ReefCleaners.org

Daddy Kev's IM Nuvo Nano 16 Techno Reef

daddykev

This is my third wind back into the hobby. My reefing adventures began as child in the 1980s, helping my Dad maintain a 40-gallon reef with limited success. In the early 00s, I managed to convince my then-girlfriend/now-wife to allow a 60-gallon reef into our living room. Now it's 2014 and I'm back in the game with my very first nano reef. I'm thrilled to say the least.

I really love the form factor of the Innovative Marine Nuvo Nano 16. I've also been completely amazed by the advancements in reefkeeping technology since my last foray in the early 00s. Being a complete technology geek in almost every other avenue of my life, it's only appropriate that I am embracing the "techno reef" approach. I was also very inspired by StevieT's Nuvo 16, so mine has a few similarities.

Hardware

Apex Jr controller
Apex WXM module (EcoTech Wireless Control)
Apex PM1 module w/standard pH probe
Apex PM2 module w/scientific salinity probe
EcoTech Marine MP10wES
Eheim Jager TruTemp 75w heater
Tunze Nano Osmolator 3152 - ATO

Filtration

inTank IM16 Media Baskets (pair - each w/filter floss, 100 mL Purigen, 3.1oz Chemi-Pure Elite)
Stock IM16 filter pump
Tunze 9001 Protein Skimmer Replaced with IM "AUQA Gadget" SkimMate Protein Skimmer

Lighting

Stock IM16 lighting EcoTech Marine Radion XR15w Pro LED with RMS XR15 Tank Mount

post-85470-0-86665000-1408451290_thumb.jpg

Tanks looking great. I am 5 months into my Nuvo 16 SPS tank. Great little tanks. I would recommend getting a screen top and remove the glass- mine would fog up terrible on the sides. I also replaced my pump with a Sicce 1.5 (358gph) with two IM spin streams- produces nice random currents- but your MP10 will help with that. I really like their reactors for running carbon and occasional GFO for phosphate control. Great choice in lighting also. Check out my link below to my Nuvo build. Good luck- looking forward to following along.

Tanks looking great. I am 5 months into my Nuvo 16 SPS tank. Great little tanks. I would recommend getting a screen top and remove the glass- mine would fog up terrible on the sides. I also replaced my pump with a Sicce 1.5 (358gph) with two IM spin streams- produces nice random currents- but your MP10 will help with that. I really like their reactors for running carbon and occasional GFO for phosphate control. Great choice in lighting also. Check out my link below to my Nuvo build. Good luck- looking forward to following along.

Thanks for your feedback. I definitely want to replace the stock filter pumps soon, as well as invest in the spin streams.

Here was the tank on Day #1 (August 2, 2014).

I started with 20 pounds of Nature's Ocean Bio-Activ Live Aragonite Reef Sand. Also 20 pounds of cured live rock from my LFS.

Pretty cloudy at first, not unexpected on the first day.

post-85470-0-40070500-1408468457_thumb.jpg

Here was the first night (August 2, 2014). Still murky, but things turned took a major turn for the better by morning time :)

post-85470-0-30145600-1408479305_thumb.jpg

Day #2 (August 3, 2014) morning time. Things starting to settle.

post-85470-0-72443300-1408489774_thumb.jpg

Day #8 (August 9, 2014) mid day. Water testing near perfect. Added a percula clown.

post-85470-0-38493400-1408490429_thumb.jpg

Nice coming along well.

Thank you very much. I'm editing a video of my tank from 8/9/14 right now. Curious what you think.

Thanks for the heads up. Already pre-ordered :)

Looking good- nice selection of rock! What are you feeding your clown?

Feeding him frozen Piscine Energetics PE MYSIS (freshwater mysis shrimp).

Feeding him frozen Piscine Energetics PE MYSIS (freshwater mysis shrimp).

thanks - I'll have to try the frozen Piscine Energetics

• 2 weeks later...

Alright folks, I'm about a month after initial setup. Things are going wonderfully so far.

I had been patiently awaiting the release of the EcoTech RMS XR15 tank mount, and they were finally in stock at Vivid Aquariums.

Behold, the EcoTech Radion XR15w Pro with RMS XR15 tank mount on a Nuvo 16:

post-85470-0-18656000-1409888261_thumb.jpg

Your tank looks great! I have the same tank and light but after seeing the new mount on yours I'll have to buy it. Just a warning though, your clownfish can probably slip out through the gap in the glass lid. One of my clowns did it last week for the first time, after 3 months of being in the tank, so I had to rush to make the DIY netting cover.

Your tank looks great! I have the same tank and light but after seeing the new mount on yours I'll have to buy it. Just a warning though, your clownfish can probably slip out through the gap in the glass lid. One of my clowns did it last week for the first time, after 3 months of being in the tank, so I had to rush to make the DIY netting cover.

Ya, I bought a screen kit from BRS- super easy to make . My glass top was a complete mess- it would always fog up on me- the screen top is nice and easy to remove when feeding- I would highly recommend .

Alright folks, I'm about a month after initial setup. Things are going wonderfully so far.

I had been patiently awaiting the release of the EcoTech RMS XR15 tank mount, and they were finally in stock at Vivid Aquariums.

Behold, the EcoTech Radion XR15w Pro with RMS XR15 tank mount on a Nuvo 16:

attachicon.gifphoto(6).jpg

The set up is looking good!

Thanks for the feedback. I definitely want to replace the glass lid soon.

Ya, I bought a screen kit from BRS- super easy to make . My glass top was a complete mess- it would always fog up on me- the screen top is nice and easy to remove when feeding- I would highly recommend . The set up is looking good!

Thank you. I am going to make an order from BRS soon!

• 2 weeks later...

Nice work daddykev!

I've also purchased a Radion xr15w for my nuvo 16, was wondering if you could share your current settings for it? Are you running artificial or one of the preset options?

Thanks!

Archived