Pod Your Reef

My Filterless, Skimmerless 10G

jabeuy

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Solved the ATO/Waves issue I was having.

I had a local acrylic guy to make me a box to house the ATO sensor in. This way, it would be protected from the waves and the water on the inside would be steady.

I originally designed it to have holes on the sides and bottom to let water in, but it was letting too much water and waves through. Had to patch everything except one hole on the bottom with coral glue.

LAdTGlc.jpgJpQ3NbS.jpg

Leatherneck3755

Awesome freakin build. Defintely a KISS "Keep it simple stupid" kinda tank. As long as you keep on the water changes, you will be golden. Good luck and looking forward to see it grow!!! Ill be following.

Awesome freakin build. Defintely a KISS "Keep it simple stupid" kinda tank. As long as you keep on the water changes, you will be golden. Good luck and looking forward to see it grow!!! Ill be following.

Thanks! Unfortunately what makes this KISS brings up other unforseen issues that need workarounds haha.

• 1 month later...

Getting a new tank in a couple of weeks, and planning to put a skimmer and other actual filtration in that one haha. So I thought I'd try my hand at some SPS. Hopefully these survive in the meantime, they're coming from a LFS that had them on sale because they were browning out.

When I first put them in:

tFBB0FN.jpg

Today, a day after:

PEAuw3i.jpg

3xSJzV4.jpg

2GU62OC.jpg

New FTS:

KKTM5QT.jpg

On the frag rack, the bottom is supposed to be a blue digitata.

The middle and top I may have mixed up, but one is a pocillopora and the other a cherry slider if I'm remembering correctly (can't find a reference to this one online).

Can anyone ID what the top 2 on the rack are?

Sweet frag rack, I like it. Not too big where it's a waste of space in a small tank, but still allows you to raise the frags up to acclimate to the light little by little. Where diid you get it from?

Thanks!

Frag rack is a Thrive Aquatics one. Got it from a LFS for $20, surprised to see it being a lot more expensive online.

The plug holders come in different lengths so you can play around with a bit in how they're placed.

Looks like I have bryopsis in the tank.

fGa3Hn6.jpg

y4lcrWh.jpg

I've been feeding fish once a day, and feeding corals once a week with reef roids.

So in addition to removing the bryopsis manually, I;m now cutting back feeding to every other day, and stopped the reef roids. Forgot for a second that I don't run a skimmer lol, so shouldn't have been polluting the tank like that.

i battled bryopsis in both of my tanks. it's not fun and i dunno what finally made them go away, but good luck! it looks pretty isolated to that frag plug so you should be able to just dip that in H202 / saltwater mix and call it a day.

Decided to get rid of the bryopsis by replacing the Duncan was on. Went a step further and decided to try fragging it.

I split the Duncan onto 3 plugs. Made a few mistakes cutting with the dremel, and honestly thought I'd for sure lose the frags.

But 5 days later and they're alive!

znAbuXA.jpg

Decided to get rid of the bryopsis by replacing the Duncan was on. Went a step further and decided to try fragging it.

I split the Duncan onto 3 plugs. Made a few mistakes cutting with the dremel, and honestly thought I'd for sure lose the frags.

But 5 days later and they're alive!

znAbuXA.jpg

good stuff, yeh duncans are tanks, feed them and those will have 20 heads each in no time.

good stuff, yeh duncans are tanks, feed them and those will have 20 heads each in no time.

Haha yeah, tell me about it. I bought it at around 8 heads late in June. When I fragged, it had probably had like 18-20

What exactly is your maintenance routine? Tank looks amazing!

Haha thanks!

It's a 10G, so 2G PWC weekly.

I feed fish every other day, and have fed the corals a few times over the past 2 months.

I used to feed every day, but probably b/c of the lack of additional filtration I started to get some sports of GHA, bryopsis and was cleaning glass almost daily.

So I cut back to feeding every other day and only feed corals the day before a water change.

Now I clean glass once a week, GHA seems to be gone, but not too sure about bryopsis just yet.

As for parameters, I'm using an API kit so not too sure about accuracy.

It says that nitrates are at 0 (probably not), and phosphates are between 0.25-0.5.

Since there's no skimmer or other filtration, the softies and LPS probably like all the extra nutrients, food and waste. I got 3 pieces of SPS to try out, and so far their polyps are really extended contrary to what the conditions would suggest.

Honestly, I'm not too sure what I'm doing since I've only been at it for a few months :D

Good to see this is working out so far. Are you working the sand bed at all or are you leaving it alone?

In small tanks like this regular detritus export makes a big difference towards increased longevity.

Good to see this is working out so far. Are you working the sand bed at all or are you leaving it alone?

In small tanks like this regular detritus export makes a big difference towards increased longevity.

I was too scared to vacuum the sand in fear of sucking lots out accidentally lol.

So I didn't vacuum it at all ever.

Until last week when I needed some sand to seed some new dry rock. Man, the part I vacuumed got soo white and clean haha.

Archived