Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Ocellaris pair dominating my tank

Cove

My Ocellaris pair decided to dominate my tank. Wanted to add one more fish help with the sand bed and its been sudden death for it. I have a 10 gal tank thats been running since june 4th, my fish are fed properly so my only idea is that my clownfish are just being territorial. Should I swap them out for a goby and then get another pair later?

I would first try rearranging the tank. Sometimes new surroundings can help lessen aggression. What are your current water parameters? Also what fish have you tried to add recently?

I would first try rearranging the tank. Sometimes new surroundings can help lessen aggression. What are your current water parameters? Also what fish have you tried to add recently?

Ill try rearranging the aquascape.

Current parameters- Ammonia, Nitrite-0, Nitrates-20 (Ill lower them on tuesday when I do my water change) Ph-8.1, Alk, 9.9.

Fish ive recently added- Firefish, Watchmen goby within two months.

Just my two cents, but 4 fish in a 10 gallon is a lot. I would imagine that their issues are due to limited space...

Best of luck with what you end up doing!

I have two o.clowns that don't like other fish as well,you're better adding fish that are semi aggressive like clowns. My sixline wrasse was left alone due to similar size and was also aggressive back after a while everyone was peaceful.My red dragonet however was eventually fed to their anemone. And my cherub angel is now the only fish other than my clowns ( wrasse given to friend) and they barely tolerate it. All this is in a 28 gallon tank. Firefish are generally passive and dont deal with being bullied well

Just my two cents, but 4 fish in a 10 gallon is a lot. I would imagine that their issues are due to limited space...

Best of luck with what you end up doing!

And you're right lol. I was adding the third fish both times and was unsuccessful. I was never planning on adding a 4th.

I have two o.clowns that don't like other fish as well,you're better adding fish that are semi aggressive like clowns. My sixline wrasse was left alone due to similar size and was also aggressive back after a while everyone was peaceful.My red dragonet however was eventually fed to their anemone. And my cherub angel is now the only fish other than my clowns ( wrasse given to friend) and they barely tolerate it. All this is in a 28 gallon tank. Firefish are generally passive and dont deal with being bullied well

Interesting, I thought of a six line but I don't think a 10 gallon is okay for them. I may upgrade to a 20 long in a bit. Maybe that will loosen things up.

Upgrading may help. I had one that was pretty aggressive in a 12g but passive in a 45g. I haven't seen any aggression from either pair I have in larger thanks.

I think they just like more space than we give them credit for. Lets face it, a 10g isn't the ocean, it might as well be a drop. :P

You could try QT them for a week while the new fish gets settled then re-introducing them.

Archived