Pod Your Reef

1 Gallon Pico Setup

saltwatercoral

saltwatercoral

Ok everyone, I have recently sold my 120 Reef setup less than 1yr ago and am setting up a 1 Gallon Pico jar on my desk. (its the biggests tha my work approved) :(

HARDWARE THAT I HAVE PURCHASED ALREDY:

1g clear glass jar with a clear glass lid from Walmart.

Ecoxotic PAR38 LED Aquarium Lamp (455nm all Blue Cree LEDS) and Lamp for the bulb.

Refractometer

nano mag glass cleaner

The only thing is I want to put a small powerhead or pump of some kind, for water movement. It needs to be VERY SMALL. I am only going to put Zoas, GSP and maybe some pulsing xenia.

What sugestion do you all have for a small PICO powerhead?

saltwatercoral
Sweet man! Following.
Sounds good, thanks!

Think I might have one you could have. Toss me a few $ and it's yours.
What do you have?
saltwatercoral

I'll try to post some pictures of what I have tomorrow. But in the meantime does anyone have a recommendation on a very small powerhead or pump for a 1gallon pico tank?

saltwatercoral

Here is what I currntly have setup on my desk, the lamp, (still waiting on the Ecoxotic PAR38 LED Aquarium Lamp), 1g glass cookie jar.

A7BDDDFD-26FC-42BD-92CD-FA6FEC99824A_zps

E35D5B3C-795B-4309-BD65-597801D9003A_zps

8d96c81b-fa0b-4257-8f0e-e391c614c351_zps

saltwatercoral

I think I have narrowed it down to 2 pumps... Please help me decide!

1) Aquatop Nano Water Pump - 4W - 80 gph

L1.75inch x W1.75inch x H1.25inch

No adjustments at all

AquatopNanoWaterPump80gph_zpsbc0a3001.pn

OR

2) Hydor Centrifugal 70 (Pico 200)

L2.25inch x W1.25inch x H1.75inch

Features a 270 degree rotating volute for enhanced directional water flow.

HydorCentrifugal70Pico200_zpsc01e6927.jp

saltwatercoral

Since there have been no suggestions I just decided to go with the Hydor Centrifugal 70 (Pico 200). I just ordered it with what little research I was able to do.

The pump you selected will work well in the little space. Just a thought though, if you are allowed 1 G, you can easily get a 2G fish tank. It is rather difficult to judge water volume in these tanks. With rocks and sand your 1G will be a lot less.

The aquatop pump is a little cutie also. Although for your jar, there were a couple of other fountain pump options that were teensy in size, sorry I didn't catch this thread earlier.

Hi,

As I understand You have already ordered the pump. But just as a suggestion: you can consider also 12V submersible pumps from ebay. for example (I do not konw if it's allowed here to paste a link). Such pumps are proposed mostly from China, have dimensions around 1.5x1x1 inch and flow 200 L/H (something like 50 gph). Also its flow could be driven by PWM if you are going to use a MCU in future.

However I have no experience to use it - just suggestion.

Anyway, I wish You good luck with this pico!

saltwatercoral

Thanks metrokat & ZaQwEdCx

I just decided to buy the Fluval Spec 3. I'm not saying nothing and just going to put it on my desk. We will see what happens!!!

saltwatercoral

Here is the setup as of right now. No water or anything just yet but.... I do have the Ecoxotic PAR38 LED Aquarium Lamp (455nm all Blue Cree LEDS) and Lamp for the bulb and the tank is the Flucal Spec 3! I maight even use the Hydor Centrifugal 70 (Pico 200) pump for an upgrade!

2_zps8354276a.jpg

1_zps75efe6c8.jpg

How can I get this Topic moved to the "Pico Reefs" forum? Can anyone help with this?

saltwatercoral

Actually just DELETE this one since I have a different setup than started with. I'll start a new one. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived