Top Shelf Aquatics

is this ich?

Snapper

so my kole tang is new in QT and I am trying to figure out what is going on with him.

So the lights went off in the room and when i came back just to check on them i noticed he was at the top breathing fast as if he was struggling to breath due to ammonia or something since he was near the surface. So i did a WC of about 70% and he is still breathing fast and since he sin't hiding due to this weird state of mind he is in i got to snap a few pics of his fins.

here is some insight,

1) he has been through Quarantine at the LFS (formalin for ich)

2) he showed no signs of ich but did have specs on his fins but i was told it was lymphocystitis.

3) he wouldn't eat, he would spit out his food

I couldn't tell if A) he was asleep or B) not doing well.

any idea what this is?

the 2nd fish in the QT has it as well (i bought both fishes together) but this fish is fine, eats non stop swims all around very good so far.

Can't see too well on the phone but dose seem like ich. I use light amounts of copper and some garlic with the food to treat my ich issues. Garlic is a great preventive and can help thinkin the slime on the fish. Maybe someone else can chime in to confirm. There is lots of ways to treat ich but tangs do get it a lot. Never buy a fish with dots no matter what people say, can easily lie to make a sale

usually this guy is spot on, been shopping with him for a very very long time and spends his own money and time in medicating the fish before he allows them to be sold to the customer.

I took it off his hands because i do Q/H tank myself and since these never fell off be it during the transfer of tanks or anything figured it wasn't ich after fall.

Can't see too well on the phone but dose seem like ich. I use light amounts of copper and some garlic with the food to treat my ich issues. Garlic is a great preventive and can help thinkin the slime on the fish. Maybe someone else can chime in to confirm. There is lots of ways to treat ich but tangs do get it a lot. Never buy a fish with dots no matter what people say, can easily lie to make a sale

Things that don't do crap to cure ich: light amounts of copper, formalin, and garlic.

Cures for ich: chloroquine phosphate, copper (at the right levels), hyposalinity, tank transfers.

PS: that looks like a small QT tank and I would suspect that you need to oxygenate the water. Also, tangs are more susceptible to ammonia, so if you had spike...

heres a better picture..

Things that don't do crap to cure ich: light amounts of copper, formalin, and garlic. Cures for ich: chloroquine phosphate, copper (at the right levels), hyposalinity, tank transfers. PS: that looks like a small QT tank and I would suspect that you need to oxygenate the water. Also, tangs are more susceptible to ammonia, so if you had spike...

here is the thing though, when i put him in the QT thats a tank transfer correct? If so, the ich didn't fall off at all which is why I figured it most likely wasn't ich.

I think the problem was possibly a spike but can a spike happen say in an hour or two? Also, i did have Prime in the water.

heres a better picture.. 68A6321E-F942-4419-B45A-242E1CCB85C5_zpsC65B4543-F28E-40F3-AFFF-FF33415FAF60_zps here is the thing though, when i put him in the QT thats a tank transfer correct? If so, the ich didn't fall off at all which is why I figured it most likely wasn't ich. I think the problem was possibly a spike but can a spike happen say in an hour or two? Also, i did have Prime in the water.

No, by tank transfer, you have to do basically daily tank transfers over the course of two weeks. Eventually you disrupt the lifecycle of the parasite.

Don't you have an ammonia test kit?

Things that don't do crap to cure ich: light amounts of copper, formalin, and garlic.

Cures for ich: chloroquine phosphate, copper (at the right levels), hyposalinity, tank transfers.

PS: that looks like a small QT tank and I would suspect that you need to oxygenate the water. Also, tangs are more susceptible to ammonia, so if you had spike...

The reason I say like copper is I see 90% of the people are here od on treatment,

With that being said garic has worked for me with a flame angel to help cure it and now I feed with garlic once in a while.

You may find out one day qt tanks are more work than they are worth. You may also find that introducing fish to a tank with perfect water quality and suitable tank mates will lead to fish fighting off ich without needing meds. Obessing over fish sickness usually leads to placing thus fish in an even more stressful environment leading to its demise.

well he was in this condition prior to QT so that isn't doing much in this case.

Trying to find a way for his dumb ass to eat and help fix his issue. he isn't helping me help him at all. seems doomed

Archived