Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Biggest lfs blunder

Dr.Brain Coral

At my old LFS that I used to go to (back when I was into freshwater), I was always fascinated with all of the saltwater fish and inverts. Every week, I would come up with some excuse to go back and check out what new saltwater creatures that they had. There was this one 40g breeder that they used as a display for their newest additions. I guess somebody didn't do much research, because one week, they had a shark egg in that display. Maybe they thought someone would buy it before it hatched or something, but nobody did lol. This is the sad part,

The shark hatched, and week after week, it got bigger and bigger until it Harley even physically fit in the 40b. Then one time, I walked in and the shark was gone. When I asked what happened, they told me that they had to pay money for another LFS to take it. They actually had to PAY, they said, to give it away. Since then I have moved to another LFS that can better fulfill my reefing needs.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i went to see petcos frag tank every sps was bleached and a couple pieces were totally dead (just the skelton) :D

then i asked their employee if they were dead (acting like a noob :P )he told me thats exactly what they should look like and they were very healthy

Dr.Brain Coral

Ya I saw the same thing in some Lfs in Buffalo

i went to see petcos frag tank every sps was bleached and a couple pieces were totally dead (just the skelton) :D

then i asked their employee if they were dead (acting like a noob :P )he told me thats exactly what they should look like and they were very healthy

• 1 month later...

Dang do you have any pics of this fish?

Man, I forgot about this thread....

I had trouble finding any decent ones of her, so this one gives you an idea of her size. Unfortunately the only one I have of the side of her scar is while she was in the pond, and there isn't much to see anyway due to water disturbance from a venturi :/

Bertha.jpg

My lfs has had an empty clam shell in a tank for months now with a $60 price tag on it. They also have a 24g nuvo set up full of sps skeletons from ora priced from $35 to $85 and every time I go in a few more have been sold.

Dr.Brain Coral

Went to my faorite lfs when I was out of town over the weekend. I got there and they had a green rock flower anemone for 60 bucks. Not even on of the fancy ones, like one of the ones you can buy for 10 bucks other places. In there defense though they did have a huge and quite beautiful head of Frogspawn for only 35

I had a LFS sell me some "red mushrooms" for 14$ and when I got home realized they had sent me a cluster of Acans. Best LFS blunder ever.

I also had another LFS recommend a cleaner wrasse for my 16 gallon tank w/ only one fish in it. Thank god for Liveaquaria...

petkingdom619

Yeah, I've only ever had sad experiences at LFSs or good ones. I wish I could be around for the more funny ones like seeing a guy put 300 gals of saltwater in the back of his sedan. :lol:

I've put 100 gallons in a 2/door civic

At an old pet store I used to work, I had asked about their water source, my boss had said ot was pure ground water that went through filtration. Not 2 weeks later i was doing my ususal 50% water changes, no one else did em. The same boss told me not to change so much water, I asked why he said id drown the fish, then said it was because the water was untreated town water -_-. He still wonders why we loose fish. Plus his idea of maintaining a salt water tank is to bleach anytjing with algae on it, and only change the water 20% every 2 months, mind you this 55 is stocked full of 2-3 dozen damsels, several pair of clown and at least 3 fish that are 6inches or larger. If you ever need an example of how NOT to run a pet store go to that store

Whats even funnier is that my wife said "well honey, maybe it's specially made water that the Bettas grow better in" Ya gotta love her...

Indeed, betta water has a much higher viscosity than regular old water. That's how they can hold their fins up. B)

reefernanoman

Some grouchy old LFS owner told me that I should not dump my salt mix first then my RO water later because I would DESTROY the salt? He went out of business quickly because he was mean to me and all his customers

Some grouchy old LFS owner told me that I should not dump my salt mix first then my RO water later because I would DESTROY the salt? He went out of business quickly because he was mean to me and all his customers

you shouldn't.

edit: explanation 2 posts down

Awkward

My LFS offered me some goldfish for my 60g not kidding, all I wanted was rock...

I guess that was harsh and I should explain...

You mix salt slowly into the rodi water to prevent precipitates from forming. You lose many of the elements in salt to precipitation and they become unusable in the tank.

reefernanoman

I guess that was harsh and I should explain...

You mix salt slowly into the rodi water to prevent precipitates from forming. You lose many of the elements in salt to precipitation and they become unusable in the tank.

This is the first time I hear that. I'll keep it in mind. He was very rude though LOL. He acted and talked like you should never ask him anything.

This is the first time I hear that. I'll keep it in mind. He was very rude though LOL. He acted and talked like you should never ask him anything.

some people have a rough time conveying knowledge in a friendly respectful way, lol as evidenced by my previous response. In his case it is extremely counter productive as a happy customer is usually a repeat customer. I hang out with a few of my lfs's employees for a while talking reef tanks when I get the time... great bunch and the reason I frequent them opposed to buying online for cheaper in many many cases.

petkingdom619

I've put 20G in a 4 door civic. One 5g bucket in each seat strapped in, no problem :)

Try a huge inflatable plastic water holder in the trunk. Just slows you down a little. And alot of syphoning

This wasn't an LFS blunder per se, but one time while getting RODI water, this guy walked into the store with a Burger king cup full of coke, legit poured it out in the LFS water fountain and asked the guy to fill it up. Didn't even rinse it. The LFS guy did, said the guy comes in everyday with a cup like that for the past few months. It was literally the most redneck thing I've ever seen.

Archived