Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

KH calculation

jgaepi

I went to my LFS saturday to have my water sampled. 2 weeks into my cycle. Things are still chugging along - albeit slowly. Store suggested i put three starter corals in to help the process along (vice fish) but told me that my KH is only at about 8. Pushed a white bottle of stuff in my hand (something like Reef 8.4 or Coral 8.4) and wished me luck. But the calculation on the back makes no sense to me.

Disclaimer, it took me 2 years to pass Chemistry with a C average.

It says something like one capful, 7.3ml or something, to 30 gallons raises 0.2 something or other. I have a BioCube 14 with approx. 10 gallons of actual water. How many capfuls or ml do I actually need?

Thanks.

LFS originally handed me the two bottle and then the supervisor told me just to buy this other single bottle. My three starter corals are a frogspawn, yellow mushroom like thing with a sharp, skeleton like base, and a Zoa. I also pre ordered some LPS online for delivery next week.

I went to my LFS saturday to have my water sampled. 2 weeks into my cycle. Things are still chugging along - albeit slowly. Store suggested i put three starter corals in to help the process along (vice fish) but told me that my KH is only at about 8. Pushed a white bottle of stuff in my hand (something like Reef 8.4 or Coral 8.4) and wished me luck. But the calculation on the back makes no sense to me.

Disclaimer, it took me 2 years to pass Chemistry with a C average.

It says something like one capful, 7.3ml or something, to 30 gallons raises 0.2 something or other. I have a BioCube 14 with approx. 10 gallons of actual water. How many capfuls or ml do I actually need?

Thanks.

Nothing is wrong with 8 dkH. 7-11 is generally what people run and 8 is around natural sea water. Your LFS is trying to sell you stuff. Corals do not help the cycle, that just stresses the corals and possibly kills them. Tell the LFS to piss off :P They are milking your wallet <_<

LFS originally handed me the two bottle and then the supervisor told me just to buy this other single bottle. My three starter corals are a frogspawn, yellow mushroom like thing with a sharp, skeleton like base, and a Zoa. I also pre ordered some LPS online for delivery next week.

Not enough corals that you need dosing, do regular water changes. Dosing can mess stuff up badly. You don't want to follow the directions on the bottle either. You need to test to figure out how much your corals are using up per day and replace that amount. However, with such a low load of corals, it isn't needed right now.

However, with such a low load of corals, it isn't needed right now.

Tamberav, concern is that I ordered 6 more 1inch frags from UniqueCorals for delivery next week. These initial three were cheapies to see what happens (at least in my mind). The next set are more expensive and I don't want them to die. How do I start to assess how much KH my corals take in? And frankly assess what else they take up?

I also set up an ATO for my new tank with RO water. I read somewhere that it will eventually dilute my levels. Does anyone have a system for premixing additives into my ATO? Or is there an add-on dosing system that people recommend?

I plan to let all the corals settle in for at least 2 weeks before eventually adding fish.

Tamberav, concern is that I ordered 6 more 1inch frags from UniqueCorals for delivery next week. These initial three were cheapies to see what happens (at least in my mind). The next set are more expensive and I don't want them to die. How do I start to assess how much KH my corals take in? And frankly assess what else they take up?

I also set up an ATO for my new tank with RO water. I read somewhere that it will eventually dilute my levels. Does anyone have a system for premixing additives into my ATO? Or is there an add-on dosing system that people recommend?

I plan to let all the corals settle in for at least 2 weeks before eventually adding fish.

You buy a good test kit (not API) like the red sea kit or salifert for mg/alk/ca. I have never seen my levels get diluted from an ATO, I would imagine that would take a very long time without water changes.

Don't dose until it becomes needed. Weekly water changes are generally fine for awhile unless you end up with a SPS heavy tank. Low levels of ca/alk won't cause much harm but messing up the dosing and causing swings can kill some corals pretty quickly.

Kalkwasser is what is used in an ATO or people use controllers or dosers or manually do it.

Archived