inTank Media Baskets

cycling question

usnglock

i recently bought a 14 gallon biocube with live rock and live sand in it.. the tank had been set up for about 6 months before i got it and had no problems... well today i brought it home with the rocks wrapped in damp paper towels and left some water in the live sand. the only thing i didnt bring from the original set up was the water in it. will my tank go through another cycle or not? im guessing it will but just wanted to get others opinions on it. thanks in advance

Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong as I am new to saltwater tanks but I think maybe if the sand got stirred and there was enough die off on the rock you might experience a mini cycle. It all just depends on how long the rock was in transport.

The nitrifying bacteria mostly reside on surfaces (rock and sand), and not in the water. So not using the water will not affect the cycle. As Curt said, disturbing the sand bed can cause an ammonia spike, as could leaving the rock exposed to air for too long.

Remember, the cycle the same as an ammonia spike. An ammonia spike happens when there is too much ammonia for the existing bacteria populations to process (an unbalanced nitrogen cycle).

the Rocks were only out of the water for probably 2 hours during transport and refilling the tank.. we added another bag of live sand to it also. i plan on having a pistol again figured he would appreciate the deeper sand bed. thanks for the replies yall

Archived