Pod Your Reef

NanoClown's Mr.Aqua [25]³ | Quick Update!

NanoClown

Introduction

As some of you guys know, I have been looking to upgrade my Fluval Spec V to something larger. I have been looking for something less than 30 gallons that wouldn't take up a huge amount of space. I have had all in ones in the past, but I really wanted a sump with my next tank I was planning on setting up a 40B but I dont have the space for it anymore. Anyways, I met a local a few months ago who had a very nice Mr.Aqua 25g cube (18") that he was planning to tear down. Fast forward to today.... I am now the owner of said setup :)

FTS September 29, 2014

photo1-5.jpg

Equipment List

Tank: Mr.Aqua 25g Cube, 18"
Drilled, with an internal overflow box which hides both the drain and return.

Sump: custom acrylic 16.5"x16.5"x12" (~14 gallons, in reality probably only holds around 10)
3 chambers (skimmer, refugium, return)

Skimmer: Bubble Magus NAC 5.5 (extreme overkill but I don't mind :D)

Return Pump: ViaAqua VA-1800 (480gph)

Heater: Ebo Jager 100w (will probably be replaced with a Cobalt Neo-Therm)

Controller: Digital Aquatics Reefkeeper Lite - Plus, With ALC module to control custom LED array.

Auto Top Off: Tunze Osmolator Nano 3152, 10g reservoir

Lights: Custom LED array (rather simple with just white/blue CREE brand LEDs). It will be controlled by my RKL with an ALC module. I plan to upgrade to a NanoBox retrofit using 2 of Dave's 13up boards sometime in the future, but for now I'm going to stick with the current LEDs.

Water Movement: Dual Jebao RW-4 pumps

• Like 4

wow! this is a really really nice setup. love the overflow. did the stand come with the tank too? everything fits so perfectly.

Thanks Ninja,

I really like the overflow as well. The return is hidden very well inside of there for a sleek finish. I plan to paint the back wall black sometime when I get the chance. B)

The tank came with the stand. The guy I bought it from made it, and the sump to fit perfect together.

• 3 weeks later...

Should be ordering some more things for the tank, I hope to have it all setup within the next couple of weeks.

I still need to fill in my order at BRS, work out a deal for this RKL, and order a pair of Jebao RW4 pumps from ebay

Wow this looks so good! I love how clean the overflow looks!

Thanks! I love how the overflow hides the return, but I think I might change some of the pluming from the return so I can put an actual bulkhead on the overflow box. We'll see if I do any mods before I get things filled up.

Such a pretty set-up.

Can't wait to see it stocked!!

Thank you!

It should look well stocked as soon as I move over everything from my Spec V. I've just been waiting on more equipment to come in before I do anything. I just ordered a pair of RW4 from ebay. They should be here next Friday :D

I got a chance to install a bulkhead on the return instead of it having hard plumbing like before.

http://s1220.photobucket.com/user/to-turo/media/MrAqua%2025g%20Cube/photo2-3.jpg.html'>photo2-3.jpg

http://s1220.photobucket.com/user/to-turo/media/MrAqua%2025g%20Cube/photo1-3.jpg.html'>photo1-3.jpg

Overall I think this makes it look a lot more flush than it was before. I'm a happy camper :happy:

• Like 1

I spent the whole day getting the tank set up! The water is still cloudy so i'll be sure to take some photos of the aquascape and sump after it clears up tomorrow. I'm still waiting for my RKL to come in the mail so that I could get the lights working on timers and such. Hopefully it gets here before I leave on a work-related trip this next week.

I am assuming I can skip a cycle altogether or just have a mini cycle. All of the live rock that I used was already cycled together, I also added a few pounds of live rock from the Spec V that didn't have any corals on them. I made sure all of the rock was cured of pests and I even scrubbed them of hair algea and bryopsis before doing my aquascape. My Spec V now looks like a frag tank lol :lol: I plan to test the water parameters over the next week. I plan to transfer over all of my livestock after I come back from my trip.

I got a chance to take a few pics now that the water is a less cloudy. Cheers! (I still need to invest in a camera :P iphone pics ftw?)

photo1-4.jpg

photo3-2.jpg

photo4.jpg

All of my wires are messy right now so I'll take some pics of inside of my stand later lol

• Like 4

Off to a great start! following your progress

Thanks! I've been following your Mr.Aqua 12 gallon build. I am amazed with your DIY skills B)

sexy! looks soo good. this is definitely an upgrade to the spec

Thanks Ninja! I plan to move over the rest of my corals from the spec when I get back next week, right now I just have a few rocks with mushrooms in there. I'm excited to be able to keep more fish :lol:

• Like 1

Thanks! I've been following your Mr.Aqua 12 gallon build. I am amazed with your DIY skills B)

Thanks man! Yours is looking great so far, did you make that overflow box? looking all pro :)

• Like 1

Thanks man! Yours is looking great so far, did you make that overflow box? looking all pro :)

I wish I had the skills to make an overflow box like this. Most of the DIY work was done by the previous owner, all I had to do was buy some equipment and get everything set it up :)

• Like 1

How are two RW-4's doing in the tank You must have had to turn them down some.

Honestly I could have gotten away with just 1, but I like the added random flow that having 2 of them provide. I have them running on "C" mode (alternating mode) with about 4 second delay between the pumps. Intensity is only at 20% (2 lights on?) for each pump. If I go any higher it pushes over my sandbed. Overall I am very happy with the RW-4's, if I went bare-bottom on this setup I wouldn't mind turning them up a little bit more. For their size these pumps sure do have a lot of power, for the price they really can't be beat.

• 2 weeks later...

quick update: going to go to the LFS tomorrow and pick up a few more small things. It looks like im all cycled already (I knew it would be short considering most of my LR was already cured and cycled). Hopefully i'll have all of my livestock transferred over this weekend. :)

photo.jpg