Coral Vue Hydros

Ro-Di unit for Pico

Jimmyboo

hi guys,

So I have been doing some minor research and decided that it MAY just be worth it to buy a RO-DI unit. I also say other good uses for it such as watering plants on occasion.

However, putting that aside, my tank is only 2 gallons. PLUS, my city water is quiet good. So I really do not need anything industrial.

I would prefer to buy from Amazon, but whatever the best price there is, ill probably go for.

Any recommendations would be super helpful.

Thank You,

JB :D

This is about as cheap as you can get one new, I have this one and it works well I just hook it up to my sink. The only thing with these smaller portable ro filters is that when you go to replace the filters on them it costs more than the full size ro units so it's kinda of your call. I like this one though.

http://www.amazon.com/Aquatic-Life-Reverse-Osmosis-50-Gallon/dp/B00DOG63OY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408378242&sr=8-1&keywords=ro+buddy

*Edit* You can also add a Di stage to the filter, I did

http://www.amazon.com/Aquatic-Life-Color-Changing-Cartridge/dp/B00DSP57BQ/ref=pd_bxgy_petsupplies_text_y

JavaJacketOC

I've used Mighty Mite D.I. for years and have never had any issues. Looks like what Smithjm5 posted would be less expensive but I cannot speak to the end water quality. My tap water reads at about 260 tds and after this Mighty Mite it's 0.

Screw the RO/DI unit. I have a 5g, and I use ~10g of water between topoffs and weekly water changes per month. The grocery store sells RO/DI water (at least RO) from a machine for $0.30 a gallon. It costs me 3 bucks a month, which is $36 a year. It'll take 3-4 years to recoup the cost of a new RO/DI unit with replacement filters. The water works just as well, why spend more money?

JavaJacketOC

Screw the RO/DI unit. I have a 5g, and I use ~10g of water between topoffs and weekly water changes per month. The grocery store sells RO/DI water (at least RO) from a machine for $0.30 a gallon. It costs me 3 bucks a month, which is $36 a year. It'll take 3-4 years to recoup the cost of a new RO/DI unit with replacement filters. The water works just as well, why spend more money?

Good point, as long as the water is 0 tds you should be good to go. I've tested bottled water from my grocery store and it always reads 0

Every reef keeper needs a TDS meter. Control the quality of water going into your tank, regardless of where it comes from.

I know low end rodi units are kind of frowned upon around here, and with good reason. But I bought a purewaterclub.com unit for 62$ shipped, and it has been nothing but great. When it comes time to replace the filters, I'll just buy a new one.

Don't get the TDS-EZ. It is not temperature compensated so lacks the accuracy of their TDS-3, TDS-4TM or AP-1 which are only $20-$25.

If you drink bottled water the expense of buying a good RO or RO/DI system is easily justified. Here in Phoenix we drink a lot of water, especially in summer months so the RO side of the RO/DI gets a real work out feeding a drinking water kit. You can get a real reef quality RO/DI system for around $125 and an add on drinking water kit with a tank and faucet for $59. Even on sale cases of bottled water are lie $3-$4 and we were going through as many as a couple a week. We hooked the RO side to a drinking faucet at the kitchen sink, to another mounted at the laundry sink and to the refrigerator door faucet and icemaker. The family loves the RO drinking water and the DI is just a bonus for me and my reef tanks. Much easier to justify than just a RO/DI for the reef.

I use a spectra pure RO/DI unit and love it. No lugging water to and from the grocery store or LFS for me anymore. I do have a 220 gallon so the investment was very worth it. I also have 65 gallons of emergency water ready at all times.

I know this is considered bad juju but my tank as been going about 2 weeks using tap water and seachem prime to cleanse it. Then i mix my salt. Right ow i havent had a problem but i may get an rodi unit in the future.

Well, buying the TDS is a bit annoying and something I would rather avoid. However, a bigger question, why does everyone hate the lower end Ro-Di units? Sure, they may not be perfect, but they must do an fine job. right?

Additionally, how long does the filter last?

No they don't for the most part. You really do get what you pay for with RO and RO/DI.

Most low end systems are designed for drinking water, not reef water. With drinking water TDS is not important, it is actually what makes the water taste good so removing all the TDS is not the goal, only reducing it.

With a reef quality RO/DI you want 0 TDS after treatment. The more TDS the RO membrane allows through, the shorter the life of your DI resin and the more it costs you to operate the system due to frequent replacements.

Your last question sums it up. A low end RO or RO/DI doesn't last long, sometimes needing a membrane replacement as soon as 18 months or less. It will also go through DI much faster so the lower initial cost is soon exceeded by the operations and maintenance costs. A better RO or RO/DI will use better sediement and carbon block filters so the RO membrane is better protected and lasts many times longer while removing more TDS. Lower TDS means the DI resin will also last longer so your operating costs plus initial cost is actually much lower even in the first year of operation for amny users.

My RO/DI system is going on 7 years old and the original membrane is still in place and giving me 99.4% efficiency with RO only and gets over 1000 gallons per DI cartridge. The name brand system it replaced needed a new membrane every 18 months and DI replacements every 150 gallons. The new system paid for itself in the second year of operation compared to the old system.

My RO/DI system is going on 7 years old and the original membrane is still in place and giving me 99.4% efficiency with RO only and gets over 1000 gallons per DI cartridge. The name brand system it replaced needed a new membrane every 18 months and DI replacements every 150 gallons. The new system paid for itself in the second year of operation compared to the old system.

Ok, all info very useful. However, as my tank is only 2 gallons, I will surly never need more than 150 gallons. So a non-name brand may be ok, of course quality may be lacking.

ro water gets used everywhere in my house , it's the drinking water , ice maker water , it keeps my plants happy and i have a tiedye busness wich requires good water quality - having the unit allready under my sink was just a bonus when i started my tank .. now i'm only using ro at the moment and will eventully need to get a di addon (tds currently between 18-20ppm - tap water is over 250) but for now it's doing great. well worth the $ i spent on it 2 years ago.

Archived