theLEDs do look great and they are way strong enough for your nanos.

Programming was a bit of a pain since there is only two touch screen buttons on the fixture which by the way works very well, but the beep every time you hit one does get annoying, but its good to be able to tell if you pressed it or not. You can program every channel for every hour of the day. It goes by a percentage so you can do a dawn and dusk set up.

Overall if the LEDs were really royal blue and the mount was built better (it is very sturdy, just hate the fact that its hard to fit on the glass) I would give this light a 10/10 for price and what you get. After saying that, I would give it a 7/10 if you don't do any modding to the LEDs. The color is really a let down to me. But my corals seem to love it. Even at the 5% mark for moonlight mode I set it on, all my zoas and frogspawns are still open. Will be trying to grow some SPS frags off this light and will update this thread. Now onto the pictures, enjoy!

DSC_0690_zpse043820e.jpg

DSC_0694_zpscbeb7e6a.jpg

DSC_0697_zpsd504376b.jpg

DSC_0698_zps5a0d6113.jpg

• OK im getting one. This is what I want for my edge.

Is this blue and white only or did you get the full spectrum with violet,green,and red?

MisturrTinnie

• OK im getting one. This is what I want for my edge.
  • Is this blue and white only or did you get the full spectrum with violet,green,and red?

I got the colored one. It's a great little thing! I'm about to take off the stock mounting point on my spec v and it'll be completely centered on my tank.

The full spectrum does leave the tank a bit pink and white if you turn on the special channel too much, but you can always lower it. Mine's at 5% right now, I might try 2% and see how that looks. if you're only gonna use it for the edge then the full spectrum is perfect, if you might place it on a bigger cube, I would recommend the blue and whites only so you can crank up the LEDs to have more par readings without have the crazy pink and whites.

But either way, you'll love it. I do, I'm glad I went with this route before going DIY. And I opened up the fixture already, and its built very well, the touchscreen buttons I could see being a problem in the future but shouldn't be a crazy problem.

MisturrTinnie

Great review!

I just set up a MicMol on my 8 gallon Nuvo. I picked up the blue/white and it's perfect. We'll see how it grows coral.

Grows them perfectly. My frogspawn and torch frags loves it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Well, lets say most of the mini reviews I've seen has been true. This is the apple of the LED fixtures. Everrything from the packaging down to the fixture. It's super slick, and I love the design. Only design flaw I could see it the mounting bracket to the tank, it's a bit difficult to get it to mount straight on it since we do have thin glass for nanos. I had to use some cardboard to wedge it between the mount and glass, but it's not visible so it doesn't bother me any.

Onto the actual LEDs, everything seems great. Everything works on a separate channel so you can adjust the color to your liking. The only complaint about the LEDs is the blues are not completely royal blues, so it does give your water a windex tint, but I plan on seeing if I could take it apart and replace the LEDs with some more blue cree LEDs. Other than that theLEDs do look great and they are way strong enough for your nanos.

Programming was a bit of a pain since there is only two touch screen buttons on the fixture which by the way works very well, but the beep every time you hit one does get annoying, but its good to be able to tell if you pressed it or not. You can program every channel for every hour of the day. It goes by a percentage so you can do a dawn and dusk set up.

Overall if the LEDs were really royal blue and the mount was built better (it is very sturdy, just hate the fact that its hard to fit on the glass) I would give this light a 10/10 for price and what you get. After saying that, I would give it a 7/10 if you don't do any modding to the LEDs. The color is really a let down to me. But my corals seem to love it. Even at the 5% mark for moonlight mode I set it on, all my zoas and frogspawns are still open. Will be trying to grow some SPS frags off this light and will update this thread. Now onto the pictures, enjoy!

DSC_0690_zpse043820e.jpg

DSC_0694_zpscbeb7e6a.jpg

DSC_0697_zpsd504376b.jpg

DSC_0698_zps5a0d6113.jpg

Im thinking to get one for my nuvo 8. Do you still use this light ? How do you like it ? Also you mentioned that blues are not royal blues. On the website it says they are royal blues?

Thanks for any info

Archived