Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Two aiptasia in zoanthid frag. Suggestions please!

Steve973

When I bought this frag, I didn't see the aiptasia. When I first saw them, they were smaller and I thought that they were hydroids. I want to take care of this situation before it gets worse, and I'm not sure what I should do about it, particularly because the aiptasia are in the middle of the little colony. This was the best picture that I could get with my cell phone:

20140816_102710.jpg

I go after aptasia with a syringe full of near boiling water and long blunt tip needle. Tap the zoas to get them to retract and squirt the pests. You'll probably get the zoa heads nearest too, but would save the colony.

Also heard of people super-gluing over the top of the aptasia.

I'm not sure if we have the same problem. I was hoping this was a hydroid as well. So far I've found three on this my zoa colony and I've superglued them all. You can use a pair of tweezers to separate the zoa heads and then squirt the glue over the whatever it is.

aiptasiacopy_zps62f761ca.jpg

CatfishSoupFTW

i get a syringe with calcium hydroxide, and just squirt it right on it. zoas close up, aptasia dies, and zoa is fine a bit later. killed many on frags. never no issues.

Archived